1/4 mile tips?

03CobraDude

Well, I'm going to the drag strip for the first time next weekend and was looking for advice...

I'll be racing a 2003 Convertible Terminator. It only has a Bassani catted-X and Borla Stingers. Everything else is stock (stock shifter, clutch, irs, pulley, etc). The highest gas I can find is 91 octane also.

Do you guys have any tips on how to run it? I don't think I'll be powershifting at all. How much of an effect will this have on my time? What time is the car capable of running with a good driver, also? How should I launch it and what should I inflate/deflate all the tires to? Also, is there anything I should NOT do?

I'll be running in an autocross that same day also, so I'll probably have the tires up around 40 psi for that.

Thanks for the tips. I'll post up times when I do my first run.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cobra Dude

Established Member
Well, I'm going to the drag strip for the first time next weekend and was looking for advice...

I'll be racing a 2003 Convertible Terminator. It only has a Bassani catted-X and Borla Stingers. Everything else is stock (stock shifter, clutch, irs, pulley, etc). The highest gas I can find is 91 octane also.

Do you guys have any tips on how to run it? I don't think I'll be powershifting at all. How much of an effect will this have on my time? What time is the car capable of running with a good driver, also? How should I launch it and what should I inflate/deflate all the tires to?

I'll be running in an autocross that same day also, so I'll probably have the tires up around 40 psi for that.

Thanks for the tips. I'll post up times when I do my first run.
You are not prepared to do Drag Racing and the Autocross on the same day. Make a decision on which one you want to do and prepare for that one. If it is going to be Drag Racing, you must practice coming off the line easy without causing any wheel hop. You must get out of it at the first sign of wheel hop or you will break a half shaft and maybe the diff plate. Your best time will be in the high twelves. You need frame connectors, diff brace, different clutch and flywheel, etc. Check my signature. Autocross Racing will require extra brakes. Your brakes will not last too many laps once they heat up so carry extra pads with you.

lemons12

Established Member
you will need a little less air in the tires... around 30 pounds will do on street tires.. if your running slicks or radials.. drop it down, radials to mid-high teens, slicks to low teens..

street tires, do a small burnout.... radials/slicks, heat them bitches up...

take your time at the lite, no matter when you leave your e/t will be the same so get your launch right..

let me car cool a long time in between runs 30-45 minutes min., when you get there park it pop the hood and watch races for a good 30 minutes..

turn traction control off..

should help ya out a little..

03CobraDude

You are not prepared to do Drag Racing and the Autocross on the same day. Make a decision on which one you want to do and prepare for that one. If it is going to be Drag Racing, you must practice coming off the line easy without causing any wheel hop. You must get out of it at the first sign of wheel hop or you will break a half shaft and maybe the diff plate. Your best time will be in the high twelves. You need frame connectors, diff brace, different clutch and flywheel, etc. Check my signature. Autocross Racing will require extra brakes. Your brakes will not last too many laps once they heat up so carry extra pads with you.

Why am I not prepared to drag race and autocross on the same day? I've heard about the wheel hop. I'll be dang sure to get out of it fast if I feel any. New break pads and wheel-rotation will be happening within the next month also. I did some autocross last year, so I'm somewhat familiar with that event.

Thank you! :beer:

you will need a little less air in the tires... around 30 pounds will do on street tires.. if your running slicks or radials.. drop it down, radials to mid-high teens, slicks to low teens..

street tires, do a small burnout.... radials/slicks, heat them bitches up...

take your time at the lite, no matter when you leave your e/t will be the same so get your launch right..

let me car cool a long time in between runs 30-45 minutes min., when you get there park it pop the hood and watch races for a good 30 minutes..

turn traction control off..

should help ya out a little..

The current tires are BFGoodrich g-Force on stock rims. So just a short little spin? Am I supposed to skip the waterbox?

Last edited by a moderator:

lemons12

Established Member
Why am I not prepared to drag race and autocross on the same day? I've heard about the wheel hop. I'll be dang sure to get out of it fast if I feel any. New break pads and wheel-rotation will be happening within the next month also. I did some autocross last year, so I'm somewhat familiar with that event.

Thank you! :beer:

The current tires are BFGoodrich g-Force on stock rims. So just a short little spin? Am I supposed to skip the waterbox?

its up to you if you skip the water box or not.. i would use it...

go around the waterbox so your front tires dont hit the water.... back up into the box, let the tires rotate around a full spin... pull up a few feet, do your burn out... DO NOT burnout in the box, you will get water in your fender wells and drip it on the track which could ause some major problems..

after your burnout (id do about 5 seconds or so, just enough for a little smoke)... stage..

03CobraDude

its up to you if you skip the water box or not.. i would use it...

go around the waterbox so your front tires dont hit the water.... back up into the box, let the tires rotate around a full spin... pull up a few feet, do your burn out... DO NOT burnout in the box, you will get water in your fender wells and drip it on the track which could ause some major problems..

after your burnout (id do about 5 seconds or so, just enough for a little smoke)... stage..

How about launching tips? How high should I get the RPMs? Since it has the stock IRS, should I just slip the clutch instead of completely dumping it?

lemons12

Established Member
How about launching tips? How high should I get the RPMs? Since it has the stock IRS, should I just slip the clutch instead of completely dumping it?

i drive a H/C stalled a4 without IRS...

in other words, i have absolutely no launching techniques for you:lol1:... im sure someone will chime in though.. ;-)

lemons12

Established Member

the way i launch my car... AGAIN IT WILL PROBABLY BE TOTALLY DIFFERENT IN YOUR CAR, or could be the same... i give it enough gas to take the slack out of the drive.... i.e.... it idles at 1k rpms.. i rev up to about 1200-1400... 3rd light goes off, and i floor it....

chances are if you dump it your going to spin your ass off, im going to guess its better to slip the clutch.. but i dont know... so dont take my word for it..
and remember no car is the same as another.. so just because someone else with a stock cobra on same tires as you launches one way, it doesnt mean you have to, or that it will be best for you..

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
browse some of these threads. there's 1000000000000000000000000 posts about this

Users who are viewing this thread