'11 5.0 steering wheel off center?

Nickyoobatz

Established Member
I picked up a used '11 GT Premium about a month and a half ago, and I just noticed the steering wheel is off to the left a little when the car drives straight. No pulling or anything, everything drives fine.

I did a little searching on this and other forums but I'm getting mixed results. Will an alignment fix this or do the tie-rods just need to be adjusted? :shrug:

87hatchy

Established Member
Mine is like that too. Happened after I got it aligned. Its only very very slightly off center though.

When its getting aligned, they put the steering wheel where they think is dead center then adjust the tierods from there, leaving the wheel where it is. If the car was aligned in the past, the person aligning the car probably just had the wheel slightly off before adjusting the tierods. No biggie, it can be fixed.

Heck, maybe it even came from the factory like that if its only very slightly off.

hitmix300

Established Member
Ya a front end alignment will fix this issue. Just mention it to them. Should be 60 ish for the job. That's what it costs locally here.

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
When you say off center do you mean it's turned to the left/right, or physically off center from where the driver sits?

I have noticed in my 2013 that the entire steering wheels is actually about 1" to the left of center of my body.

08mojo

Established Member
When you say off center do you mean it's turned to the left/right, or physically off center from where the driver sits?

I have noticed in my 2013 that the entire steering wheels is actually about 1" to the left of center of my body.

My steering wheel centerline is in the center of my seat. Besides, he is talking about the steering wheel not being clocked correctly.

Op, as others have said, it's and easy fix.

1slo5ohh

Established Member
mine was off center after i did my lca and brackets so i removed the brackets and it fixed the issue

Monster5.0

5.0>Terminator
Established Member
Another thing to add is that if you have lowering springs and did not do an adjustable panhard bar to recenter the rear axle, that will make your car dog walk a little and your steering wheel will be off center even if your front end alignment is dead nuts straight. I learned that the hard way.

Nickyoobatz

Established Member

Appreciate all the replies.

The wheel itself is clocked a little to the left. Not much, maybe a 1/4". I can get a pic if anyone needs. I keep telling myself its not a big deal but my OCD says its annoying to look at, lol.

I may get it aligned, but I wanna change my wheels/go lower by the spring time. Maybe I'll deal with it until so I don't have to pay for it 2 separate times.

Users who are viewing this thread