'11 GT Observations...

Ray Lucca

Established Member
I just put my 03 Term. Vert. up on the market. Checked out the new '11 5.0 GT. A few observations:
The clutch felt like driving a Honda, will it really hold up to even minor modding?? The GT500 Clutch was light too...
I'm a big guy but fit very well and was comfortable with a few quibbles..
1. I kept hitting my right knee on the console, it seems to jut out.
2. The console storage top is flat, not elevated, like most cars. I tend to drive leaning on the top and it seems too low
3. The shifter is real short and I kept missing gears, maybe just not used to it....???
4. The gauges are kind of hard to read, again maybe because they are new to me...
Car was quick, but I might have to see what Ford Racing is going to offer for a Blower, or look at a GT500. Might need to drive the GT again. What do you guys think????

wjk

Established Member
I test drove a Terminator and a 2011 5.0 in the same day. I guess you could call my review unbiased since I had never driven either of them... The Terminator lacked big time in the interior department. It was more confined, and the people in the front and back were all uncomfortable. The Terminator took a lot more effort to steer, shift, put in the clutch, and just drive in general. The 5.0 was very easy to drive and I feel the shifter and everything else I can think of was placed just perfectly. The Terminator on the other hand took some time to get used to. The shifter was too far forward and the seat buttons were a bit odd to me.

Aside from the comfortable aspect. The 5.0 was not nearly as much fun to drive. The throttle response was much slower and did not seem nearly as fast. The Cobra on the other hand was a blast to drive and was torquey as a mofo! I plan to buy the Terminator whenever this 05 sells (if ever)!

OhIIICobra

Established Member
I'm with you 100% on the clutch feel. That is really the only thing I don't like about the car. I'm going from a terminator to 5.0 as well, just need to find the right one to pick-up. Stock for Stock it feels like my terminator did when it was new on the stock pulley and everything. The 3.73's were nice.

ViciousJay

Established Member
I test drove a Terminator and a 2011 5.0 in the same day. I guess you could call my review unbiased since I had never driven either of them... The Terminator lacked big time in the interior department. It was more confined, and the people in the front and back were all uncomfortable. The Terminator took a lot more effort to steer, shift, put in the clutch, and just drive in general. The 5.0 was very easy to drive and I feel the shifter and everything else I can think of was placed just perfectly. The Terminator on the other hand took some time to get used to. The shifter was too far forward and the seat buttons were a bit odd to me.

Aside from the comfortable aspect. The 5.0 was not nearly as much fun to drive. The throttle response was much slower and did not seem nearly as fast. The Cobra on the other hand was a blast to drive and was torquey as a mofo! I plan to buy the Terminator whenever this 05 sells (if ever)!

it is unbiased, The terminator feels more responsive due tot he blower, the interior is classic to me and the car hugs me more then i hug it in the seat at least. Also the terminator steering to me is firmer which i like better and HATEEEEE with the 5.0 because it feels like a toyota to me. I assure you there is a bushing and suspension tightening in my car's future VERY SOON

to the OP there is a fix that will make the clutch firmer as well as remove the dreaded stuck clutch pedal issue people been having, takes about 5 min to do. I did it yesterday and its a night and day feeling. But like you im 6'3 and have a problem getting comfortable, but i know it will take a week or two to break in the seat and to find my sweet spot

Last edited:

wazslow

Established Member
The throttle response is in the drive by wire setup in the new 5.0 vs a cable operated setup in the Cobra. If you get a tune on a new 5.0 it helps throttle response greatly. I have had an 03 Cobra, and I would take the new 5.0 over it anyday!

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
To the OP, the center console blows in all the S197's. The parking brake is on the wrong side so it interfers with legroom on the driver side, and the console lid is to low.

kingnut

Established Member
drive by wire sucks so much ass. a muscle car should never have it.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
My observation:

If you want more than 500rwhp get the gt500!!!

If you want a fast well balanced car get the 11 gt!

Adding a blower/turbo kit will put you into the price range of a lightly used 10 gt500 or newer and you still will not have the cubes the gt500 has or the durability the gt500 has seen!
It will also get rid or your good f/r weight ratio and hurt handling!

Building the gt the right way will get you above 500 crank horsepower with minimal work, then take off some weight anf have a rocket for the strip or road course!!!!:rockon:

kingnut

Established Member
My observation:

Adding a blower/turbo kit will put you into the price range of a lightly used 10 gt500 or newer and you still will not have the cubes the gt500 has or the durability the gt500 has seen!

Building the gt the right way will get you above 500 crank horsepower with minimal work, then take off some weight anf have a rocket for the strip or road course!!!!:rockon:

english do you speak it?

ViciousJay

Established Member
My observation:

i dont know if thats the best route actually! You could easily save 10-20K in mods and do the '11 GT. Buy forged pistons and rods, and throw a blower on with some other goodies like tuning and tires and exhaust and your still way under the GT500 asking price. Heck theres cars in the 10's without FI already, It doesnt seem the GT500 is the bang for buck anymore :nono:

Last edited:

project_pegasus

Established Member
i dont know if thats the best route actually! You could easily save 10-20K in mods and do the '11 GT. Buy forged pistons and rods, and throw a blower on with some other goodies like tuning and tires and exhaust and your still way under the GT500 asking price. Heck theres cars in the 10's without FI already, It doesnt seem the GT500 is the bang for buck anymore :nono:

i think his main point was on the engine size itself (or atleast it would have been for me ) but yah your right bang for your buck gt500 is prolly not it now if you want a bigger E-pen!$ then go for the Gt500 :-D jk ..kinda.. but as somone else also put the slightly older gt500 are about the same price of the new 5.0's yah you'd gain the cast iron block but meh

Last edited:

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member

How in the hell do you do that?

35k for the mustang gt. Blower/intercooler tune intake exhaust and your at 45k. And you have yet to forge the motor for high boost!

You can find 2010 under 3k miles for that price and you may find a new one for that price. Hell there is a new 08 gt500 at dealer in nor cal for under 40k!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread