08 shelby with VMP 2.65" pulley what plugs should I be using?

03Bite

Established Member
So I am going to be putting some bolton mods on the Shelby and was wondering what spark plugs I should be running. I have a 2.65" upper pulley with a JLT and some cooling mods. What are you guys running??? Thanks

scmustangs

Established Member
I used my stock plugs when I had the VMP mods. If they have low miles I would stick with what you have.

Spawn

mmjax.com webmaster
Established Member

That's what I run with a 2.6 Metco on my stock Eaton.

With the added boost and the heat it helps get more power with the colder plug. Everyone recommends doing the plugs when you add more boost and heat.

Did Justin get you a tune or are you going to have this put on soon and get it tuned? I keep the stock in the old box with me just in case.

The Basic NGK TR6 isnt that much.

Shaker1

Walkin' on Sunshine
Established Member
Yep, I put in NGK TR6 V-power (4177) gapped at .032. Noted that the OEM were platinum and TR6 is not. Check out Rockauto.com for a great price (1.62 each).

14,000 miles and the oem plugs were light/medium tan. Found some white residue at the top of the threads, thinking it was from anti-seize.

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
NGK TR6 is a standby that works.

TR7 if you plan on beating on it a lot.

Autolite 103's; AP103 (single platinum) APP103 (double plat) AR103 (Race; has cut back/shortened over electrode)...the AR103 works real well.

Motorcraft AGSF12FM-1...these are good as well.

2Sharpie

Established Member
This should help..........from VMP directly

[ame=http://vmptuning.com/forum/showthread.php?t=961]GT500 Spark Plugs - VMP Tuning Message Board[/ame]

Shaker1

Walkin' on Sunshine
Established Member
I don't have a lower and gapped my TR6s at .032, should I set them at .035? What is the potential impact of the gap being too tight? Less power? Misfire?

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
Other than losing a very minute amount of low-end torque; it won't hurt anything for them to be gapped down to 32 instead of 35.

In general, most of the plugs I've handled (the TR6, Autolite 103's and Motorcraft 12's) don't like to be closed down below .035"; the over-electrode starts to become out of square in relationship to the center wire. Which, you would prefer the over to be square and parallel to the center wire.

Shaker1

Walkin' on Sunshine
Established Member
Thanks. I did a quick search when installing them and came up with .032, but might've misread. I may pull them in a thousand miles for inspection and anti-seize and regap then.

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
+1 NGK TR6....don't go iridium. You want your spark plug to foul out instead of your piston getting f%$ed up.

Though kinda rare, you'd be surprised how much damage a little platinum or iridium plug tip can do when it comes loose from the plug tip and/or over electrode pad and goes through the engine :kaboom:

Users who are viewing this thread