08 motor trouble

03chromecobra

Jason Daily
Established Member
So I had my car running for 5 minutes before I took off and after I got 1/4 mile from home I started hearing a god awful belt squeal. Then the smell of burning rubber, and then the motor shut off. Now this all happened in about 5 seconds so before I know it I'm coasting to a stop. I get he car on the side of the road and look under the hood, everything looked ok from what I could tell? So I cranked it back up squealed for 1 second and stopped, I was able to drive home with no issue. I never got into boost going or coming. Any suggestions? Maybe stretched belt, bad bearing in one of my pullies, bad tensioner, misaligned sc pulley? Any help to see where I should start would be greatly appreciated. :beer: Oh forgot to mention I have a KB 2.8 on the car.

Last edited:

Zemedici

Established Member
everything seemed to look ok? Crank it up and have it run with the hood popped? Could be something got on the belt, etc. It drives completely normal?

03chromecobra

Jason Daily
Established Member
So I just took it out. No problems at all. Runs just fine. Maybe it was just something on the belt. I'm not sure what happened.

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
Did you have the AC on? Sometimes a compressor can lock up if it hasn't been used in a while, or is going bad. Just throwing it out there.

Zemedici

Established Member
maybe something on the belt. Not sure why it would cause the car to die though. Hmm. It may be just one of those freak things, I'd keep a close eye on the car for the next week or so, and if it doesnt do it again dont worry about.

It was the ghost of christmas :)

03chromecobra

Jason Daily
Established Member
No ac but I did have the defrost on to defog the winshield. When I popped the hood I noticed this pulley is not in use. What is it for? I can freely spin it with my hand and can see where a belt has been on it before. Sorry for the newb posts just trying to learn the car. shelby 053.jpg

Zemedici

Established Member
the black one appears to be your power steering pulley, making the one you're referring to an idler pulley. You said there's no belt using it currently?

03chromecobra

Jason Daily
Established Member
Yeah that's correct, the belt isn't touching. There are belt marks on it so I'm not sure if the belt is routed incorrectly or what?

Zemedici

Established Member
Yeah that's correct, the belt isn't touching. There are belt marks on it so I'm not sure if the belt is routed incorrectly or what?

that sounds right, the belt may have slipped off the idler. If the pulleys smooth that means it goes along the back of the belt normally.

5f7b5349.jpg

03chromecobra

Jason Daily
Established Member
So the tensioner tightens both belts? I don't understand where you use the 15mm for the six rib belt? I understand how to loosen the tensioner I just don't have enough leverage with my little wrench, have to get the right tool.

08KR525

Established Member
The tensioner for the accessory belt is above, to the left of the alternator. It's kinda a tight fit working in this area. I shredded a blower belt earlier this year and replacing these belts is no picnic.

08KR525

Established Member
What doesn't make sense to me is why that belt came off the idler when it's not even the belt that drives the ac compressor if the compressor locked up even momentarily. I would be sure to examine both belts thoroughly to see if they've been burned anywhere. That way maybe you can figure out what happened. Please keep us posted on what you find.

04-OW-COBRA

Established Member
The belt shouldn't be on both sides of the idler, should be on the left side. You need to pull the belt and check it for any damage. Also check that idler. I know you said it spins freely now but i'm wondering if the bearing is going out and it locked up on you and that's what you heard and smelt. I would replace it just to be safe.

HillbillyHotRod

Hooligan rabble rouser
Established Member
Sure you did not have something freeze up causing the belt to come off. If a bearing seized it would kick the belt off while causing a squeal before the belt came off.

03chromecobra

Jason Daily
Established Member
So I had to cut the old belt off because it was installed completely incorrect. I could have taken the idler pulley off but since I was replacing the belt anyway, I decided to cut it. There's no way the belt slipped off the idler because of the metal bracket in the front of the pulley, someone must have taken that pulley off and installed the belt and then reattached the pulley. As you can see in the picture, one of the ribs on the belt is pretty worn down. This was probably the burning rubber I smelled the other day. The serpentine belt tool handle was too long and smashing my air filter so I had to use a regular wrench with foam padding for my palm! I got everything installed and drove it around, seems to be working great! Thanks to everyone for their help :rockon:068.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread