1,172 RWHP 4V 2003 Cobra

calypsocoral

Established Member
We just finished dynoing the White 03 Cobra of Rex's (Bill Ross's old Cobra Shinoda) and with 75# injectors and 61MM turbo upgrades it made 1,172 RWHP!

Many thanks go out to Nate Phillips- Rocky Mtn. Racing - tuning, Chris Groves - Dyno Edge, Rex Glenn - Cobra Shinoda Owner, Johnny - THP lead technician and many others. I will post up the graph ASAP. That's more than 4 HP per Cu Inch. Enjoy! Heres' to the best SVT people around.
Thanks! Jim - Turbo HorsePower

2V = 912 RWHP 05-06 Mustangs
3V = 753 RWHP 96-04 Mustangs
4V = 1,172 RWHP 96-04 Cobras

VIDEO:
http://www.racingsouthwest.com/~buffhomer/rex1172.wmv

Last edited:

10SecCobra

nice

great numbers.. i just purchased the 61mm ball bearing HP kit was that what you had as well? Im shooting for the same numbers. What did you do for a fuel system and did you use the stock computer and electronics, did you at least upgrade the coils? any help is well appreciated, im in the middle of odrering all the extras i need..

calypsocoral

Established Member
calypsocoral said:
We just finished dynoing the White 03 Cobra of Rex's (Bill Ross's old Cobra Shinoda) and with 75# injectors and 61MM turbo upgrades it made 1,172 RWHP!

Many thanks go out to Nate Phillips- Rocky Mtn. Racing - tuning, Chris Groves - Dyno Edge, Rex Glenn - Cobra Shinoda Owner, Johnny - THP lead technician and many others. I will post up the graph ASAP. That's more than 4 HP per Cu Inch. Enjoy! Heres' to the best SVT people around.
Thanks! Jim - Turbo HorsePower

2V = 912 RWHP 05-06 Mustangs
3V = 753 RWHP 96-04 Mustangs
4V = 1,172 RWHP 96-04 Cobras

Sorry guys about the graph I apparently am not allowed to post attachments unless someone can help. Thanks Jim

- Aj -

Established Member
Dyno sheet

Here you go:

wMTI1NjkwNjZzNDEzZGZkMzF5NTQx.jpg

Mods to motor?

calypsocoral

Established Member
- Aj - said:
Here you go:

wMTI1NjkwNjZzNDEzZGZkMzF5NTQx.jpg

Mods to motor?

The White Cobra Shinoda has:
.020 over stock iron block
Manley Pistons
FR500 cams and valve train
Stage I ported heads
Stock rods
Aftermarket clutch
MSD ignition with DIS 4's
Factory electronics with a Diablo Chip and custom tune
Retrun style from Paul's High Performance (2) 310 LPH Pumps in tank
Turbo HorsePower TT with 61 MM turbos
Sullivan intake, elbow, and rails

Thanks! Jim

- Aj -

Established Member
Any pics Jim? Do you think the FR500 cams really helped? I have heard others say they did not get anything with them.

Spade

Established Member
Just think standing around at a car show or something and everyone is c0ck slinging about how much power their car puts down,

GM guys;

Joe: Yo my car put down 507. Your? :rockon:

Bill: That's nuttin, my car did 649 TO THE GROUND. :coolman:

Fred: :nonono: 649.9............WHAT'S UP!?!?!

Then we have Rex, standing in the back of the crowd thinking, Dude that some good power, but I'm not going to get into this crazy talk.

Fred: Hey you with the TURBO SHIRT?

Rex looks over nods his head in an upward motion.

Fred: So what kind of power is your turboed car putting down TO THE GROUND (laughing)?

Rex: I'm doing OK.

Bill: We know your in a Mustang and all so we will understand.(as they all laugh harder and harder)

Rex: (after taking a slug of his Crown Royal on the rocks) Well my "281" block was punched out .020 so that put me somewhere around.................................1172whp and 973wtq.

Everyones face.............:dw: :eek: :mj: :bored: :uh oh: :bowdown: :??: :xpl: :dw: :dw: :bored:

Some even pissed themselves.

Sweet numbers!!

Spade

TwinTurboTRex

Banned
Spade said:
Just think standing around at a car show or something and everyone is c0ck slinging about how much power their car puts down,

GM guys;

Joe: Yo my car put down 507. Your? :rockon:

Bill: That's nuttin, my car did 649 TO THE GROUND. :coolman:

Fred: :nonono: 649.9............WHAT'S UP!?!?!

Then we have Rex, standing in the back of the crowd thinking, Dude that some good power, but I'm not going to get into this crazy talk.

Fred: Hey you with the TURBO SHIRT?

Rex looks over nods his head in an upward motion.

Fred: So what kind of power is your turboed car putting down TO THE GROUND (laughing)?

Rex: I'm doing OK.

Bill: We know your in a Mustang and all so we will understand.(as they all laugh harder and harder)

Rex: (after taking a slug of his Crown Royal on the rocks) Well my "281" block was punched out .020 so that put me somewhere around.................................1172whp and 973wtq.

Everyones face.............:dw: :eek: :mj: :bored: :uh oh: :bowdown: :??: :xpl: :dw: :dw: :bored:

Some even pissed themselves.

Sweet numbers!!

Spade

that is hillarious: You should write Sunday comics, lets here some more. Thumbs up for the detail, everyone says that sounds just like me, they want to know if I know You.................lol. :thumbsup:

calypsocoral

Established Member
TT Rex

TwinTurboTRex said:
that is hillarious: You should write Sunday comics, lets here some more. Thumbs up for the detail, everyone says that sounds just like me, they want to know if I know You.................lol. :thumbsup:

Heck, I thought it was Rex under a super secret name LOL. Rex is that you? Jim :beer:

calypsocoral

Established Member
- Aj - said:
Any pics Jim? Do you think the FR500 cams really helped? I have heard others say they did not get anything with them.

I can't post pics but can get you some links. Timing was 19 degrees I believe. The FR500s work well in this Cobra, beyond that I have heard both good and just OK about them. We also turbo'd the Silver Salleen #396 of Reeses's 912 RWHP 2V and he had Stage II blower cams from powerheads. If you saw the video you would say they work pretty well also. Thanks Jim :beer:
The Salleen:
http://www.modularfords.com/downloads.php?c=12
Rex's car:
www.turbohorsepower.com (and then go to Customer pics...it's the White Cobra Shinoda)

SVTdubs

have you seen my baseball
Established Member
how much power did that car make uncorrected? The high altitude turbo cars are corrected for sea level and it throws the numbers WAY off. Here is a quote from John Reed, one of the best tuners in the country...

I believe these correction factors (like those used on most dynos) are to correct for hp loss due to ambient conditions (including altitude). But turbo cars, unless they are badly outside of their turbo efficiency, do not lose hp at the same rate as a naturally aspirated or belt driven supercharger car would. This is the reason that you cannot accurately apply these correction factors (both at the strip and at the dyno) to your turbo car when above sea level. There are a lot of different factors coming into play, but the end result is that the correction factors tend to "skew" the numbers higher than they should be on turbo cars when dealing with elevation. Just my $0.02

there you have it. Not to downplay the seriousness of the car because I believe its the baddest street cobra on the planet. Well any turbo cobra with a heavily built motor and 30psi is one hell of a car no matter what "numbers" it makes. Even if it made 900rwhp it is still a badass

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread