10K to spend on a fox and mods.

danger0us

Established Member
What exactly could I do with that? I am guessing just a fox body mustang and crate motor and transmission? Any suggestions? I want to make it as fast as possible with the 10K. 10K needs to cover cost of car, parts, and whatever labor might be necessary. I know its not much but its all I have.

TARZAN

Old ghost
Established Member
Hmmm...

There are plenty of ways to go, using what lil knowledge I know :)

You could start off purchasing a 1991 Notch back. I say 1991 Notchback because I'm partial to the Notch, and the come with forged pistons :) Lets say $4,500 for a good car.

Then you get a respectable H/C/I, TFS heads and intake with a custom Ed Curtis cam, lets say $2,300.

Then use the rest to purchase a S/C, and supporting TB, MAF, fuel pump, injectors, and some control arms and subframes.

You just spent $10,000, have a BADASS car, FULLY streetable, looks great, and can outrun 99% of the cars on the road :D

OR

You could buy a cheap 4-banger for a couple hundred bucks, and transplant a crate motor, get a wild suspension and chassis, tranny, rear end, etc....
Won't look as good, or be very streetable, but VERY fast.

-Will

postin the midnight oil..
Established Member
You won't find a decent fox for under 5 G's...Believe me,I looked forever and they always had something wrong or damaged....But with 10 grand,you can buy you anything from an 85 to a 93 in decent condition,and have some money left over for some gears,a blower or juice,a tune,and a few dyno passes....You should be pretty close to what you need...Remmember...the newer the car,the less money you'll probly have for mods...So keep in mind that just cause it's older,doesn't mean it can't be as fast or good......My 86 is right there with the 03's...

r6bullet

Established Member
Originally posted by 28
You won't find a decent fox for under 5 G's...Believe me,I looked forever and they always had something wrong or damaged....But with 10 grand,you can buy you anything from an 85 to a 93 in decent condition,and have some money left over for some gears,a blower or juice,a tune,and a few dyno passes....You should be pretty close to what you need...Remmember...the newer the car,the less money you'll probly have for mods...So keep in mind that just cause it's older,doesn't mean it can't be as fast or good......My 86 is right there with the 03's...

I got mine under 5g, I payed 4g for a 93gt convert with a 5 speed, I also got a cobra r hood with svo scoop, saleen wing, weld draglights with tires, stock rims and tires, stock hood, 3.73 gears(not installed yet), autometer tach, dash pod, Gt and LX tailights, extra window motor.
I got all of that for 4g
When I got the car the hood and wing were the only things not painted, but we had the entire car painted so it would look better.

94Mustang302

Long Live 302...
Established Member
Originally posted by r6bullet
I got mine under 5g, I payed 4g for a 93gt convert with a 5 speed, I also got a cobra r hood with svo scoop, saleen wing, weld draglights with tires, stock rims and tires, stock hood, 3.73 gears(not installed yet), autometer tach, dash pod, Gt and LX tailights, extra window motor.
I got all of that for 4g
When I got the car the hood and wing were the only things not painted, but we had the entire car painted so it would look better.
wow dude, u got a great break on ur car!

Starfox07

Formerly XR4turbo
Established Member
There was an event in a recent copy of Grassroots Motorsports where challengers have to build a car for under $2004 (including the price of the car) and race it at a dragstrip and autocross as well as being judged in concours. One of the vehicles was a mid 70's chevy vega that was NA and ran in the 10 second range. There was also an interesting fox body that had a 429 out of a LTD that had a race carburator and nothing else. It ran 14's. With the extra 8 grand it would extremely fast. Copy and paste this link to go to the article. http://www.grassrootsmotorsports.com/challenge.php Just goes to show how fast cars can be built for little $$$

SHOLANDO

Established Member
57081great_pic_2-med.JPG

I bought my Black/Black 1993 5.0 5 speed last year for $6,000.00, it had 93000 miles on it. Since then I've spent over $2,500.00 and I haven't touched the engine YET!!

