10.5 and traction

safado

bleed'n blue
Established Member
Hey Fellas, I understand that with more rubber on the ground you should have better traction.. but has anyone actually proven it?? It would be difficult as tire brand and temp and such.. I was just curious if the wider whee land tire gave a proven gain in traction or if it wasn't even noticed.....

on another note... a 10.5 afs 17 replica and 335 tires rub on our cars with IRS?? I thought this combo was bolt on with no issues maybe the IRS bolts???.. But I have come across a few threads where people are having rubbing issues... or was 315s the bolt on and go set up?

Last edited:

LSwat

Established Member
I think maximum tire size is going to depend entirely on brand of tire, as I know Nittos are said to run small. I recall on my Cobra that I had 315/35/17's in the rear and they fit just fine, it was a really tight fit though.

also, to comment on your initial statement, wider tires give a wider contact patch, but taller tires give a longer one, plus there is sidewall flex that comes into the mix. I'm sure someone else will chime in a provide some more info, there's several articles out there. I'm sure a google search will lead you to a lot of this information. Long story short, it's very, very situational and you really need to weigh it with what your options are. The softness of a tire is also going to improve grip (I.E. a drag radial) but is going to have a shorter life span (mileage wise).

Last edited:

bubblehead93

Established Member
I have 10.5 fr500 replicas with 315 NT01s and run a 1/2 inch spacer with arp wheel studs for the street and auto-x... outside of tire is even with the edge of the rear fender... on mine, not much room for 335, even running the low profile rear irs bolts...

as far as wider is better... your contact patch will not really change much for a radial tire by going wider...

Users who are viewing this thread