'11 - No crank, won't start

Maxpowers

Established Member
Car is a 2011 GT500. I've had it about 4 years now, and haven't added or changed anything in over a year. It has started randomly not cranking / starting. Car is on a trickle charger when parked and has a newer battery.

When it doesn't crank, I let up the clutch and try everything again. It usually cranks within a few trys. It doesn't do this every time. Seems like once out of 25 - 50 starts.

I'm guessing the clutch pedal safety switch? Do these cars have a starter relay?
Any ideas?

RBB

Established Member
Clutch safety switch is a good place to start. Mine does that occasionally as well. I've got the switch, just been too lazy to contort myself down there to replace it since it's so sporadic. Check and make sure the rubber plunger on your clutch pedal that makes contact with the switch hasn't fallen out.

Maxpowers

Established Member
Clutch safety switch is a good place to start. Mine does that occasionally as well. I've got the switch, just been too lazy to contort myself down there to replace it since it's so sporadic. Check and make sure the rubber plunger on your clutch pedal that makes contact with the switch hasn't fallen out.

Can you post a picture? Having trouble finding one online. I'm not sure what it's suppose to look like.

RBB

Established Member
Here you go....make sure that rubber bumper hasn't fallen out.

Clutch Interlock Switch 2.jpg

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
Even if everything looks to be okay, put a few pieces of duct tape on the end of the rubber snubber to see if it helps.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
If the clutch safety switch is a 2 wire, you should be able to pull the connector and jump the wire to eliminate the switch as the cause or not. I beleive its a normally open switch and closes to allow engine start.

Also, the starter solenoid has failed possibly. Our 5.4s have an integrated solenoid/starter assembly I think. If you have an assistant handy, have assistant depress clutch fully and attempt to start car. Make sure wheels are chocked and the parking brake is FULLY and firmly engaged and obviously trans is in neutral.

This is important because while your assistant tries to crank, you need to get under the car and tap on the starter. If it cranks and starts, you know where your issue is.

nxhappy

Established Member
even a newer battery can randomly take a shit. First easy step: load test your battery (also check for corrosion or lose connections)

second test: starter function , also starter solenoid , all fuses

OldYeller

Established Member
Premium Member
I’ve been chasing the same issue as well. Swapped the safety switch and made no difference. I have long tubes and assumed maybe the excessive heat nuked the starter so swapped it. New starter appeared to have fixed it, it then it happened again. At this point it is either the starter relay or something totally different.

Maxpowers

Established Member
I’ve been chasing the same issue as well. Swapped the safety switch and made no difference. I have long tubes and assumed maybe the excessive heat nuked the starter so swapped it. New starter appeared to have fixed it, it then it happened again. At this point it is either the starter relay or something totally different.

Do you know where the starter relay is on these? That's my second guess behind the clutch switch.

It's such a pain because it only happens about every 25 starts for me. I probably need to bite the bullet and have some parts on hand to swap out the next time it happens.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
It would take about 2 minutes to cut 1/2" squares out of a piece of duct tape and stack them and place it on the rubber plunger for the clutch safety switch contact. It may not be the switch, but the contact. I went through this when I swapped out my clutch master cylinder for the 13-14 unit.

BlowerMan

Established Member
On mine, it had a random no crank condition as well. It ended up being a loose pin in the power distribution box next to the computer. The starter signal pin had a loose contact. Drove me bonkers trying to diagnose.

Maxpowers

Established Member
It would take about 2 minutes to cut 1/2" squares out of a piece of duct tape and stack them and place it on the rubber plunger for the clutch safety switch contact. It may not be the switch, but the contact. I went through this when I swapped out my clutch master cylinder for the 13-14 unit.

I plan on doing this before driving it again. Couldn't hurt.

On mine, it had a random no crank condition as well. It ended up being a loose pin in the power distribution box next to the computer. The starter signal pin had a loose contact. Drove me bonkers trying to diagnose.

Can you give some more info? Maybe a photo to show what you mean?

BlowerMan

Established Member
The starter signal wire in the power distribution box had a pin with a weak connection. Took the box apart and tweaked the pin to connect. Have someone tap on the box and wiggle the wires underneath it when trying to crank.

Snoopy49

Established Member
2013-14 Mustang Battery Junction Box. This shows the location of the starter relay on a 2013-14, it may be the same on a 2011.

2013-14 Mustang BATTERY JUNCTION BOX (BJB)-2.jpg

Last edited:

Maxpowers

Established Member
Finally happened again. Definitely not the clutch switch. Pulled the starter relay under the hood and swapped it with the wiper relay. It started and the wipers don't work. Going to assume the relay is bad.

For those trying to fix the same issue, the starter relay is in the top right (52) and the wiper relay is in the middle (54). Might help you out on the side of the road.

Attachments

• 20190519_150646.jpg
    20190519_150646.jpg
    210 KB · Views: 265

Users who are viewing this thread