100 octane tune worth extra$

xX03COBRAXx

Established Member
Hey there everyone im getting a 91 tune for my 03 cobra and I'm wondering whether its worth also getting a 100octane tune for my intake,exhaust,pullied cobra .should I pay the extra 150 for the 100octane tune or use the money elswere.

ShaneCobra74

Established Member
Hey there everyone im getting a 91 tune for my 03 cobra and I'm wondering whether its worth also getting a 100octane tune for my intake,exhaust,pullied cobra .should I pay the extra 150 for the 100octane tune or use the money elswere.

I run 100 octane in my car; however its 7.99/gal out here and I can only get it at one place (that I know of). My car has a ported Eaton with 60's SCT 2600 MAF, KB BAP and spins at 16spi. I'm at 526/544 on a 93 pump gas tune. I do the 100 octane for my peace of mind, but I've been told its not necessary. My timing is 19 degrees. I'd say save the money. IMO, I don't believe there is any appreciable gain in actually tuning the car at 100, at least not that I have discovered. I use it, not for additional timing advance or power, but more of as an insurance policy to stay away from detonation when I'm driving the car hard, but again, I do believe this may be overkill. I just don't trust the octane ratings at the pump very much. I think they are lower than advertised. I think I put about 1000 miles a year on the Cobra, so it costs me roughly $.36/per mile to run race fuel versus $.11 on 93 octane, which would be something for you to consider if you drive it more often than I do. My .02

MBoyle1

redfire
Established Member
I would do it!! one pulley & tune for 91(street) & one smaller pulley& tune for 100 (track/street fun)

bigmoose

Established Member
I'm not sure if its the norm but my tuner doesn't charge extra for different octanes. Maybe find a tuner that includes it in their price?

Nightmare302

OhChuteRacing Owner
Established Member
I'm not sure if its the norm but my tuner doesn't charge extra for different octanes. Maybe find a tuner that includes it in their price?

Most tuners charge when you add another octane. He is getting a 91 octane tune and then adding another 100 octane tune. That's the reason for the additional charge not because it's a different octane but because he is making a tune for TWO octanes.

stangfreak

Established Member
The eaton can only go so far. Do the 100 tune when you get a bigger blower and want to run more boost to take advantage of it.

bigmoose

Established Member
Most tuners charge when you add another octane. He is getting a 91 octane tune and then adding another 100 octane tune. That's the reason for the additional charge not because it's a different octane but because he is making a tune for TWO octanes.
I get that. It's not like its a race fuel or e85 that takes more dyno time. It's mostly just a spark map and takes no effort.

Users who are viewing this thread