09 Nissan Maxima vs 06 Acura TL for daily driver

jblood37

Established Member
I recently bought my wife a 2014 GMC Acadia to make it easier on her because she totes my kid around everyday. This is replacing her 09 Maxima. I currently have a 2006 Acura TL. Below I'm listing details for each. Which would you keep for the daily driver? I'll throw in here that I drive about 60 miles round trip every day. I'm torn between which vehicle I want to keep. I've had quite a few Hondas and have had great luck with them. I'm a little scared of the CVT in the Maxima. I'm not sure how it will hold up over time. I'm equally as worried about the TL transmission bc I know they are notorious for shitting the bed. I keep the fluid changed constantly as I've heard this can prolong the life of the TL trans dramatically.

Maxima:
120,000 miles.
Has backup camera.
More interior room.
Rides so much better and way more comfortable, ride is not as harsh.
Black exterior paint. Pain in the ass to keep clean and clear is trashed on the top and on the hood. If I keep I have a guy who will fix it correctly for $1k or less.
Slightly less mpg.
Brand new tires.

TL:
100,000 miles.
No backup camera, but has mirror defrost and seat warmers.
Less interior room.
Ride is tighter and much more harsh.
Charcoal exterior paint. Looks ok even when dirty and paint is in good shape.
Slightly better mpg.
It is now time to replace the timing belt etc. Looking at close to $1k to do all the maintenance required right now.
Will need new tires soon.

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
Don't buy any Nissan with a CVT. It WILL go bad at some point. Also maximas have weird electrical gremlins.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
Maxipads are just plain ugly. the TL is a sick looking car and you got the best color. im sure its rougher because its tuned for sport whereas the maxipad is tuned for luxury. you own both cars, you should know which you like better. i would dump the maxipad and keep the TL, or find another car to drive if you dont want to put $ into it and are worried about the trans.

*just did a quick google of your maxipad and its not AS ugly as prior years versions but still doesnt hold a candle to a TL. i wish they still made that TL. they ****ed that car all up with their goofy front ends they put on them. typical honda, take a great car and **** it all up (looking at you civic).

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
I'd prefer the TL but maybe that's just me.

I think the resale of the TL will be better than the Maxima, might be worth getting rid of now while it has some value left in it.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
sell both cars, use combined money to get yourself something else. something newer with the tech you want, with less miles. maybe a fusion? sho? lexus?

jblood37

Established Member
Don't buy any Nissan with a CVT. It WILL go bad at some point. Also maximas have weird electrical gremlins.

I have been told this by almost everyone, but when I dig deeper these people have never owned a Nissan with a CVT. I think people just regurgitate the info that someone else told them. Did your CVT go bad and what electrical problems have you seen?

Maxipads are just plain ugly. the TL is a sick looking car and you got the best color. im sure its rougher because its tuned for sport whereas the maxipad is tuned for luxury. you own both cars, you should know which you like better. i would dump the maxipad and keep the TL, or find another car to drive if you dont want to put $ into it and are worried about the trans.

*just did a quick google of your maxipad and its not AS ugly as prior years versions but still doesnt hold a candle to a TL. i wish they still made that TL. they ****ed that car all up with their goofy front ends they put on them. typical honda, take a great car and **** it all up (looking at you civic).

This year Maxima isn't too bad in the looks department in my opinion, although I much prefer the looks of the TL. After 08, the TL started looking goofy though. Yep, I believe your right on the suspension setup.

sell both cars, use combined money to get yourself something else. something newer with the tech you want, with less miles. maybe a fusion? sho? lexus?

I don't have your kinda money Steve or I would do this hahaha.

DiB14-SAFD

Established Member
Keep the TL. Great looking car, higher resale, the engines will run forever as long as you keep up with maintenance and wear items. Wife had an '07 Altima. Just over 100k transmission started shifting hard and oil leaks starting appearing, traded it in 2 weeks later.

zak88lx

Future SVT *****
Established Member
OP - Have you considered a Honda Accord Sedan with V6?
When I was car shopping last spring, I wanted a 4 door sedan with a powerful NA engine (no turbo), and absolutely no CVT.

I ended up purchasing a new 2015 Accord Sedan V6 Touring model (Black with Ivory Tan leather), and I absolutely love it.
Great power with the 278-hp 3.5-liter V-6 engine and a real 6-speed auto transmission, all the tech you could need including navigation, lane monitoring, collision detection, adaptive cruise control, side camera and rear camera, amazing sound system, huge trunk and comfortable as hell.
I purchased mine new at the dealership all-in for $35,000 CDN ($26,235 US).

The car is also surprisingly quick with the 3.5L, revised 6-speed and lower weight (3,600 lbs).
0-60 in 5.8 seconds, and quarter mile in 14.3 seconds.
It also has great gas mileage with the cylinder deactivation and Eco mode.
Also, this could be the last year they offer the V6 engine and 6-spd auto, as they will most likely move to a turbo 4 and CVT next year.

efiicg.jpg

2qjg48m.jpg

Last edited:

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
If you MUST keep one, stick with the Acura as anything Honda will be much more reliable. Add a backup camera if you want. They are dirt cheap.

I would sell or trade both for a nicely used Honda Accord. 4-cyl or V6 is fine. Anything Honda will last. Nissan has never been known for longevity.

IllCobra

Established Member
I agree on keeping the TL. I daily a 2009 honda accord coupe that has been nothing but good to me (knock on wood). I did a complete tune up at 90k miles; plugs, trans flush, Maf & TB cleaned, new air filter, and adjusted valves. Runs great 27/28mpg city and 30 if i mix some hwy driving in there. It is a 4 cyl which i do sometimes wish was a v6 (a/c turned on seems to zap power from the little 2.4) and I'm starting to envy people with 4 doors. You have a nice car that should last you another 100k miles easy if you do regular maintenance.

RX1Cobra

Established Member
I have been told this by almost everyone, but when I dig deeper these people have never owned a Nissan with a CVT. I think people just regurgitate the info that someone else told them. Did your CVT go bad and what electrical problems have you seen?

My BIL has a similar year Altima 3.5 with the CVT (I assume the same?). His car has 180K+ on it and the trans is just starting to act up. Car isn't babied while it's not crazy mileage it still pretty decent in my mind to last that long.

Mpoitrast87

Established Member

I'm a service advisor for a Nissan dealership. We do 5 CVTs a week

ashleyroachclip

Established Member
So why dont you advise people to .
not buy the crap ?

Just giving you a bad time , reminds me of the commercial for i think it is LifeLock ....
I am not a fan of Nissan , and have never had a bad Honda

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
So why dont you advise people to .

not buy the crap ?

Just giving you a bad time , reminds me of the commercial for i think it is LifeLock ....
I am not a fan of Nissan , and have never had a bad Honda
Advise people not to buy Nissans? I would lose my job lol. Most CVT's we do are still under warranty.

smitty2919

Established Member
My wife's old 4cyl 06 accord coupe gave us 260k trouble free miles until we traded it in on a 08 Lexus IS 250 AWD (her dream car for a long time).

I vote TL between the two. But I also like the idea of selling both and picking up a newer 4 door accord and you can have best of both worlds.

jblood37

Established Member

Wow! So the ole CVT may really be trash haha.

I guess I've all but decided to keep the TL. The major thing I'm looking for is reliability because I don't buy cars and get rid of them every 2 years. I get a nice used car and drive it until the wheels fall off, then do it again.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
I don't have your kinda money Steve or I would do this hahaha.

believe me im far from wealthy. or my wife wouldnt be DDing an ES350 with over 100k lol. i was just saying to sell both and buy another used car with less miles and more tech. doesnt have to cost a lot. as people said, an Accord V6. plenty of get up and go and should have some tech if more recent. and will last forever. or keep your TL (paid off) and just put money aside for possible repairs. back up camera is amazing and ive been missing it my whole life. now that we have it on our explorer (not even lexus) i hate backing up in any of our other vehicles. makes giant explorer feel like a smart car lol

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen

My mother had a '08 Altima that at 120,200 miles the CVT ate itself. Nissan denied the warranty since it was 200 miles outside the 120,000 factory extension. There is a reason they doubled the CVT warranty from 60k to 120k. However, from what I read on the 'net when this happened, it's more prone to failure on the 4-cylinder motors and not as frequent on the V6s.

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
I wish they put the 2.4l from the TSX in the TL, those were awesome motors. Plus I think they were timing chains instead of belts. I'd keep the TL!

Users who are viewing this thread