10's on a bone stock 600? Check.

16kOrBust

Established Member
Got some good air yesterday so I decided to head up to LVD on my bone stock 2007 GSXR 600 and see what would happen. No strapping, no stretching, no lowering, no mods, no tricks. I weigh ~185 in full gear.

Best pass of the day (+511 DA on this pass):

1090LVD10-07-11resized.jpg

Also backed it up with two more 10.9 passes and hit 127 on the day. :rockon:

Makes me wonder how I'd do at the better tracks down in NJ with their ridiculous Fall/Winter air. I've seen negative DA's down there with the car before but haven't taken the bike yet.

90goldtsiawd

here 4 da laffs & cruelty
Established Member
Typically what's a good rider able to 60' on a stock 600 like this?

16kOrBust

Established Member
Typically what's a good rider able to 60' on a stock 600 like this?

Depends on your definition of "good". About 90% of the riders I've ever seen probably couldn't get below a 2.0 if their lives depended on it and I think another 8% would have trouble hitting a 1.8 without some serious seat time (on a stock height/length bike with no strapping). There's a real lack of rider skill when it comes to street bikes. I know quite a few guys who have been riding for years and years, going to track days on the road courses and such, but would be lucky to hit low-mid 11 if they took it to the drag strip. As much as people like to say it, it's really not just twisting the throttle and going on these bikes, particularly from a dig.

Another important consideration is that since first gear is so long on these bikes (0-60+ mph) and you're literally slipping the clutch to well past the 60' mark, 60' times don't tell the whole story of the launch. You really have to look at the 330' mark (since they don't have a 165' or so beam) to get an accurate idea of how good the launch was. For example, my best 60' of the day was a 1.82, but that launch didn't feel as good to me as the 1.85 launch in the timeslip above. After checking the 330' for both, I confirmed that my feeling was correct since the 330' for the 1.85 pass was actually quicker than the 330' for the 1.82 pass.

First gear is long on these compared to your average car and you have to slip the piss out of the clutch to get them moving without bogging or flipping. On that 1.85 pass above, I would guess I carried the front wheel about 100' or so half a foot off the ground. It's all about the fine balance between keeping the RPM up so you don't bog (which is anything under 10-11k) and not flipping the bike, because if you come up too high, you have to let out or rear brake to bring the front end back down.

Last edited:

90goldtsiawd

here 4 da laffs & cruelty
Established Member
Yeah 2.0's are not good. I didn't know if 1.5s were that attainable for a decent rider on a stock bike?

16kOrBust

Established Member
Yeah 2.0's are not good. I didn't know if 1.5s were that attainable for a decent rider on a stock bike?

Certainly not a stock 600. I think it's POSSIBLE for me to crack a high 1.7 on what I'd consider a perfect launch but it would take one hell of a pass. I launch the balls off this thing as it is. When you see 1.6 or quicker times from 600's they're usually strapped and sprocketed, or stretched with other mods. It doesn't take much to drop serious time off your launch with a few minor/cheap mods, but a stock height/length bike without a strap is a wheelie machine when launching at the RPM you need to for good passes. I typically launch around 8000 RPM and the second the light goes green, I'm WOT and controlling my front wheel height and acceleration with the clutch. RPM instantly shoots to about 14k or so and stays there until the clutch it fully out in first.

Users who are viewing this thread