1 week down.

Solopony

Established Member
Well I got laid off cause we're out of work (concrete/winter) and decided to smoke my last pack. I am one week in now and man oh man, it's been tough. I thought it was going to get easier as time went on. I have been exercising, eating suckers and chewing a lot of gum. Yesterday was the first day I walked into a gas station and I almost bought a pack. I know it has been harped on this site plenty of times but do any ex smokers have any good suggestions, cause I feel as though I am going to break. The first few days were easy on shear willpower, now it seems to be going away.

01SVTSnake

Thud Thud Thud Thud Thud
Established Member
Just keep yourself occupied. It will be tough but you'll get through it. I smoked my last cigarette august 1 and haven't gone back since. I found for me it was about 3 weeks until the cravings really went away.

Definitely keep lots of gum handy and try and eat healthier foods. I've put on almost 20 pounds since I quit and now that im past the cigarattes I have to cut back on my food. It sucks but still totally worth it IMO

Root1022

100 Shot, 1 Kill
Established Member
I've stoped smoking everytime I deploy. I dip though, my only suggestion would be to chew on straws. That helped alot!

SNCBOOM

Established Member
Try to give yourself the flu or some other illness. I never feel like smoking when I'm sick.

Solopony

Established Member
Honestly knew it was coming and was prepared for it...it's winter and I work with mainly concrete. Everyone I work with smokes so honestly it's a better time to try. (never smoked indoors either).

yellowbra

Established Member
Well I got laid off cause we're out of work (concrete/winter) and decided to smoke my last pack. I am one week in now and man oh man, it's been tough. I thought it was going to get easier as time went on. I have been exercising, eating suckers and chewing a lot of gum. Yesterday was the first day I walked into a gas station and I almost bought a pack. I know it has been harped on this site plenty of times but do any ex smokers have any good suggestions, cause I feel as though I am going to break. The first few days were easy on shear willpower, now it seems to be going away.

Just keep on it. I believe after the 2 week mark you should be all withdrawled out. I haven't had one since Jan. 09.

pho_phizzat

Dapper as ****
Established Member
Another route is to think about what a weak souled pussy you are for having a substance control your life and make you it's bitch.....

I know that works for some people too.

(No offense to the people who are still nicotin's bitches)

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
I'm 2 years smoke free. Maybe the hardest thing I've done. Eating healthy snack foods helps. You won't gain weight chewing on celery.

I still actually like the smell of them when they are lit.

I cannot stand the smell of stale smoke on a person or clothing though.

I will never go back, I am proud of my accomplishment and feel 100% better smoke free.

KEEP IT UP!

Another route is to think about what a weak souled pussy you are for having a substance control your life and make you it's bitch.....

I know that works for some people too.

(No offense to the people who are still nicotin's bitches)

THIS!!

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
January 1st will be 3 years for me...haven't cheated once. I chose to quit during my divorce which made things that much harder. What kept me going was the positive change I was making in my life, getting rid of her and the smokes all in one shot. I did all this cold turkey on will power alone, if you really want to quit, you will. Good luck.

va boy

Established Member
If nicotine is what you crave, try a nicotine patch. I'm a dipper and plan on stopping this winter. Try picking up a healthy new addiction. I believe many folks who smoke, dip, drink, do drugs, have an addictive personality, so just find something else "good" to get addicted to, does that make any sense? Good luck!!!

08snake

Formerly 03snake
Established Member
Big time heroin addiction might help u forget about it. Im thinking withdrawals will occupy your thinking cause it sure wont be smokes. lol. But seriously, I had a couple of painful issues back to back where I was on oxycodone for about 2 months straight. OMFG, the withdrawals from that was a complete nightmare. I was sick for about 6 days straight, on the verge of puking constantly, Severe Flu symptoms, aches everywhere. For a while I thought I might have to go back on the meds just to get through it, but I came out the other side a new person. i didnt smoke for all 6 days. Unfortunately I picked it right back up. Mom Brother and his wife all quit on the patch, for my mom its been 17yrs (smoked till she was 63, now 80)(her dad smoked till 65 lived to be 94).

Last edited:

Mustang71

Did I say that out loud?
Established Member
(not a smoker) just take it day by day and concentrate on gettin through that 1 day without tobacco. Don't think about the long term, like don't say "hey I can't wait till im a few months off" or w/e. Just focus on that one day only. Helps for drug addicts.

tj04cobra

Established Member
Now is probably not the best time to quit but I wish you the best of luck. I think I'm going to quit come new years. I am 23 and have been smoking for 4 years so I haven't been smoking that long. I do however smoke close to 2 packs a day. I'm starting to think about the 60-70 dollars a week, 240-280 dollars a month I'll be saving once I do quit!

Blk04Snake

Established Member
Dunno if getting laid off and being out of work is the best time to try to quit.....

I tend to agree with this.

However, a vacation from work would have to be the time I would try otherwise I'd flip and I'd rather do that at home instead of at work with/around other fellow employees.

Users who are viewing this thread