116 vs e85

VenomSVT03

CRUSHER
Established Member
Anyone knows if 116 makes less power than e85? I been thinking of using 116 since i been having some issues with my fuel system on e85, i really dont wanna spend more money on fuel parts. The cost of 116 doesnt really bother me much ($70 5gal jug) since my car isnt my DD anymore. But i really dont wanna switch to 116 if there is a big difference in power. Thoughts?

VenomSVT03

CRUSHER
Established Member
Bro, what's the problem?

You're better off with E85, trust me.

My tuner told me im maxing out the pumps and the car is gettin lean @ 6200 rpms, and there is a few people running my same exact fuel system and they got no issues. They're fpdc is in the 80%, i dont understand how mine is maxed out :shrug:

blowngt

Established Member
My tuner told me im maxing out the pumps and the car is gettin lean @ 6200 rpms, and there is a few people running my same exact fuel system and they got no issues. They're fpdc is in the 80%, i dont understand how mine is maxed out :shrug:

What's Dennis say?

If I had to make a guess (without knowing any details), I'd look at:

How much fuel pressure are you seeing at WOT?
Are you sure both pumps are working?
When was the last time you changed your filter after switching to E85?

I just read your other post. Kevin's my boy and he knows his shit as well, so something is definately not right here.

If all those other things check out, then take her to the track. That is the real test.

VenomSVT03

CRUSHER
Established Member
I posted a pic of how me and Dennis wired everything up and Kevin suggested a couple things, so we are gonna fix that. Then ill go tune it again, this time im gonna try another tuner maybe ill have better luck. If its not that, then i dont know what im gonna do

VenomSVT03

CRUSHER
Established Member
What's Dennis say?

If I had to make a guess (without knowing any details), I'd look at:

How much fuel pressure are you seeing at WOT?
Are you sure both pumps are working?
When was the last time you changed your filter after switching to E85?

I just read your other post. Kevin's my boy and he knows his shit as well, so something is definately not right here.

If all those other things check out, then take her to the track. That is the real test.

I THINK the fuel pressure went up to 100% then dropped to 60% at WOT. Both pumps gotta be working, they got less than 200 miles on them, the whole fuel system is new it was installed like 3 months ago right before the motor took a shit. I dont really wanna take it to the track if the fuel aint right, i sure as hell dont wanna blow up a brand new motor

2k4Terminator

Established Member
Every car is different... I know a guy running E85 at 25 degrees of timing with 60# injectors, although that should do the trick on a ported eaton. I have the exact setup and I ran out of injector at 21 degrees of timing... So I'm just upgrading to 80's... Oh and E85 is muuuuuuch better than 116!

blowngt

Established Member
I THINK the fuel pressure went up to 100% then dropped to 60% at WOT. Both pumps gotta be working, they got less than 200 miles on them, the whole fuel system is new it was installed like 3 months ago right before the motor took a shit. I dont really wanna take it to the track if the fuel aint right, i sure as hell dont wanna blow up a brand new motor

I would ask Dennis to check fuel pressure since it's a returnless setup (100% you're talking about is duty cycle I believe).

He'll figure it out.

Trust me though, spending another $1000 on fuel system stuff now to use E85 will come out considerably cheaper in the long run over trying to use 116 or C16. Been there........done that.......

VenomSVT03

CRUSHER
Established Member
I would ask Dennis to check fuel pressure since it's a returnless setup (100% you're talking about is duty cycle I believe).

He'll figure it out.

Trust me though, spending another $1000 on fuel system stuff now to use E85 will come out considerably cheaper in the long run over trying to use 116 or C16. Been there........done that.......

Yea we are going to do some changes on the wiring, that Kevin suggested, and then its back to the dyno again. BTW who tunes your car at Jakes shop?

blowngt

Established Member
Yea we are going to do some changes on the wiring, that Kevin suggested, and then its back to the dyno again. BTW who tunes your car at Jakes shop?

I'm running a stand alone (Megasquirt), and with Jakes help I do most of it myself.

Ken Bjones tunes at Jakes. From what I can tell he's pretty damn good.

VenomSVT03

CRUSHER
Established Member
I'm running a stand alone (Megasquirt), and with Jakes help I do most of it myself.

Ken Bjones tunes at Jakes. From what I can tell he's pretty damn good.

Yea thats who im gonna tune it with this time around. Andy Speranza told me he is amazing and recomended him

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Diego, I have tuned a few cars here locally and all were identical when it came to FPDC and this same set up. It works. I'm not sure if it is in the tune or wiring but I thought I would try to help out.

We even tried a GT500 Dual BAP VS the regular 40 amp BAP and it didn't make a difference. Both dropped FPDC by around 25%.

Edit: Fuel Pressure was raised on all tunes to 50 psi from the base pressure od 39. Without it the injectors were at 98% Duty Cycle @ 6000 RPM. Once we bumped the FP to 50, it dropped injector duty cycle to the mid to low 80's depending on how high we reved it.

Last edited:

Eatonualive281

Established Member
i was in the boat about the fuel type aswell bro, but nobody could give me a straight answer..... WHY IS E85 ABLE TO SUPPORT MORE POWER THAN C16?? lol...anybody know? lets just say the fuel system and motor are built and can handle over 1000whp, what fuel would you rather use to get there? anybody?

on another note, OP, i really hope you get everything straight! your car will rip! good luck man. those gremlins are very annoying to say the least

Users who are viewing this thread