08 Mustang GT vs 03-04 Cobra Comparison

SVTPoke

Established Member
Because my 2001 Cobra was totaled recently, I am trying to decide what to do next. I think I have narrowed it down to buying a 2008 GT or a 2003/2004Cobra. I'm hoping several of you here used to have a 2003/2004 Cobra and bought one of the 2005 or newer Mustang GTs and could give me a comparison of the two vehicles plus which you like best.

ZChaos0026

Established Member
i have never owned a cobra, so i cant help ya there, but id say schedule a test drive at a local dealer with both...see which you like better, because ultimately you will be the one deciding. i can tell ya that the s197 is a whole other animal over the previous gt's, but i cant give ya a comparison with a termi...it wont be as fast obviously, but one might have more room, or handle differently than the other. tryem both and buy what makes you the happiest

99GTtony

Rain city stanger
Established Member
Never owned a termi. My best friend has one though, and he really likes my car, even being quite a bit slow compared to his car. Comparing power and torque, the termi will be way better. I went from a 99GT with a ton of bolt-ons, still only 260ish at the wheels. My '06 was over 260 stock at the wheels, and I'm 10 shy of 300 with only a CAI and tune. Ford did an amazing job on the S197 platform. Go out and drive both and go from there.

TERMIN8TR

Established Member
i own both, an 03 TERMINATOR convertible and an 06 mustang gt convertible with an automatic.
The cobra is primative compared to the 05 and up cars, the ride is superb, the rigidity is better than the cobra. It's just a super nice car to drive.
Now when I want to get nasty, I pull the TERMINATOR out and go have some fun.

Julie GT07CS

Established Member
i own both, an 03 TERMINATOR convertible and an 06 mustang gt convertible with an automatic.
The cobra is primative compared to the 05 and up cars, the ride is superb, the rigidity is better than the cobra. It's just a super nice car to drive.
Now when I want to get nasty, I pull the TERMINATOR out and go have some fun.

I totally agree! Both of our cars are coupes with manuals. Our 07 GT/CS is a freakin luxury car compared to our 03 Cobra as far as comfort! Both seats are full power and are heated. ;-)If you wanna go real fast all the time plus be in an awesome stang, buy a Terminator. If you do a lot of daily driving, long distance driving or may need to have people in the back seat, get an 05 or newer. Our kids barely fit in the backseat of the Cobra! Of course, it wasn't meant to ever be a "family car" LOL. We play in our Terminator on weekends, too. :beer:

DMMIII

Established Member
For a daily driver, I would recommend the 08 GT, plus you can always add power to it later. As far as an occasional driver, you cannot go wrong with the Terminator.

03OxGT

Established Member
Well, as everyone else said.

If you want Decent speed, but a lot of comfort, and driveability, go for the S197

If you want a mean, nasty, but all around sleek balls out brawler, go for the Cobra

93 svt

03 ROUSH stage 3
Established Member
Depends on what you want. i feel the newer cars are more of a luxury ride and better for daily driving. but my terminator kicks some ass
IMG_2531.jpg

IMG_2850.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread