1.1HP SHY!!!

moridin2004

I took my own avatar pic
Established Member
Well...numbers first I guess.

498.9 HP and 475ft lbs of tq.

The Story:

Dad decided to get mod happy with mom's Cobra. Apten, 2.8 pulley, Accufab, and few things later we arived at Apex Motorsports to get the car tuned by Shawn Ellis for the NorCal Dyno Daze. We had a few problems with the Densecharger, which was screwing with our MAF, so we had to get the Steeda. To make a long story a litte shorter, we had belt slip (forgot to buy an idler) so we weren't getting full boost. Finished there with 486HP and 475lb ft. TQ.

It just so happened that I had planned a trip to LA for a Z car thing shortly after the NorCal Dyno Daze event. Right after a new clutch, flywheel, and 26 spline input shaft install, I headed south babying the car for the 500 mile drive (and trying to make sure the clutch was broken in properly). I had mentioned my trip to Shawn maybe one week before on the off chance that I may be able to take the Cobra. After getting a hold of him on the way down (Friday night), he went out of the way to set up some dyno time (Saturday morning) to check the tune.

Unfortunately it was a little lean in the midrange, so he had to change a few things. But, when all was said and done, the car was in the safe range and made some good numbers with only minor cool down in between runs.
I had an excellent experience with Shawn. Its just too bad that he has to be so far away;-)

Here's the mod list for those that are interested:

Apten Eaton
2.80" pulley
Billetflow Stealth idler
Accufab TB
Steeda Intake
JBA shorty headers
Stock H-pipe (not a mod, but interesting for the amount of power made)
Magnaflow cat-back
Centerforce Clutch and Flywheel
26-spline input shaft
and a few others that don't have anything to do with power output

and the sheet
Cobra498.jpg

The coolest thing about this car is that my mom drives it to work daily and just knows that it makes a little more noise than it used to.

Last edited:

Juiced-03

Established Member
That is the almost exact combo I will be running very soon! Just need the port job and JBA's! How do you like the JBA's by the way? Worth the money? How was the install?

Great numbers!!!

moridin2004

I took my own avatar pic
Established Member
We got very lucky with the JBA's. The motor came out for the head replacement, so it was a one shot deal to get a cheap install price. We ended up not even paying for the install time (would have been 2 hours), because it took the dealer so long to fix the car.

Its really hard to tell how much, if any, more power they made than the stockers. With the Magnaflow cat-back, the car doesn't have that full on muscle car gurgle. Much more sophisticated and cleaner tone without being that loud. No drone on the highway or anything. Just make sure all the clamps are tight otherwise it my resonate.

The car is fun, but I haven't put the heat shield back on yet. I'm pretty sure its pulling some hot air and the computer is pulling time at lower speeds. Doesn't have the torque to rip them apart in 2nd because of it.

Last edited:

dougwg

Established Member
if you are running a 2.8 upper... you should also be using a 100mm idler not 90mm...FYI :)

and who knows but it might be worth 1.1hp ;-)

moridin2004

I took my own avatar pic
Established Member
Yeah, by the looks of the dyno sheet, we may be getting a little belt slip up top. Not like before though, because it seems to hold fairly well at 14psi. We'll probably switch out to the 2.93 soon anyway, so I'm not too worried about it.

HotRodHarry

Life is short,Live it up!
Established Member
Awesome power!!! Man ...it that had been me being that close to the 500 mark...I would have cut the power steer belt to get the added hp :D

moridin2004

I took my own avatar pic
Established Member
I never thought about that.

But you all wanna know what the coolest part about the car is?

My mom drives it to work everyday and hasn't noticed anything other than the slightly louder exhaust :lol: :lol: :lol:

trey193

Established Member
What belt and what size are you running now? Nice numbers but the tq is on the low side for a 2.80 car.

dougwg

Established Member
Originally posted by moridin2004
My mom drives it to work everyday and hasn't noticed anything other than the slightly louder exhaust :lol: :lol: :lol:

:nono: :nono: :nono: :lol: :lol: :lol:

moridin2004

I took my own avatar pic
Established Member
I just wanted to add that this was on crappy 91 octane California gas. I imagine a little more power would be available with some 93 or 94 octane gas.

The Accufab seems to be sticking too. Maybe with the aid of a Mafterburner, we'll put the stock throttle body on and see how it does. May get some of that torque back?

Last edited:

NBS4

BANNED!
Originally posted by moridin2004

The coolest thing about this car is that my mom drives it to work daily and just knows that it makes a little more noise than it used to.

I'm taking a guess it's Mommy's Cobra and not yours. :lol: :lol: :lol:

You just sealed your fate on this board with that comment.

moridin2004

I took my own avatar pic
Established Member
Yeah, its my Mommy's. Can't do much about that. All I can say is at least it wasn't paid for by her then given to me. That would be ten times worse.

At least I know what the motor can handle, and hopefully I can squeeze something similar in my 240Z. Unfortunately, I'm a broke student going to school, and was lucky enough to get a loan to put a turbo motor in my Honda (which will probably doom me further on this site).

I guess the biggest point that I wanted to get across that Shawn Ellis went out of his way to make sure the car was in good working order.

HotRodHarry

Life is short,Live it up!
Established Member
Whats with that....my mommy has an 03 Cobra conv that will whip most of your butts :D

Long live the Cobra Mom's!!!

Hot Rod(my mom can beat up your mom)Harry ;-)

2003 Zinc Yellow 03 Cobra ..stock (Mine)
2003 Satin Silver 03 Cobra..2.93 pulley/steeda catback..(Dad's)
2003 Black 03 Cobra Conv..Kennebell 15lbs boost/nitrous/Bogarts/ET Drags..(Mom's)

Last edited:

cobrasvtxyz

PoWeR tO wEiGhT!
Established Member
hey you want a tip i GAURENTEE you will get past that 500 mark if you go with a magnaflow catted X-PIPE instead of your stock H:D

:rockon: 03 COBRA:rockon:

moridin2004

I took my own avatar pic
Established Member
Yeah, it will get the catted x eventually. We just got a ton of drivetrain stuff, so hopefully I won't have to worry about breaking anything with the power.

Wideband O2 is on the way too, so I'll be able to graph the A/F for you guys.

Users who are viewing this thread