13' GT stock + paxton = done

Easy

Live Fast Die Fun
Established Member
Hey guys, long time no speak! I think after months of debate I decided against getting into a 13' WRX STI, and getting back into a 13' GT Mustang. Was looking at mods and what these great motors can do and realized that I would ultimately want to drop a paxton on it to be satisfied, so instead of BS'n around, just pick up a base GT with track package and drop one on completely OEM. I have been reading about these "mail tunes" and from owning a few performance cars as safe and whatever they may be I would want to get a dyno tune regardless, being that this would be my daily driver. The tune would be made for 93 oct, E85 isn't readily available around me.

The goal of this car would be a quiet, reliable, fast, dyno-tuned conservatively, Daily Driver

Now since I want to get a dyno tune, getting a "tuner kit" seems like the best bet, and costs less. With a tuner kit, it seems as though I would only need 47 or 60lb injectors and spacers (if they were long). Other than that would I need a fuel pump or fuel rail? I noticed some kits come with these - again I think I would rather purchase a fuel pump then to buy a "boost-a-pump" etc. I would be running stock pulley and would have no plans to upgrade, the power is sufficient for the street.

I guess the next question is do mustangs have "open source" style tuning that a local or semi-local tuner can access? or must I purchase a handheld to get into the ECU for them to tune?

Other than that, I really see no reason to purchase anything for the car besides the paxton (yes driveline and suspension mods as well, but thats for another thread). I am 50/50 on doing an offroad H pipe, but my 04 cobra put down 520/499 on 91oct (I ran 93 but it was tuned for 91) and the thing ran beautifully, zero issues, and sounded fantastic - with just a borla stinger cat-back for an exhaust (stage 5 ported blower, smaller upper pulley, 14.5lbs of boost if i remember correctly). I am a fan of QUIET exhausts, was thinking of doing corsa SPORT axlebacks just to get more of a straight through muffler design (if it doesn't net me power, I'd go for something cheap like the GT500's, no need to spend 700 on no power! - theres other ways to make it sound good for less...). I like the borla "touring" - even for my 04 cobra - but since a stinger or "type-s" cat-back came installed to the OEM mid-pipe on the cobra I left her on there, fit and finish were fantastic. The OEM shorty headers, cats, & mid-pipes gave me ZERO issues, I passed inspection no problem and never had a CEL or even pulled over for a loud exhaust. What a joy.... thats why I am debating on leaving them on this car as well, past experience is telling me to at this point.....

Question - I know the GT500's AB's sound great, but are they maze-like chambers or a straight through design? Asked over at American Muscle what it would look like if I cut them open to view them from the top and they salesman was unsure! hmm.

Tuners, from what I remember here in NJ team JDM seemed to be the best but was costly. More concern when the time comes around on that though.

I'm sure I have more questions, but its 3am and have work early tomorrow morning and am starting to see double. Will post back tomorrow when I remember.

Thanks for the help, hoping to get back into a stang shortly!

Last edited:

nsty4vlve

Got Boost?
Established Member
No muffler will net you gains but the gt500 mufflers sound good and they are a chamber muffler not straight through. Also talk to team beefcake racing he has the best prices on Paxtons anywhere. A tuner kit will come with id1000 injectors and a boost a pump. And you will need a sct tuner to get into your pcm.

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
The JDM guys do their best tuning on tvs roots blowers, in fact wouldn't be surprised if they tried to talk you out of buying a Paxton and into a roush sc or whipple. That being said JPC in millersville Md. did an excellent job on my paxton. My car is completely streetable for a daily driver. Its 8lbs if boost makes great power! Yeah go with the id 1000 injectors with a boosta pump, that way if you decide later to up the boost you'll have more then enough fuel! Oh and buy an automatic, don't waste your time on the mt-82!

mhyjek

Established Member
Call Kevin at wicked motorsports in Nj great tuner look him up on Facebook as far the kit beefcake all the way he will get you best pricing!

Easy

Live Fast Die Fun
Established Member
DcWhy are you guys doing "boost a pumps" instead of replacing the FP with a new unit? I am entertaining the idea of an auto but I owned a SMG trans and regret it ... I figure no way I would regret a 6mt but could one day regret the auto. Hmm..

Last edited:

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
We have the best prices on the Paxton kits hands down.

We would be happy to install the kit for you as well, but might be a bit of a drive for you.

If your looking for someone local to do the physical install, JDM is a very reputable shop and does a great job. They have a great reputation and are vendors here as well.

Feel free to pm or call with any questions.

Beef
513-478-1965

NickSezz

Established Member
The JDM guys do their best tuning on tvs roots blowers, in fact wouldn't be surprised if they tried to talk you out of buying a Paxton and into a roush sc or whipple. That being said JPC in millersville Md. did an excellent job on my paxton. My car is completely streetable for a daily driver. Its 8lbs if boost makes great power! Yeah go with the id 1000 injectors with a boosta pump, that way if you decide later to up the boost you'll have more then enough fuel! Oh and buy an automatic, don't waste your time on the mt-82!

We would absolutely talk you into a Whipple or Roush TVS ;-)

It's not so much about the tuning aspect since we can tune both setups. We just prefer the reliability, simplicity and drivability of roots style supercharger. Since you are coming from a Cobra, the Whipple or Roush blower will best satisfy your type of power craving.

Here is a little dyno comparing a Roush TVS and Vortech kit running the same peak boost. The centri will make more top end, but the TVS will woop its butt on the way up there.

Roush_vs_Vortech_paxton.jpg

These options are a bit more expensive, but worth it in our opinion for building a reliable daily driver.

As for our shop work being on the higher end of the price spectrum...You know we live in one of the most expensive places to live in the US to begin with...Couple that with the unmatched craftsmanship that comes out of our garages and hey, you get what you pay for :beer:

When the time comes feel free to give me a call anytime to talk about the goals for your new Mustang. And good luck!

Nick
JDM

NickSezz

Established Member
DcWhy are you guys doing "boost a pumps" instead of replacing the FP with a new unit? I am entertaining the idea of an auto but I owned a SMG trans and regret it ... I figure no way I would regret a 6mt but could one day regret the auto. Hmm..

The simple answer is just that...simplicity. The boost-a-pump is a lot cheaper and easier to install than a real fuel system upgrade. It works but it is a band-aid on a broken leg and we never recommend it.

That said, there is no easy upgrade to keep the fuel system returnless due to the way Ford set this car up. That leaves most with the option of a full return style fuel system that cost on the average of $1,500-$2k.

I believe this may change once the 2015 models hit the streets. One of them is bound to have some sort of upgraded fuel system that may be compatible with the 2011-2014 cars but this is 100% speculation at this point.

Riptide

Established Member
What is with all this paranoia about boost a pumps? They've been using the damn things for what, decades now? It's not that big of a deal.

sleek98

Established Member
Also dont forget that Paxton doesnt want you to start the car if its colder than what 25 out, as it could cause damage. If you are throwing this on your DD then thats something to think about as well.

csb85

Established Member
Call Kevin at wicked motorsports in Nj great tuner look him up on Facebook as far the kit beefcake all the way he will get you best pricing!

I'll be taking my car there for a tune once I get my id1000's. Shaun from AED recommended him.

Easy

Live Fast Die Fun
Established Member
Thanks for the help guys, Nick, I apologize for speaking about JDM, as I haven't passed by or been in the mustang game for several (literally) years. It was inappropriate to speak about cost of anything before I even seriously inquired. I guess I have had a 04 cobra so I'd like to try a diff set up. Also if I have the track pack I'd imagine the instant torque isn't the best for hooking on the street or for a OEM NA motor which now has boost and lots of power going through it.

NickSezz

Established Member
Thanks for the help guys, Nick, I apologize for speaking about JDM, as I haven't passed by or been in the mustang game for several (literally) years. It was inappropriate to speak about cost of anything before I even seriously inquired. I guess I have had a 04 cobra so I'd like to try a diff set up. Also if I have the track pack I'd imagine the instant torque isn't the best for hooking on the street or for a OEM NA motor which now has boost and lots of power going through it.

No hard feelings at all man.

It is definitely more challenging getting a PD car to hook up on the street compared to a centri. With the right tires it is not too bad at all.

NickSezz

Established Member
Hey Nick,

Which inlet did each of these cars have on them? Stock boxes? JLT's?

Thanks...

Both had JLT open air kits.

I meant to compare the two as making the same peak power, but show how a TVS makes a lot more on the way up there. If I remember correctly average boost levels between the two were close.

It would be cool if I had data from one of those torque booster jobs to throw on that graph also.

Lets not let this turn into a centri/PD debate though. I have shared this graph before and as always each have their pros and cons :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread