08 powerstroke

Boss_302

Established Member
Ok guys im thinking of buy an 08 Powerstroke crew cab. it is a theft recovery truck, i know it needs an intercooler and all interior minor stuff...the truck has 34,000 miles on it. I do not know what if anything is done to this truck so lets assume its stock... what do i need to look out for if i decide to buy this truck and what will i need to upgrade? How can i get better MPG i have read that theses things get 11-14 mpg.... if this is the case and i cant get about 20 mpg i will have to pass and go buy a Dmax, due to the fact with my half ton chevy right now i am getting 19mpg with 33 inch tires. This truck will be used to pull a 24ft enclosed trailer, and a 14ft dump trailer, I pull both of these right now with my half ton chevy and just pulled 5ton with this truck and averaged 12 mpg, 20klbs all together with truck and trailer. I would appreciate your help guys would like to have another ford in my shop to be along my 03 kb cobra, and project 69 mach 1.

ps: needs to be dependable since it will be my DD all year round

Sirhc7897

Established Member
I just got rid of my 08 crew cab 4x4 duramax and i can tell you....if you're expecting 20mpg out of it you'll be disappointed.....On it's best day it got 16-17.......

I've been looking at 08 powerstrokes as well here recently.....they are nice but the gas mileage sucks big time....They're heavy duty trucks (much more so than the Chevy was) and the thirst is just a nasty by-product......

I've been doing some research and it seems most people pick up 2-3mpg with a tuner but the 6-9 you'll need to consistently get 20mpg isn't happening.....Seems some of the guys with spartan tunes claim 5mpg better but one you throw bigger tires on there it ain't gonna happen...

The older motors (duramax & powerstroke would) but these new motors are saddled with so much new emissions crap that's a tall order.....

Boss_302

Established Member
Thanks for some of the info. i have just been doing a lot of reading on theses things lately and the Dmax's i have read and heard of people getting 19-23 mpg. but the emissions i would do away with as much as i can possible.

lancec2c30

I just gagged
Established Member
On the 6.4 powerstrokes, if you buy a good tuner (spartan) then do the EGR and DPF delete. You can pick up a lot more MPG's.

What really kills fuel economy is when the damn thing goes into regen. It uses fuel to burn off all the build up in the DPF.

Last edited:

Sirhc7897

Established Member
Thanks for some of the info. i have just been doing a lot of reading on theses things lately and the Dmax's i have read and heard of people getting 19-23 mpg. but the emissions i would do away with as much as i can possible.

I wish I could have found some of the stuff those guys were on with new new LMM motor....I've heard those claims too but thye're just that....claims.......The guys that were actually posting evidence behind their numbers (outside of "I just got me one of them there chips installed and now I'm getting 22mpg"....) seem to be picking up 2-3mpg (which would get you close to 20 on the Duramax). I was always getting 15-16 with 80% of my driving neiong at 70+ on the interstate or country roads and the other 20% being in very light traffic in town.....Carrying the load I was carrying (trailer and tractor combo in the 10k region) I'd average 13ish mpg...

I have also heard that the 6.4 gains significantly more mpg with a tune and dpf delete than the duramax but have no first hand experience.......

I do know my Dmax went through 4 seals between the tranny and driveshaft in 40k miles......A lot of people have had a similar leak as well......It's not the biggest issue but IMO shouldn't be happening.....There was also a TSB about diesel fumes in the cab resulting from a warped down pipe on the turbo caused by regen heat too....

In shopping them the last week or two I'm of the opinion that the Ford is clearly a superior vehicle. I'm drooling over a 09 F350 FX4 crew cab in all black with black leather interior but at $49.5k OTD it's just ever so slightly out of my budget at the moment......:(

Users who are viewing this thread