13/14 GT500 allocation situation VS past top tier Mustang & implications for future?

reason4treason

Established Member
the allocations situation with the 13/14 GT500 is the first time I've ever learned about what all is involved with allocations but my '13 GT500 was the only car I ever ordered. I've always bought something off a lot.

was it like this with the Terminators for example? did dealers have to pay a fee to cover how ever many years of production the vehicle was expected to be produced? were allocations any more or less plentiful?

how long have there been allocations for Mustangs?

do you expect that the future 'top tier' Mustang will have an allocation arrangement similar to that of the 13/14 GT500? was the demand so much greater for this particular vehicle that finding an true allocation was more difficult than usual?

has it always been the case that Ford will neither confirm or deny that a dealer has an allocation to cover a VOC?

do Raptors have allocations now? ever?

Last edited:

04SVTMystic

Powered By Cyberdyne
Established Member
Back when the Terminator was produced SVT vehicles were still only sold by a select group of SVT Certified Dealers. They only numbered roughly 700 or so if memory serves. They had to pay into the program yearly and have special training and service people.

When the GT500 came out in '07 that changed and the former SVT dealers were not very happy that every Ford store now could sell the product. Allocation has been and will always be limited on these vehicles.

reason4treason

Established Member
Back when the Terminator was produced SVT vehicles were still only sold by a select group of SVT Certified Dealers. They only numbered roughly 700 or so if memory serves. They had to pay into the program yearly and have special training and service people.

When the GT500 came out in '07 that changed and the former SVT dealers were not very happy that every Ford store now could sell the product. Allocation has been and will always be limited on these vehicles.

I know that was 7 years ago but do you think that's made it harder to know which dealers provide better service than others?

dubbsfaris

Shelby SP Region Director
Established Member

The difference was, everyone knew the Shelby AND GT500 were going to sell like sugar coated crack. Dealers still had to pay the couple grand, but every dealer knew they could make it back. After the Raptor came out, the hold outs were almost zero. It was simply that SVT vehicles went from a handful of sales at marginal profit to common purchases up to 10x the margain. Which led to-

Svt has the smartest marketing strategy ive ever heard of. Build the demand -1.

OP
So many of your questions rely on us, not them for answers.

reason4treason

Established Member
OP
So many of your questions rely on us, not them for answers.

when you say, "US" you mean that the demand side, the customer side is what drives FMC's gameplan for the way allocations are distributed?

it seems to me like Ford's relationship with each individual dealer is the largest factor by far , and the customer is secondary. otherwise, they could just fill each VOC and it would be first come, first serve. Ford/SVT could just add a fee to sell one along with whatever other costs are included in final price. maybe just make the holdback proportionately larger and include it in there.

some customers get pretty irked, for example those of us who got lied to in early spring 2012 had to deal with a stampede by the time the end of June got here and we learned the truth. FMC knows there are customers who got lied to by dealers. I'm curious about whether just that sort of thing has been going on for 20 years or if the 13/14 was an extremely unusual case.

when was the first Mustang that required allocations? did any of them in the 90s?

Last edited:

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
This all started back in 93 when the SVT program began. Dealers had to "buy in" to be an SVT dealer. There were just under 800 as I recall. They received special marketing materials and training. For 93, most dealers didn't get anything extra for Cobras and the buying public was still unaware of them for the most part so they didn't sell like hotcakes and the new model was looming on the horizon.

When the 94 came out SVT dealers realized they had something special especially due to the 94 Pace Car Convertible Cobra and that is when dealers started charging ADMs and the allocation game began.

With only 1000 Verts built that meant every dealer was entitled to one and the remaining were scattered to various dealers as a 2nd vehicle.

SVT came up with a criteria to get additional vehicles above your one allocation each year and larger dealers received more allocation.

Tom

Users who are viewing this thread