09 Stock Clutch?

JamesConway14

Established Member
I bought my first Shelby yesterday—an '09 in bone stock condition. Still getting used to her, but I wanted to know if the stock clutch is especially heavy/unforgiving or if I'm just being a bitch about it. Granted, my only experience driving manual is with old pickups.

If the stock clutch is less than ideal, what's a good upgrade option for a smoother daily driving experience?

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

JRMotorsports55

Established Member
A popular upgrade for the 07-09 cars is the 13 GT500 clutch setup. Holds a lot more power and is OEM reliable/drivable. I actually have a full set up that I had bought for my 07 but the car is about to leave my possession and the clutch kit will be going up for sale. PM me if you are interested.

Vinnie_B

"LIVE LIFE AT FULL THROTTLE"
Established Member
Premium Member
A popular upgrade for the 07-09 cars is the 13 GT500 clutch setup. Holds a lot more power and is OEM reliable/drivable. I actually have a full set up that I had bought for my 07 but the car is about to leave my possession and the clutch kit will be going up for sale. PM me if you are interested.
Yup I agree with you JRMotorsports55! Stock 13-14 Gt500 clutch is a good upgrade for an 09 and it's good for up to 900 hp.

Congrats JamesConway14 on your 2009 Gt500. Welcome to the shelby Family!

Last edited:

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member
@Vinnie_B I'll check it out!

Also, is there an advantage to the OEM '13 clutch over, say, a McLeod?

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
Obviously, the 13/14 is a much better clutch for power/ boost spikes. Better street clutch and more friendly. It is also alittle more forgiving than some race clutches for ppl who are alittle less experienced W/manual transmissions. I personally dont have any experience with Mcleod. But I here good things about there clutches.

XP900

Established Member
I have a 10 and ordered the stock parts - clutch, pp and new flywheel for the 2014 setup. You should also order the new HD throw out bearing, hydraulic slave and SS line. Pricing is really reasonable from online Fords parts locations and rockauto.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I have a 10 and ordered the stock parts - clutch, pp and new flywheel for the 2014 setup. You should also order the new HD throw out bearing, hydraulic slave and SS line. Pricing is really reasonable from online Fords parts locations and rockauto.
Whats making you want to replace yours in the 2010? 2010 Setup was similar to 13/14 just holds less power.

XP900

Established Member
The 13/14 was heavier duty from what I read and only required the 13/14 hydraulic slave to be installed with the clutch/pp change. My clutch slave cylinder already needed to be changed since it was allowing clutch dust into the hydraulic fluid. Price difference was a no brainer.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
So the car is new to you. Do you plan to mod for power, race, etc? Choice of clutch is about goals and if you’re happy with stock power/mild bolt ons, the ‘13-14 is stout enough for 750rwhp and 10s drag passes. If you’re looking for more than 750hp or plan to race regularly, call Steve at XClutch USA.
-J

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Bought my 07’ with 1,600 miles and the stock clutch was very user friendly. And the 07-09’ had the same clutch components. My stock clutch couldn’t handle the drag strip and I upgraded to the RXT. The RXT is excellent at the strip, takes a pounding, and keeps on holding. But street manners are not near as good.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
What rear gear in the ‘07-09? 3.31?
Just asking as the rear ratio can influence the clutch performance.
-J

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Very interesting. IDK that 08-09 KR came W/ 3.73 factory.
Yes, it was what i believe should of came from the factory on all the 07-10 gt500s. Its was all mpg BS because the gas guzzler tax was the same.

Vinnie_B

Established Member
Premium Member
Yes, it was what i believe should of came from the factory on all the 07-10 gt500s. Its was all mpg BS because the gas guzzler tax was the same.
Go figure! Politics was involved......:ROFLMAO:

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
Yep, and if you want something that feels even better than 13/14 OEM, McLeod RXT and holds even more powa

And install 3:73 gears

Sent from my SM-G975U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Users who are viewing this thread