'12 bolt-on 5.0 vs '12 stock Challenger SRT-8

txA&M08

Established Member
Went on a cruise with some co-workers yesterday and found a closed course to run a Challenger 392. He was stock except cat-back and had a camera guy riding shotgun. I have CAI, Boss manifold, ARH long tubes & catted X, and running 295 Michelins on the back. You can probably guess what the outcome was but here's a video of the carnage...

2012 Mustang 5.0 vs 2012 Challenger SRT-8 - YouTube

To be fair, if the passenger had been in my car, it would've been much, much closer.

OneSlowV

Established Member
Good race! I don't have the boss manifold or headers it was alot closer for me against my 392 charger. I held mine off by a half car untill 150 mph after that my charger passed my 5.0. I was able to peg out my speedo but it didn't matter lol.

scott_0

Established Member
good thing it wasnt closer, that closed course lol looks a little narrow.......

Ghoust

Will Over Skill
Established Member
Great kill. This is the reason SRT dissappoints me. They have to do something about either lightening their Chargers/challengers or putting more power into their motors.

txA&M08

Established Member
Good race, your car sounds mean!

Your car sounds great!

Thanks fellas. Borla S-types are borderline too loud with long tubes. Sound great at part throttle though.

Great kill. This is the reason SRT dissappoints me. They have to do something about either lightening their Chargers/challengers or putting more power into their motors.

IIRC the 6.4 Hemi puts down around 420rwhp on a generous dyno. Problem is it's wedged in a 4200lb car with bicycle tires on the back.

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member

How is this dissappointing? It's a stock vs modded race, the outcome was clear befor even watching the race:shrug:. I don't think you can even really do minor mods to the 392's yet, you have to spend BIG money to mod them by swapping ECU's, now thats a dissappointment to me.

OneSlowV

Established Member
I trapped 114mph with mine bone stock. A stock 5.0 would be some car lengths back against one. Plenty of guys over 450 rwhp with bolt ons and one made 470ish to the tire. Witch put most guys into the high 11s with 117mph trap speeds or higher. For there weight they do move out if they did drop to much weight what would there be for the HEMI to race lol ?

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member
You don't have to swap ECUs to mod them any more.

This is good to know, I have a friend that wants a SRT. He was looking at a 392 but when he found out about the difficulty off tuning them he started looking at 6.1's. So a handheld predator is available now? Guess I should be asking this on the Charger board lol.

Users who are viewing this thread