1.7l Kb GT help

02KBGT

Established Member
hey everyone, im new to the forum and i need some help. i really dont have anyone to take my car to or anyone that has knowledge on cars so im hoping someone here can really help me.

i Have a 2002 GT, i bought it with a Kenne bell setup already on it and as far as i know the motor is stock except for a CAI, a piggyback, bigger injectors..their either 30-35lb or 60lb. It has the stock hood so im guessing its the 1.7l..i hear from many people that the most you can put down is 450 before the rods go.

the car has this black watertank looking thing next to the alternator that seems to make this running water noise when the car is turned on..water cooling kit??

i was kind of dissapointed to hear that i cant pass 450 till i change the motors internals.i want to know what i need to do to get close to 600hp/600tq ..i dont have deep pockets lol..lets keep that in mind

what will i need to change? Rods? Cams? Heads? pistons with lower compression? (heads is the thing where the pistons go right?)

help me please!! LOL!! ill be waiting for your very helpful replies..thank you

Sinultros

Unnaturally Aspirated
Established Member
Built shortblock would be your best answer. Even with one, you won't be able to hit 600hp with the KB 1.7L. It usually max out around 480hp.

450whp is pushing it on a stock 2V block. I wouldn't go over 420hp and 10 PSI would b the most I run.

The KB coolant reservoir is located next to the alternator.

02KBGT

Established Member
hey thanks a lot sinultros..ill be sure to hit up that site..and thanks for the info..

02KBGT

Established Member

which short block did you go with?

The Pro Mod seems good (says up to 550hp) but does that come with everything? im not too familiar with motors but im pretty sure there are no heads in the picture..does this mean i can use the stock heads and also can u tell me a site for cams or suggest a cam thats not too aggressive but will perform really well..

thanks,
joey

SQ Stang

I'm an SIT WOO WOO
Established Member
Yes it comes with everything you need, I'm still on stock heads and making this power. If you threw on a 2.2 KB with a forged short block then you would easily have 600rwhp. For cams look at Comp & VT are I believe the most popular. I have the comp 270AH cams in mine. Also look around on modulardepot on their products website. My car is my daily driver and I have no problems with the cam. The only thing you need to have is a good tuner to really tune the car to be a daily driver and also get the most reliable horsepower possible.

02KBGT

Established Member
well its a relief to hear that i can stay with the stock heads...what Blower do you have on your setup? could i stay with teh 1.7 and still make 600 or do i have to go 2.2...also is it as easy as just taking off the blower and putting the 2.2 on?

thanks for the help so far..i really appreciate it..

Sinultros

Unnaturally Aspirated
Established Member
Only way you can make 600rwhp witha KB 1.7L is with spray. I've seen one running 14 PSI with 150 shot putting down 621rwhp/750rwtq. The highest hp I've seen a KB 1.7L (w/o nitrous) put down is 500rwhp.

If you don't want to use nitrous then you must have the KB 2.2L

Unfortunately, the 1.7L to a 2.2L is NOT a simple swap. First of all, you'll need a hood like the Cobra R because the 2.2L wont fit under the stock hood. You'll also need '03 Cobra dual pumps and gas tank, injectors, 8 rib belt, throttle body, etc. Basically, everything will cost about $8+K.

02KBGT

Established Member
NAA NAA! chillin..thats too much money for me lol..im still in college..

Ill just stick with the 1.7 and the new block, tune it to get the most out of it and im done lol......for now ;-) ..i was thinkin about spraying it with something really small but if the motor can take it ill work to a 125 or 150 shot..

thanks for the help..

02KBGT

Established Member
My mechanic is already in the process of ordering me a manual trans. that will hold up to 800hp..i dont remember the name of the company that he is ordering it from but its pro something..they sell black shirts with white letters..lol thats how i know their name..i read a shirt my mech always wears. they did the transmission on a 1300hp stang he had and sold...i dont remember the year but i think it was a 5.0 that had a turbo out of a diesel truck that he custom did everything for..he took it on as a challenge and the end result was over 1000hp..it was sick

the rear end i havent gotten to yet but feel free to gimme some advice or info =)

:::if you ask why i dont ask my mech. bout these questions is cuz hes always busy and i dont like to bother him unless im rdy to order soemthing or something breaks..

Users who are viewing this thread