$800.00 - 5 lug/4 wheel disk brakes, with 13 inch Cobra brakes up front.
$500.00 - 5 lug Cobra wheels
$130.00 - 3.73 gears
$400.00 - Complete Exhaust system
$130.00 - 3 row radiator
$300.00 - Black leather Cobra seats
$300.00 - Koni Struts/shocks
$120.00 - Ford 'C' springs
$140.00 - CC Plates

I haven't decided which way to go with the engine, supercharged/Ford crate engine/Used 99 Cobra engine, etc etc.

Oh...by the way...I flew from Orlando to Chicago to pick up the car and drive home. You can find Notchbacks out there, but you'll have to travel to get a good one!!! Be patient, check www.Autotrader,com and www.cars.com for them.

Rob

Last edited:

poopnut2

Lifelong Vagetarian
Established Member
Originally posted by 28

I paid $4,300 for mine with 84K miles on it. Maybe 86K, I forgot. Perfect interior, decent paint for being like 15 years old. Everything worked.

With the $10,000, there are fast fox bodies everywhere you look, but how many of those are nice? I say get the car perfect inside and out with that money. Spend what's left on either your basic bolt-ons or a good set of cylinder heads, cam, and intake if you have enough.

Scream'nCobra

Cobra:No Substitute
Established Member
Spend $4-5 grand on the car, then drop a high compression built 351 with a c-4 (autos are faster). That can get you 400+ horsepower easy in a little fox, possible with some extra cash for the suspension

SALEENNOTCH

ONLY PRE'94 LAMBO NOTCH!!
Established Member
10 grand seems like a bundle of loot, but its not. Imagine spending 7 fold that. If your going to do this correctly, consider this.. Engine good?, power adder(4-5G's)... inteior wasted?, body twisted? look for the obvious when buying, good floor pans, rear torque boxes, sail panels untwisted.. you will find a million 4 bangers but, rear and trans, and exhaust,suspension, gauge cluster and some wiring must be redone..Xpensive to do if your looking for a respectable car set-up in the end. find a 5.0 with good chassis and solid interior. if the motor is bad, get a good crate motor/trans combo and follow it through. The car needs a power adder you say? A good power adder runs a few bucks so be realistic... 4-5 grand alone there and tuning. look for a good bodied car and keep goals real and dont look to grace any car shows unless you have serious connections. Its all about making a list, checking it twice, and sticking to it!! dont let people persuade you to do things that are outrageous and costly. I have done this 7 times and its way more than 10 grand a pop. if you need some help, ask. That alone will go along way if your friends are cool. But dont count on them, they most always have something to do the day you need em... I learned over the years I spend more time wrenching on other peoples stuff than my own. check out my profile for some pics and how far I went if your serious. last but not least.. labor rate. Do the work yourself, or you'll find you spent 5 grand just getting the motor and trans and having it installed... lots of crooked guys out there waiting to take your coin. goodluck!!!

white99gt

Established Member
Originally posted by TARZAN
Hmmm...

There are plenty of ways to go, using what lil knowledge I know :)

You just spent $10,000, have a BADASS car, FULLY streetable, looks great, and can outrun 99% of the cars on the road :D

-Will

Glad im in the other 1% class:coolman:

Id rather pay more for a car in better shape than a poorly kept car and have to upgrade it.

There are some deals to be had out there..

bigdog93lx

Gallons per mile
Established Member
If you're lookin for a car and are only willing to spend 10K, look for something with a clean body. For a car under 10K, body work will always be more than youre mods, depending on how you want it to look. I'd rather have a sharp 5.0 then a beat up 4 banger with a 351 under the hood that runs 12's. that's my 2 pennies

MYLITTLEHO

Established Member
want cheap and fast... get a 4 banger with blown motor $500 get a 460 BB with C4.. I see them go for $500 for both in running condition.. do a summit rebuild with Forged internal.. cobra jet heads.. nice big carb.. custom cam.. weight reduction... you are looking at low 11's of course you will need to upgrade the rear to an 8.8 $500.. upper and lower Control arms $200-400, subframes, cage... You could do it for well under 10G's

Last edited:

juiceORboost

Established Member
i have a bone stock fox for sale if you want to start there, 93 GT w/ 89k original miles, rare black interior, a bunch of new parts, only mods K&N, H-Pipe, 2 chambers.... e-mail me at [email protected] for info

Users who are viewing this thread