11' v6 Mustang Trouble Code p0019

SmokenGRA03

SmokEater "LIVE STRONG"
Established Member
Last month a customer came in with his '11 v6 that was throwing a p0019 code (Cam and Crank timing problem) and making a ticking noise. He installed a Pro Charger kit and has it tuned by Justin @ VMP. He did some diagnostic steps and testing that all came back fine. He basically gave up and brought it to me after him and I exhausted all ideas that didn't have to do with taking the engine a part.
I thought it was a spun bearing or a bad timing Gide since the ticking was coming from the front of the engine. I pulled the timing cover off and found that the lower timing gear keeper broke. The Design is not like the v8's which have a long key. This Design has a round cylinder type key that sits up right in the crank. Installing a blower to this engine puts a lot of stress on the timing components. The weakest part is this key....

ju8u5any.jpg

With this key moving around, the gear and crank got banged up a bit.

a9uzahas.jpg

3uvyjuvy.jpg

A stock replacement key wouldn't work so I came up with an idea of making a hardened, thicker and longer key (I know I turned someone on by saying that). This is what I came up with...

Stock vs New Key

egu5y7a5.jpg

Now to drill out the crank which has to be precise and with hardened drill bits which made the warn old hole to a bigger new hole...

qy4e8u3a.jpg

Everything was done with crank still in car.

Now this is where I had some trouble. The key now is too big for the new (Stock from Ford) crank timing gear. After breaking some drilling bits trying to open the gear Gide hole to fit the new pin (Tested on old gear) I decided to make the pin that is round coming out of crank, squared to fit in the gear. Now the pin is a grade 8 piece of steel I had to bring it to my machine shop to make this precise....

I installed the new gear and pin. They fit better the the old design rounded pin. Placed the cam and crank in timing and installed the chain, guide and timing chain tensioner.

u2a3ahub.jpg

I posted this so others (shops or weekend mechanics) that run into this problem can see one idea that could help. If you have any questions, you can call and ask....

6etuga9u.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread