'08 Shelby Follow along for a TT kit build

bull3441

Established Member
Ronnie is breaking in a new clutch and gears. Go back with a fuel system on par and turn it up! I looked at mine yesterday lol. I just need to find time. Hopefully soon. Had the twin kit plus all the crap that went with that and the jigs. Took a good while. Like to get back on mine at some point. Not much left really. Throw the pumps back in and get a new driveshaft.
one thing i wonder, is the 2618 piston need a little more clearance. i wonder how over time the spray liner will hold up. not like they can hone that block and then custom match the pistons. i'm thinking out loud, you know more than me.

CPRsm

Honestly I couldn't tell you. I have read Ford spends more time on the cyl walls before the coating. They need to be able to throw pistons in too without a final hone. But I do know depending on the brand pistons, they come in varying size for a bore. I've bought them before on sbf that are for 4.030 bore and the pistons are 4.027. Some are closer, some farther from the actual bore size. If the bores are consistant I'd think you could just order all the pistons the same. If not, maybe order a bunch at +/- .02 to cover your ass lol. Curious myself how it holds up. If not great I'll sleeve it. I just wanted her on a diet.:banana:

Last edited:

rlhay2

Established Member
Currently breaking in the new gears and clutch.

Forecast is calling for multiple days of rain in the near future, as soon as that clears I will going back for the race gas tune.

Currently driving around on the 850hp pump gas tune...:dancenana:

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
one thing i wonder, is the 2618 piston need a little more clearance. i wonder how over time the spray liner will hold up. not like they can hone that block and then custom match the pistons. i'm thinking out loud, you know more than me.
modded GT-Rs, upwards of 1000HP at the wheels, have been around since '08 or '09 problem free so far, and they definitely have higher cylinder pressures than the 1000HP shelby. they should give the shelby guys an early warning of any problems:lol1:

rlhay2

Established Member
My apologies for the lack of updates, I have been driving the car and enjoying it!

Even found the time to compete in the Fall Texas Invitational and went 3-0 for the day. I sat out King of the Streets and the 6 speed challenge to minimize abuse and save some $$$.

Here is a vid from the event, skip to :46 second:
[youtube_browser]7Ynsn8JSM9w#t=38s[/youtube_browser]

Unlike the vid of me against the green GTR, the tires are no longer spinning as the boost ramps in (thanks BJ!) and I can shift the car without falling out of boost.

Also found the time to go to the 1/4 mile but the closest track's prep as of late has been very poor.

On the back half of the track the car can pick up 35-40 mph dependent upon how good the 1st 1/8 went. On a good 1/8 mile run it is closer to 35 and on a bad one it is closer to 40. On a night when the best 60ft was only a 1.9s, the 1/8 mile speed was 107.51 mph!!

But she jumped out of the groove just after the 1/8 mile and I coasted through the lights at 10.948 @ 121.51 I do believe she is capable of a 9.9x run, just need slightly better track prep and more seat time.

The finals numbers wound up being: ~825 rwhp on 93 octane pump gas and 1000+ on C16. With the amount of time we have spent tuning the car I have noticed that turbos are more sensitive to air quality than a supercharger. After some seat time, you can really tell when driving the car just how hot/humid the air is by how the car behaves.

The car runs and drives like N/A Mustang until the boost comes on.
Also, turbo cars do make the sexiest noises even when being casually driven.

Once in boost....it is rather hard to describe. My friends that I have taken for rides, are often also at a loss for words. My stepson says, "it sounds like something coming out of hell", when the cutouts are open. He's 11 so he is a bit melodramatic.

Trying to get a house built now, once we break ground I'll put a roll bar in the car and see what she'll do at the Texas Mile.

This has been my 1st turbo car and I am hooked!! Once the house is done (dual 3 car garages!!) I intend to try and pick up another project. Not sure just what yet, I am considering everything from a turbo fox/lightning to a TT Audi R8...not even close to making a decision yet.

But I'll be keeping this one for quite a while longer.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread