11' GT A6 -- Went from 3.15s to 4.10s.. Better times, but theres a catch..

scotmach

Established Member
If your car spins like crazy with the tires you have steeper gears wont help, auto or manual. The point I'm making is when the car is hooking. 4:10 will be quicker. Auto or manual.
Actually no as the testing has proven the 4.10's are no quicker.
GET SOME REAL TIRES and u will be very happy with the 4.10 gears .maybe a hoosier dr 275/60/15.
I run a 15" M/T drag radial and still spin with my 3.15's. You've got to take the gearing in the transmission into consideration.

Last edited:

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
Line up identical cars with dr's 1 with 3:15's and 1 with 4:10's the car with 4:10's will win...if there is no difference like you say even that car would have shown it...you just refuse to accept the facts.

coyoteugly5.0

Established Member
Black Beast.. I thought like you as well, that's why I went with the 4.10s. Heres the real problem...

Problem one:If both cars dead hook, yes the 4.10s will jump it out the hole.. and maaaaaybe to the 1/8, but then you start paying for what you gained on the top end. My car is noticeably slower after 3rd gear compared to the 3.15s after 3rd.

Problem two: The transmission gears. I read somewhere that 1st and 2nd are geared so low, that its equivalent to the old school fox bodies W/ AOD's and 5:xx gear. Its almost like it added a gear, imagine 1st being even shorter, and two stages of 2nd, it keeps the car out of its powerband longer. (about 1-2 seconds) Ive managed to get the tune set to hold 4th up to about 7300 or so, just so it doesn't shift into 5th, like most cars you see with 4.10s tend to do, so that's added shifts.

Where I'm at right now tho, is dead hook to dead hook, I don't know if the 3.15s would catch and pass the 4.10s (its not if, its when) on this car or not.. its a close call IF their both hooking. Im just asking because I know it will be easier to get the 3.31s to hook, which is my ultimate goal without using drag radials since I don't want to get by a Camaro at the red light and blow the tires off.

coyote302

Established Member
Scotmach is right...there is no gain to go 4.10 on auto.The weak part that slow those 2011 + auto is converter.It is better to leave 3.15 in and save money to buy a converter.The 1st and 2nd on those 6r80 are gear very low so no need to change rear gear....I have 3.15 and a little 2c converter and my best 60 ft was 1.60....

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
Lol this thread is funny and reminds me of this: "Never argue with an idiot. He'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience."

Auto and manual trans comparison is not apples to apples. 3:15 vs 4:10 is a matter of the auto car crossing the finish line in a completely different gear. There is not set in stone "A is better than B" especially when comparing such wildly different variables.

This is why the slow stay slow and the fast get faster.

coyoteugly5.0

Established Member
From my experience going from the 3.15s to the 4.10s.. I like the 3.15s better I believe. I've read everywhere that the 3.31 is the perfect gear for the auto, so I may go with 3.31s and a 4c.

Someone asked me earlier why my whole rear end was shot.. So I've been researching getting better 60fts and was reading that with a lowered car on stock UCA, it could cause excessive wear on the pinion gears, and axle bearings. My car is lowered 2 inches in the rear with adjustable Dspecs, It also has blue aftermarket looking arms around the sway bar.. Other than that.. stock.

Is it possible the 2 inch drop caused it? Could that also be part of my traction problems? I read a thread earlier with guys wit 5-600rwhp was hooking on street tires, but they listed a full list of suspension components.. I may look into UCA, LCA, Relocation bracket combo for starters. Would this help with the traction?

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
Here is an auto car that switched from 3:55 to 4:10's the times are shown at the end of the video:

http://youtu.be/m-IHkzh-rVY

This had me laughing pretty good. Obviously you're not to familiar with cars.

No shit he went faster with the 4.10's there was almost a 2000' DA difference and he went to slicks and skinnies instead of his stock tires and rims on the 3.55 run.

video clip by spaded707, on Flickr

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
no one answered this the 1st time i asked it, so i will ask again......2 Identical 2014 gt's both with the same dr's set at the same exact tire pressures, both are autos 1 with 3:15's 1 with 4:10's and both cars are dead hooking. who wins the quarter mile race...(not the half mile race) the 1/4 mile?.. my money is on the 4:10 car.

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
no one answered this the 1st time i asked it, so i will ask again......2 Identical 2014 gt's both with the same dr's set at the same exact tire pressures, both are autos 1 with 3:15's 1 with 4:10's and both cars are dead hooking. who wins the quarter mile race...(not the half mile race) the 1/4 mile?.. my money is on the 4:10 car.
Not going to aknowledge the post above you?

As far as you're question scott already posted the thread where mike said the 3.15's where a touch faster then the 4.10's.

Last edited:

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
Not going to aknowledge the post above you?

As far as you're question scott already posted the thread where mike said the 3.15's where a touch faster then the 4.10's.

all that has been said by me and anyone else is just opinions until you line them up like i said in my question. You wont know. Show us the tangible proof , "all the rest is just talk" you of all people should understand that!

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
all that has been said by me and anyone else is just opinions until you line them up like i said in my question. You wont know. Show us the tangible proof , "all the rest is just talk" you of all people should understand that!
How is it just talk when a well known tuner does his own testing?

scotmach

Established Member
And you would lose your money.

Isn't it painfully obvious that you're alone on an island here? You're just trying to be argumentative here but are really out of your league.

Mike Rousch proved it already. Go ahead and call him out.

Last edited:

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
Can you say for sure that, the tuner lined 2 identical cars up 1 with 4:10's 1 with 3:15's ran them and the 3:15's won? Or are you going on what some else said he said! Thats all talk, theres only one real way to prove it. Just line em up!

Users who are viewing this thread