1/2 mile drags

lkempf

Established Member
I am doing a 1/2 mile event for speed in October, and am wondering if anyone else on here has done a similar event. I have raced the 1/4 mile plenty of times, but never anything longer. Would just like to get any tips or ideas to improve my speed. Is anyone else on here doing the same event?

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
I have done a lot of half mile events in AZ, what year GT500 do you have? Make sure your brakes are good condition if your Shelby can go 160+.

Speedboosted

Established Member
I am doing a 1/2 mile event for speed in October, and am wondering if anyone else on here has done a similar event. I have raced the 1/4 mile plenty of times, but never anything longer. Would just like to get any tips or ideas to improve my speed. Is anyone else on here doing the same event?

What gears and mods do you have?

Fast Ford

Established Member
My recommendation is "Octane", I run 110 at these events. Are you running the Wannagofast event at French Lick? Blake and his team do a Great Job with these 1/2 mile events, have fun.

lkempf

Established Member
It has a VMP TVS Gen 1, C&R heat exchanger and 3.55 gears. Yes it is a Wannagofast event.

Speedboosted

Established Member
It has a VMP TVS Gen 1, C&R heat exchanger and 3.55 gears. Yes it is a Wannagofast event.

What tires? If they're not sticky (drag radials) you should try out a few second gear starts. I had a tough time putting the power down in first and some of second with warm 305 Goodyear G2's on the runway. Second gear yielded a couple extra mph vs a first gear start.

E55rocket

Established Member
I did a 1400ft race a couple months ago on a road course and used 15" drag radials but I still had a littl bit of spinning. Ran 147-151 every pass.

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
One tip I could offer is don't worry about "the launch" like you do in drag racing. It really has no effect on your top speed. If it's a really windy day, be careful. Wind can play a big role when you are going 150mph. Be aware of it's direction (headwind, crosswind, tailwind...) Make a few test passes (hit 100 ride it out, then hit 120, ride it out... etc) to get comfortable with the car on this track, see if there are any dips or bumps that might upset the car, THEN give it hell on the next pass.

Last edited:

pierce88

Established Member
1. I wouldn't pay a lick of attention to the car next to you as they likely aren't paying attention to you.
2. My 2013 was dead stable even with the breeze at Heaven's landing in May.
3. Absolutely do no worry about the Launch and as some people have said you probably just want to start in 2nd gear and ride it out nice and smooth to 30mph or so (maybe 40mph depending on your whp).
4. Do not get caught up in everyone else's trap speeds. People purposely build cars for these events and put up some CRAZY numbers. Remember there is always someone with some more money.
5. Enjoy it. The rush you get trying to push your car that extra mph or 2 is wildly fun and exponentially less dangerous than on the street.

[video=youtube;oTch94IE-VU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTch94IE-VU[/video]

-Pierce

Users who are viewing this thread