'08 GT500 - McLeod RXT & what else?

DiZzyBonne

Established Member
I'm finally getting around to fixing the clutch in my car, and I want to know what else I should buy along with the clutch. I'm going to buy the McLeod RXT clutch and flywheel kit, and I know I need a slave cylinder. In regards to the cylinder, should I buy the Ford OEM, McLeod, RAM, or other brand slave cylinder? I searched online, and I only found about two or three responses, but they all simply said that they're using the OEM unit, and didn't explain why.

For an extra $150, does an aftermarket slave cylinder offer any benefits to the OEM?

Also, does the Ford OEM slave cylinder come with the hydraulic clutch release bearing and the pilot bearing? What about the throwout bearing? Any other bearings I need, or should replace while I'm there?

Any other items I should purchase to replace while I'm down there? Another thing I heard was to replace the clutch line with a stainless steel braided one. Is this necessary? If so, does anybody recommend any brand in particular?

Is there anything else I should do or replace while I'm down there? The car has just over 25,000 miles. What about any gaskets, seals, grease, etc.?

This is all I have ready to purchase:
McLeod RXT Clutch and Flywheel Kit
Ford OEM Slave Cylinder (or should I use a different slave cylinder brand?)
Still deciding on what brand of clutch line to get. Any suggestions?

I'm not sure if this includes all the bearings I need, and what else might be missing to make the install a one-and-done deal. I don't want to have forgotten something and have to drop the transmission again later down the road lol.

Thanks!

Last edited:

ALLKHEINZ

Established Member
im wondering the same, i just got an rxt 1200 and also the stainless line with bleeder....ordered the stock 07-09 Slave aswel...not sure about the release and pilot bearing questions someone else may be able to chime in on thsat

54First

Grouchy Old Guy
Established Member
Slave and throwout bearing (aka clutch release bearing) are one piece. Stock is fine. Check with McLeod on which one you need. There are a couple of different ones. The pilot bearing is a separate piece. I got the McLeod clutch line while I was ordering their clutch. Don't bother with the one with the bleeder valve. You can't get to the bleeder once installed.

If the clutch doesn't come with ARP flywheel and clutch bolts, you may want to get a set.

Steve

Last edited:

DiZzyBonne

Established Member
When you say to check with McLeod on which one I need, that there are a couple of different ones, are you talking about the slave cylinder?

Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread