1/4 mile times, please explain.

Brucealeg

Established Member
I was semi informed that the 1/4 mile times take a certain max MPH to achieve a specific time. Regardless of vehicle.

Example. A car would have to top at 111mph to get a time of 12.778. Is this true or was someone blowing smoke up my a@@?

If totally off could someone give me the proper explanation?

Thanks,
Bruce

Last edited:

B03Cobra

SVT G0D
Established Member
Blowing smoke, its all the Launch and 1/8th imho that gets good times. Also u could run a shot right before the cones and get a really high mph, but a slow time ;)

JDV

Rsrved 4 sumthin clever
Established Member
As a general rule, with a roughly 3500 lb car, it takes 250ish rwhp to run 100mph in the quarter.

Also, generally, a mph car be related to a time. But, you can only narrow it down.

Also, big but, you gotta know what tires are on the car, or more specifically, what 60' time your looking to talk about.

So, in short, with so many generally's and options, conversing a mph to a 1/4 time isnt possible. You can say "i went 12.40 on radials, so ill go 11.90's on slicks". Well, if you cut a 1/8 60 foot on radials, and can only get a 1.7 on slicks, you WONT drop that much. However, if you run a 2.1 on radials, and a 1.6 on slicks, then ya, you can.

All in all, its not a good practice to convert it. The first 60 feet is all driver and tire. The next 1/8 is torque, and the last half the track (MPH gain) is horsepower.

Clear as mud?

Brucealeg

Established Member
Benaa,
That actually is a very good explnation. I don't understand it perfectly, but have a much better idea.

Bruce

Grey03

Established Member
MPH is a good indication of a cars "potential" to run a certain e.t. given certain conditions are met. There are so many variables though that it is hard to predict with any accuracy. MPH does give you a great indictation of the kind of power your car is producing, as it correlates to the power to weight ratio.

Users who are viewing this thread