12.1 a/f??

j2schill

Established Member
Does anyone run in the low 12's with the terminator? I am right now but i have a tune that pulls a couple degrees of timing just to be safe after a pulley swap to a 3.0. I need to data log it to find out for sure whats goin on, but the wideband proved to be 12.1's across the board.

03 Whippled Cobra

Established Member
Does anyone run in the low 12's with the terminator? I am right now but i have a tune that pulls a couple degrees of timing just to be safe after a pulley swap to a 3.0. I need to data log it to find out for sure whats goin on, but the wideband proved to be 12.1's across the board.

Was the 12.1 at the tailpipe or a bung welded in before the cats? If it was taken from a bung I personally wouldn't feel to "safe" running that a/f. I'd rather richen it up a bit and run a max of 11.7 or so. But that is just me. If that reading was taken at the tailpipe and you have cats on the car then you are probably right around the 11.7 mark and I would feel OK with that.

Edit: My response was based on 93 octane. If you run race gas I would have no problem running that a/f for some trips down the 1/4 mile.

j2schill

Established Member
it was at the 02 sensor bung....I mean the only real worry hear is knock right?..and if it pulls timing i doubt it is knocking...

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
i dunno, little too lean for my liking.

I had my tuner do 11.5:1. Its my DD and id rather lose 10hp and save my motor than go for the edge and blow it within a month, and always have to wonder about going 3rd-4th on the freeway how insane things were getting in #7 & #8 cylinders. I even agreed to lower timing in the rear cylinders to help.

j2schill

Established Member
But if im not knocking..i dont have anything to worry about...and if im not maxin out the injectors whats the problem?...Does anyone in Indiana have a datalogger i could use?

Wiseguy

Established Member
. With gas today that is pushing it for a DD. Not much margin of error on the table.

03 Whippled Cobra

Established Member
But if im not knocking..i dont have anything to worry about...and if im not maxin out the injectors whats the problem?...Does anyone in Indiana have a datalogger i could use?

You're putting too much emphasis on "knocking". You could lean your car out to 13/1 AF and still not hear knocking. It doesn't mean bad things aren't happening in your cylinders. Anything over 12 is just too aggressive for 93 octane and a daily driver. Drop it to 11.5 - 11.7, lose the 10 or so HP associated with it, but have a much much safer tune. Just my .02

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
You're putting too much emphasis on "knocking". You could lean your car out to 13/1 AF and still not hear knocking. It doesn't mean bad things aren't happening in your cylinders.
True, combustion temps are going to be higher but not necessarily any knocking would be heard.

Users who are viewing this thread