1 7/8 kooks longtubes and stock steering shaft

jk_aktion

Established Member
Not 1 7/8 w/stock, but for reference if it helps -- 1 3/4 w/mm solid steering shaft.

IMG_2712_zpscfcd8e4b.gif

IMG_2723_zps7b1a294e.gif

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I ordered the 1 3/4 arh headers, I wanted to make sure they fit 100% without any other mods. The shop I go to has installed plenty of them and they said they fit perfect. We shall see, I think they will work good for my power levels.

EDIT: I missed it, title is referring to kooks, my bad.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Anyone have pics or advice? I have Kooks 1 7/8 and I got a MM steering shaft since it's thinner and eliminates the rag joint. It doesn't even come close to fitting between the tubes. Motor's on the ground at the moment and maybe I'm looking at something incorrectly but steering shaft slides between cylinders 7 & 8 tubes right?

Woody6799

Established Member
torch3d had 1 7/8 american racing headers with the factory k and had to go with the MM shaft bc of rubbing on the factory shaft. Hopefully he will chime in here.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
I send pics to Kooks tech support and chatted to them. They said I need to remove the number 5 tube (it separates) to make clearance for the # 7 tube. Then unbolt #7 from the cylinder head and pry back really hard making clearance between 7 & 8 and slip in the steering shaft. He told me to use a crow bar or pry bar but I already ceramic coated these headers so it'll be all muscle with some surgical gloves :)

The tech said they have the best designers in the industry and this is unfortunate but because the primary tubes are so huge its just the nature of the beast. I almost said seems ARH don't have this issue lol. Wish I knew this up front, I'd have gone ARH. I went back and forth between the two and eventually picked Kooks because everyone says they sound better.

About to attempt this in a bit. Will let you know how it goes.

Woody6799

Established Member
Wow that sounds like a major pain... I am doing 1 5/8 kooks next month and have been debating on ordering the MM shaft... I don't think I will have any rubbing issues but I don't know for sure yet either...

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Really wasn't bad at all. Tech made it sound like a nightmare. All we had to do was remove the # 5 tube for clearance and then unbolt the # 7 from the head. I pulled back on it while my son slipped the shaft between tubes 7 and 8.

Users who are viewing this thread