10 Second Lifted truck??

JakeMersing

Established Member
I am new to this site and was hoping you guys could give me some good info.
529206_10200483499842430_1166801709_n.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
This is my truck
1998 F250LD
5.4l
Edge programmer
6 inch fabtech lift
37 inch mud grapplers
Fresh paint job

I was wondering what you guys would suggest doing to get this truck into the 10 second 1/4 mile times.
I know it sounds crazy but its what i want to do. Ive been dreaming about a build like this forever.
What engine would you recommend?
What source of boost?
What trans?

Last edited:

JakeMersing

Established Member
I will take on that challenge Blakonblak94! i never said it had to be the 2 valve 5.4. It would probably be navigator DOHC block and heads ( ported and polished), billet crank and rods, forged pistons, and maybe a compound boost set up.

mechanicboy

Established Member
Swab axles with 8 lug 4.56 or 5.13 gears, swab engine to fully built 4v 5.4, turbos, maybe compound or a blower/turbo combo with a trans and transfercase to handle the probably 1000-1200HP you'll need probably running e85 or race gas. Add in custom mounts, lines, cooling for everything.

Last edited:

JakeMersing

Established Member
I already have 4.88 gears in it and i plan on making a build thread here. The people at f150forum.com said this is the place to get info on modulars.

Last edited:

99BlownVert

Established Member
Throw a built lightning motor in it and lower it smaller wheels and tires. A lightning motor with a Whipple and e85 may get you a high 10 sec slip. That will be your cheapest route.

Blakonblak94

Wishin it was SVT
Established Member
I wish you luck Jake. I hope your pockets are deep. There is plenty of info here. Pay close attention to the lightning area as thats your best base plan. Then I suppose factor in more power for turning over those tractor tires.

blackvette101

Established Member
Anything can be done with enough money. And to do that will be a lot of $. The truck should weigh roughly 5000 pounds. You will need about 800 wheel hp. to squeak into the 10's. It can be done with the 2 valve.

Your going to need a fully forged bottom end with trickflow heads and decent sized cams but not to big because you'll need torque. I would budget $10,000 for this.

You will need a power adder you really only have two choices whipple 3.4 or turbo. If you can snag the lightning parts to mount a blower to the 2v 5.4 you can use that stuff with the whipple 3.4 kit but you will need race gas or E85. You will probably need 23 psi and about 20* of timing. I would budget $8000 for that.

Or the second choice is twin turbo's. Treadstone makes turbo manifolds for the truck everything else will probably have to be custom fabbed. Twin 76's should be able to get you there on pump gas. If you go 4 valve heads or race gas you can probably get there with twin 70's. I would budget $10,000 for that route.

As far as the drivetrain you will need to build the 4R70 lentech makes a tranny capable of 1500 hp that + a converter and tranny cooling. The axles might live they might not. To be sure i'd launch in 2wd and change the rear to a 9'' with 5.14 gears. These are the most aggressive gears that will let you go through the traps at redline in 3rd. Diesels have ran 10's on mud grapplers so the tire should be good however they are only rated to 100 mph so do it at your own risk. I do not know about the transfer case but they build heavy duty cases for 4WD so one of those should take the abuse of hp. Your looking at least another $10,000 here.

As far as fuel I would do a custom cell in the bed with an aeromotive A1000. Tuning I would go with a megasquirt especially if you need boost by gear to keep traction in first. I would definitely put a lot of $ into your brakes. You will be doing 130ish mph through the lights and it is scary. I've been 160 in a lowered Ram SRT-10 and it's scary as hell. You want the best brakes you can get. Upgraded radiator, oil, and tranny cooling will be important.

too do everything right I would do a 5.4 Navi motor with twin turbo's and 9'' axles. Too do it on a budget I would run the 5.4 2v with a whipple 3.4 and just fortify the 8.8 maybe a little shot of nitrous to pick up an extra few mph on the big end to guarantee a 10 second slip.

In total I'd budget between $35-40k. If your willing to dump enough cash to buy a Boss 302 into a 98 Ford pickup then 10's is in your future.

Last edited:

JakeMersing

Established Member
Anything can be done with enough money. And to do that will be a lot of $. The truck should weigh roughly 5000 pounds. You will need about 800 wheel hp. to squeak into the 10's. It can be done with the 2 valve.

Your going to need a fully forged bottom end with trickflow heads and decent sized cams but not to big because you'll need torque. I would budget $10,000 for this.

You will need a power adder you really only have two choices whipple 3.4 or turbo. If you can snag the lightning parts to mount a blower to the 2v 5.4 you can use that stuff with the whipple 3.4 kit but you will need race gas or E85. You will probably need 23 psi and about 20* of timing. I would budget $8000 for that.

Or the second choice is twin turbo's. Treadstone makes turbo manifolds for the truck everything else will probably have to be custom fabbed. Twin 76's should be able to get you there on pump gas. If you go 4 valve heads or race gas you can probably get there with twin 70's. I would budget $10,000 for that route.

As far as the drivetrain you will need to build the 4R70 lentech makes a tranny capable of 1500 hp that + a converter and tranny cooling. The axles might live they might not. To be sure i'd launch in 2wd and change the rear to a 9'' with 5.14 gears. These are the most aggressive gears that will let you go through the traps at redline in 3rd. Diesels have ran 10's on mud grapplers so the tire should be good however they are only rated to 100 mph so do it at your own risk. I do not know about the transfer case but they build heavy duty cases for 4WD so one of those should take the abuse of hp. Your looking at least another $10,000 here.

As far as fuel I would do a custom cell in the bed with an aeromotive A1000. Tuning I would go with a megasquirt especially if you need boost by gear to keep traction in first. I would definitely put a lot of $ into your brakes. You will be doing 130ish mph through the lights and it is scary. I've been 160 in a lowered Ram SRT-10 and it's scary as hell. You want the best brakes you can get. Upgraded radiator, oil, and tranny cooling will be important.

too do everything right I would do a 5.4 Navi motor with twin turbo's and 9'' axles. Too do it on a budget I would run the 5.4 2v with a whipple 3.4 and just fortify the 8.8 maybe a little shot of nitrous to pick up an extra few mph on the big end to guarantee a 10 second slip.

In total I'd budget between $35-40k. If your willing to dump enough cash to buy a Boss 302 into a 98 Ford pickup then 10's is in your future.

I would probably do a navigator swap. I've done research and the stock heads ported and polished can do 1000hp, i would do a built forged lower end

I have the 4r100 trans which can be built which i would probably do my self

I can tig weld so fabricating intake and exhaust manifolds and turbo piping wont be hard.

My truck comes stock with a Sterling 10.25 read diff which can handle the power. I have no idea about the transfer case.

It came from the factory with a tranny cooler and an oil cooler whic will be upgraded

I plan on doing a custom brake setup. Disc conversion in the rear with 4 piston calipers and drilled and slotted Disc all the way around.

I will have a fuel cell and also plan on adding ladder bars.

Twin turbos sound like the way to go.

I am also thinking a raptor 1 piece fiberglass front end like this one is the way to go. It will drop weight and also easily removed for maintenance.
97-03 F 150 to Raptor Conversion One Piece and Bedsides.

JaysonMFK

5.0 Fanboy
Established Member
The issue isn't dropping weight so much as where the weight is located. You have a lot of unsprung weight and rotating mass.. I'd bet on needing more than 800hp to get into the 10's.

Also, just go with a single large turbo. Twins will just increase cost and piping complexity.

Blakonblak94

Wishin it was SVT
Established Member
Thats the first time ive seen that one piece front. Looks like it was stung by a wasp and had an allergic reaction.

Users who are viewing this thread