13/14 Rear Brake Pad Retaining Clips

ABlownBlueOval

Established Member
I'm wondering if anyone has had issues with the thin metal retaining clips that hold the tops of the brake pads inside the calipers. I have been dealing with a squeak for a while and finally got a chance to search and find it. Turns out the little clip on the drivers side rear brake shifts inside the caliper and slides outward so that it rubs on the inside face of the disc. Incredibly annoying and after taking it apart and reseting the clip, its already shifted out again after driving the car <50 miles. I really don't want to bring it to the dealer to have them monkey **ck it but I would also like it addressed being the car only has 26xx miles.

Anyone else deal with this?

Keith

barspen

Established Member
Any picts? Have you tried replacing the clips? AutoZone should have them for cheap and they are easy to replace.

The pad ends should press the clips into the groves on the caliper so there is little room to move. If there is enough play to touch the rotor, something is wrong. I always dab a little brake grease to easy an noise issues, but it sound like this is more of a deformed clip problem.

Snoopy49

Established Member
The Ford Workshop manual says to replace the clips when you change pad and the clips are only available through Ford when you buy the pad set. So you will have to get the clips from an alternate source like the one barspen suggested.

Last edited:

Papaw

Established Member
I've been having the same problem. Mine is on the pass side. Changed the pads and a few days later the squeak returned. I'll have to take mine apart and see if the problem is the same as yours.

Users who are viewing this thread