'13 Boss AED Tune

USNjocson

CORPSMAN UP!
Established Member
The problem is I've been seeing this on bone stock cars on the factory tunes.
Since Winter blended fuel ended, I (and other tuners) have been seeing high knock values from 91-93 octane all up and down the East coast and Mid West. This was not the case 1 year ago. I can't help but think there has been a regional blend change causing the issues, or perhaps a huge volume of sub-par fuel?

The only thing similar out here we've found is Chevron 91 tends to take 2-3 degrees less timing than 76/BP/Shell. 76 being our 'preferred' fuel.

I've seen logs from places where only 90 octane is available and no knock logged, at the same time as I'm receiving logs with Knock on 5.0's with 93 in the tank. There is far more to the anti-detonation properties of fuel than *just* octane. Octane (in general) is a good indication of a good anti-knock fuel, but it does not mean as much as people think.

The only other thing we can think of is 'false' knock from either Loose, or faulty knock sensors, but we've not had a car in Northern CA with any logged knock problem (that has not been resolved with better fuel) to test this theory.

Do you make these tunes for 91 since you are out in CA or do you take geographical location into consideration when writing a tune? Myself and the pervious owner have been using 93 since the car was born. Do you prefer us east coast guys to run 89 over 93?

Shaun@AED

Do you make these tunes for 91 since you are out in CA or do you take geographical location into consideration when writing a tune? Myself and the pervious owner have been using 93 since the car was born. Do you prefer us east coast guys to run 89 over 93?

I will ONLY tune on premium fuel.
These engines are high compression with variable cam timing, which means they make a lot of cylinder pressure.

My base tunes are conservative at 24-25 degrees of ignition timing programmed. Based on the data logs I adjust timing and Fueling for the fuel in your tank. If it is questionable I will let you know.

Phantom

El Jeffe 302
Established Member
Will do. I decided not to worry about "what power am I missing?" It's definitely better and sounds great. Except the decels with AED tune now is causing my side pipes to not just bark and crack; but they deliver full on backfires that sound like cannons going off. I'll probably end up going with an X pipe!!!

Was he able to tune this out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

12C/OBoss

Established Member
One word "LUND"...

He had my Boss back in March of 2011 after lots of experience on the Coyote motor and I was in awe with his tunes. "Cam effect", race, street, and eventually 785RWHP with Kenne Bell and NO ISSUES. We ran 8400 RPM, race gas, 93, high boost, low boost, n/a, etc. I would NEVER have anyone other than Jon tune a Copperhead ECU. Take a look at the Texas mile cars, Chris Cruz's car, mine, Rick Wilson, Evolution Performance, and the Turbo kits he is selling...

dale5150

Established Member
I find it odd that most people say their car backfires on decel with AED tune. Mine went from backfiring so loud that I put 3/4 baffles in instead of open to fairly quiet with the AED tune. No backfiring at all really. Kinda miss it a little lol. Might open it back up.

Boss949

Established Member
funny, I really like the side exhausts and the barking, bubbling, etc on the decel. However, the increase in performance (tune/x pipe)is certainly worth the loss of the side exhausts.

DallasBoss

Established Member
Have you considered trying the MRT Boss specific race H pipe? It allows you to keep your Boss side pipes and uses high flow metallic substrate cats.

I'm myself want to keep my sidepipes and am soon buying Kooks headers with the Boss specific H pipe they offer.

Do you have future plans for headers, because ARH has an X pipe that retains Boss side pipe hook ups.

Last edited:

USNjocson

CORPSMAN UP!
Established Member
I find it odd that most people say their car backfires on decel with AED tune. Mine went from backfiring so loud that I put 3/4 baffles in instead of open to fairly quiet with the AED tune. No backfiring at all really. Kinda miss it a little lol. Might open it back up.

even without a tune the side exhaust backfires. This video shows a stock 2012 Boss with only Kooks side exhaust, driving on the dragon's tail.
Boss 302 slaying the dragon - YouTube

DallasBoss

Established Member
Bumping up an old thread. I too am having "massive knock activity" reported to me by Shaun for my initial data logs on a stock tune, using 93 octane Chevron, and then again with Exxon 93. Shaun says either bad gas or false knock, which he has seen caused by loose exhaust or metal to metal tapping noise picked up by the knock sensor. I know others have had the same fuel issue too. Has anyone in the DFW area had good results (no observed knock) with a certain type of 93 fuel?

KILRSVT

Established Member
I am looking forward to my aed tune,I hope I don't run into this issue I have an off road x pipe and mufflers only no cai. I actually think its better to run the stock unit due to the fact that the open filter design will be more saturated by under hood engine heat

Last edited:

Boss949

Established Member
I think you need an after market to run the tune?

Let me edit I'm positive you will need an aftermarket CAI for the AED Tune.

Shaun is great to work with.

Last edited:

KILRSVT

Established Member
^^^ I emailed Shaun and he said he prefers the stock unit, the after market cai will give you 15hp more with the hood up. I have a pump gas tune and race gas tune on 100 octane as well can't wait to install it !

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread