11' 5.0 -- New owner, Went to track and have lots of questions

coyoteugly5.0

Established Member
First post!

Ive had my GT for about 2 months now and lovin it. I got the car with about 18,000 miles on it, and already had the airaid cai, sct bama tune with handheld (all 3 tunes are 93), Gt500 axlebacks, lowered, and am rims with 19x10s in the rear and 19x8s in the front. It has the A6 tranny and barks 3rd hard. Its the premium model also.

The point-- The car seems to pull really hard, So I took her to the local 1/8th mile track. Ill start with my problems, Im on a 275/40/19 in the rear and hve no traction at all. Its all season pirelli p zero tires.. and they suck. My 1st 2 passes was 9.0s :( (1st time on track in years) and it seems the 60 ft wasnt the problen so much, because I was easing out the hole but when I got open throttle it broke loose, those passes were high 2.2 60 fts.The next and last pass was an 8.66 with an almost 2.3 60ft and .13 reaction.. . The trap speed on this pass was 88 MPH.. The other two were only 70ish from having to let off from cutting sideways..It akazed me when I seen the 8.66 because how much I had to baby it down the trick I literally was almost at the 60 ft mark when I had finally eased the pedal to the floor..afterI finished they closed the lanes down so I was left hanging not knowing If the car had more in it if I couldve done better .. wtf¡¿ Haha.Does anyone have similar experience? Ive def gotta get some tires and go back.

I know first thing I need to do to break into the 7s is Tires, but what next? Would BFG KDWs hook me up out the hole or do I need radials? Are the stock 3.15 gears too tall?

Im looking for any advise.. What should he my next mods? If I eventually plan to supercharge in the near future? 75 shot? So many questions since I was left hanging at the track..

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
you say that your 60 feet times were not a problem. but they are horrible. and you are sliding all over the track. you either need tires or a track that is prepped. i wouldnt recommend anything other than drag radials if you want to get some decent times. 275/60/15 et streets on a drag rim would be the best choice imo. the gearing is fine. all you need is tires. the suspension does not matter so much on an auto car that is not pushing massive power.

Last edited:

coyoteugly5.0

Established Member
Thanks for the quick reply.. I have little to none on experience at the track.. Ive thought about that setup but just cant get over the uglyness (no offence anyone) but I may end up going that route. What is a doable 60ft with performance summer tires like the KDWS, also I seen Mickey thompson makes a street super comp tire thats not a radial.. and their cheaper than the kdws.

Im leaving the line off idle and easing the pedal to the floor, and it could be the track, because I hookup much better on the street. A friend of mine said my trap speeds show a high 7 second car. Does that make sense?

Will lower control arms make a difference? I see their pretty cheap. Im not sure what the suspension is on the car exactly but the previous owner told me it was tokik lowering struts and shocks.. he couldnt remember if the back was adjustable but was for sure the front is..

kingcobra323

Established Member
Def some tires but ur 60s are bad. Ive got similar mods on my auto. I ran mine at track last week on my 245 45 19 pirellis 20psi and did 2.0s spinning a little best [email protected] in 106degree heat.

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
Thanks for the quick reply.. I have little to none on experience at the track.. Ive thought about that setup but just cant get over the uglyness (no offence anyone) but I may end up going that route. What is a doable 60ft with performance summer tires like the KDWS, also I seen Mickey thompson makes a street super comp tire thats not a radial.. and their cheaper than the kdws.

Im leaving the line off idle and easing the pedal to the floor, and it could be the track, because I hookup much better on the street. A friend of mine said my trap speeds show a high 7 second car. Does that make sense?

Will lower control arms make a difference? I see their pretty cheap. Im not sure what the suspension is on the car exactly but the previous owner told me it was tokik lowering struts and shocks.. he couldnt remember if the back was adjustable but was for sure the front is..

you might have after market lower control arms already. any street compound tire that you get wont hook as good as a drag radial tire. the trap speed will indicate what type of et you can expect if you have good traction so your buddy is right. and the look of big and little looks really nice on this cars but its like everything. every body likes different things. i am not a fan of big wheels so i really like the way big and little look especially because they are functional at the strip. the last thing i would like to mention about drag radials is that when you have 18 and up rims the prices of drag radials get to ridiculous levels. thats another very good reason to get 15 inch wheels for drag radial and track duty.

coyoteugly5.0

Established Member
7.60s would make me smile. Hell 7.99s would make me smile.And if I dont have the control arms do they really work on getting the 60ft down? I would think any tire would hook better than what I was dealing with at the track. Yeah. . 305/35/19 ET Streets run around 400 per tire. but if they will get me sub 2 sec 60fts it kay be worth it to me.. I already have a spair set of 19s that match what I have now..I just would like to be able to nail it out the hole and it hookup.. How are guys needing stall converters for these cars when I cant even leave off idle.. I guess I need to stop crying nd get some meat under her.

How are you driving on pirellis to geylt a 2.0? Off idle and rolling the throttle to the top of first?

coyoteugly5.0

Established Member
Def some tires but ur 60s are bad. Ive got similar mods on my auto. I ran mine at track last week on my 245 45 19 pirellis 20psi and did 2.0s spinning a little best [email protected] in 106degree heat.

Oh and is it the all seasons? Mine are that exact same size on the front but 275/40 on rear and cant hook at all.. The difference in my 9.0 pass and 8.6 seemed unreal because on the 8.6 pass I was never floore till half track almost

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
but wait!!!

Where are the manual owners who say the auto car drives itself? That it requires no talent, and that a caveman can do it?

:burnout:

kingcobra323

Established Member
Honestly I do a basic stall to 1500. And mash it 20psi do a good burn out. Pirelli pzero neros. On my et street 17s my best is 1.9s kinda weird but I need a convertor badly. My best on et streets [email protected] i deep staged that run. Hit me up 3233822274 Ramon

coyoteugly5.0

Established Member
Haha yeah the autos are tricky with the way you have to launch then when your dealing with 360+rwhp. I will make the leap and try the performance street tires first.. If I can just get a sub 2 sec 60 ft down I feel Ill be goinin the right direction atleast..

Force Induced

Boost Addict
Established Member
If you don't want drag radials I highly recommend Bridgestone RE11's or Hankook RS3's. Also look into getting a torque converter. When I made passes in the car stock I would foot brake the car to about 1800 or so rpm's then nail it, my car came with the good year f1 super cars instead of the pirelli's. Also LCA's and relocation brackets do help even on an auto.

Last edited:

coyoteugly5.0

Established Member
I was searching them out and a few forums were saying a pilot supersport was better for dry traction and they make them in a 285/40/19.. 344 per tire, wew. Has anyone had experience with this tire?

coyoteugly5.0

Established Member
Diggin it back up .. no need for another thread, GOOD NEWS! I found out my 11 GT has tokico adjustable shocks and struts and adjustables in rear.. I bought this from a guy who bought these and never set them.. he had no idea how to adjust so after some research I found that all 4 were set differently and after resetting I actually have suspension and the front will actually pick up now (they were set to almost full firm) .. my all season p zeros are almost bald and still cant hook tho..

So I feel like tyese shocks adjusted right will help my 60 ft.. does anybody run these and if so how do you set them for launching? Im still searching for tires.. I need a tire that will fit a 19x10 rim and be around 27" in diameter.. preferrably a little over so they dont look too much smaller than my 245/45/19 fronts.

Im looking at pilot super sports, htrz sumitumos, and kdws.. I could even go with a 305/35/19 because diameter is still within a half inch of the 275/40s.. I daily drive tye car but I take my track time serious and dont have the money for extra rims and tires plus new daily tires.. how are the pss ckmpared to other tires? Has anyone used the mt uhp super comps?

Users who are viewing this thread