$1000 for midlegth install? WTF?

YELOSNK

Established Member
If I get them I plan on installing them with a mechanic buddy of mine, but out of curiosity I contacted Livernois Motorsports to see how much it would cost to get a set of midlength headers installed and they quoted me $1000. :eek: Is that a normal price or are they ridiculous (signs are pointing to ridiculous).?

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
I find that a lot of the "big name" shops charge outrageous sums of money to do about anything. They are probably charging like 12 hours of labor to install them.

REX-RACER

Testing w/ the live data!
Established Member
BreBar21 said:
I find that a lot of the "big name" shops charge outrageous sums of money to do about anything. They are probably charging like 12 hours of labor to install them.

+1.

I heard a similar story from someone on here that contacted Sean Hyland Motorsports ( SHM ) to install headers and was quoted something in that ballpark. Installing headers is a pain on these cars so anticipate 8 - 10 hrs labor ( or so I've heard ) but you can get it done for cheaper than that especially if you are supplying the parts.

YELOSNK

Established Member
REX-RACER said:
+1.

I heard a similar story from someone on here that contacted Sean Hyland Motorsports ( SHM ) to install headers and was quoted something in that ballpark. Installing headers is a pain on these cars so anticipate 8 - 10 hrs labor ( or so I've heard ) but you can get it done for cheaper than that especially if you are supplying the parts.

I'm planning on doing it myself anyway. I rather enjoy the greasy clothes, bloodied knuckles, swearing and inevitable beer drinking and chain smoking that accompanies difficult car work. :-D

Plus, I am poor as shit. :(

Last edited:

srl135

Wreck 'em Tech!
Established Member
YELOSNK said:
I rather enjoy the greasy clothes, bloodied knuckles, swearing and inevitable beer drinking and chain smoking that accompanies difficult car work. :-D

LMFAO!! Oh man that is so true.. i bet if i was a mechanic i would also be a alcoholic smoker!

REX-RACER

Established Member
YELOSNK said:
I'm planning on doing it myself anyway. I rather enjoy the greasy clothes, bloodied knuckles, swearing and inevitable beer drinking and chain smoking that accompanies difficult car work. :-D

Plus, I am poor as shit. :(

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Welcome to a rich man's hobby! In the immortal words of Torch10th "Use lots of swearing, the profanity is key!"

:beer:

dgussin1

If I offend you, IDGAF
Established Member
They probably quoted you that because they don't want the job. It should cost 300-500 for the install.

CobraKindaGuy

Established Member
REX-RACER said:
+1.

8 hours just to do my shorties.

01vert

Established Member
Headers are a bear on these cars. With a big name shop rate of 80-100 an hour the job may be expensive but about what they might charge. Sad part is a good shop can do it faster but they are charging the "in case" hours no matter what.

blacksnake305

Established Member
YELOSNK said:
If I get them I plan on installing them with a mechanic buddy of mine, but out of curiosity I contacted Livernois Motorsports to see how much it would cost to get a set of midlength headers installed and they quoted me $1000. :eek: Is that a normal price or are they ridiculous (signs are pointing to ridiculous).?

give Alternative auto a call. Tell Lidio that Chris sent you. You will pay far less and get a quality install.

I wouldn't take my bicycle to Livernois...

REX-RACER

Established Member
blacksnake305 said:
give Alternative auto a call. Tell Lidio that Chris sent you. You will pay far less and get a quality install.

Funny you say that, in the thread I read about SHM one guy said, "I wouldn't let SHM put gas in my car!" :lol1: :lol1: :lol1:

omj

Established Member
Headers aren't that bad, but only if you drop the k-member and support the engine from above. Any other way is miserable (except for removing the whole engine.)

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
REX-RACER said:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Welcome to a rich man's hobby! In the immortal words of Torch10th "Use lots of swearing, the profanity is key!"

:beer:

OMG! I forgot I said that!

HAHAHA

But seriously. I find that verbal abuse towards the vehicle in question really helps to brake free rusted bolts, unwedge stuck items and in general move the project towards completion.

It's also the reason I could never be a mechanic.

I'd have to agree with DGussin on this one. With a shop rate of $75.00 per hour, a shop with the correct tools and a lift should have no problems getting a set of headers installed in 8 hours. So at a max you're looking at around $600.00. However, I would expect a shop familiar with the install to be done well before 8 hours.

They just don't want to do it, so they're quoting high.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Livernois is just expensive to begin with. A guy in my club got their PI swap kit and it's $600. That's for an intake and a pair of aluminum plates.

01greycobra

Built and Blown!
Established Member
LaRocca's over by me wanted $800 to install shorties on a friend's '99 GT! The price for the install on top of the price of the headers is basically why i'm not even gonna think about getting them (even though i want them so bad)

Hi-Hat

Established Member
omj said:
Headers aren't that bad, but only if you drop the k-member and support the engine from above. Any other way is miserable (except for removing the whole engine.)

Couldnt agree anymore myself. I installed longtubes in my own garage and I'll never do it again.

YELOSNK

Established Member
blacksnake305 said:

I never planned on taking my car to Livernois, I've heard of some really shitty stuff they've pulled on people, they were just really easy to reach so I figured I'd ask.

Last edited:

Orange Stang 04

Electric Green FTW
Established Member
Ive found the same thing with other big name places like Alternative auto. I was quoted like $700 for my gear install, and it was just install, nothing else.

birdman941

Illiterate Proofreader
Established Member
It can be done in your garage in a day, including Mt. Dew breaks.
If they are Bassani's, make sure you have an 8mm 12 point socket.

kezell

MW3-kezell17
Established Member
I agree...install them yourself. It took me a little over 7 hours to do my LT's and 90% of that I was alone. The only thing I had to have help for was puttig the k-member back on.

Users who are viewing this thread