11' GT500 with excessive rear end slop?

wenger828

Established Member
As title states, i've noted that my right rear brake makes a squeaking noise, changes with going around turns. Lifted my car and noted the right rear wheel had about almost 1/2" (estimate) of in and out play/slop. Left rear had noticeably less. I've been road course'ing the car and noted this after my last track session. Also brake pedal has gotten "softer", suspect that the in and out movement of right rear axle shaft is opening up the distance between brake pads & rotor. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to what to look before before i open up the rear diff? What contains/limits the movement of the rear axle shafts (I know there are U-clips that secure the axle from coming out)? Is the axle shaft bearing pressed onto the axle shaft and help contain movement? Any tips appreciated!

EDIT: should have said rear end axle shaft slop, not slop in the entire rear end, in the title!

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
The way the car plants power to the right rear tire, you could have a worn out wheel bearing.

barspen

Established Member
Have you looked at the rear diff bushing? Mine was cracked and dry-rotted so I replaced it with Poly after 60K of street driving a several HPDE events. Also, do you have the stock Upper Control Arm?

wenger828

Established Member
It's not play in the entire rear end (i miswrote the title) but play in the axle shaft in and out. Like if i lifted the rear end, and put both my arms around the rear tire and pulled it out. All my control arms have been changed with heim joints so there aren't any rubber bushings to go bad

Have you looked at the rear diff bushing? Mine was cracked and dry-rotted so I replaced it with Poly after 60K of street driving a several HPDE events. Also, do you have the stock Upper Control Arm?

merkyworks

Established Member
I had an issue like this before, the clutch material on the clutch discs in the differential had worn away. This provided slack in the axle assembly and the axle would float in and out, when going around a turn the brake rotor was pushed into the brake caliper and caused a squeaking/grinding noise.

Users who are viewing this thread