08 GT500 brake cooling duct kit+shelby heat exchanger

KKOSH

Established Member
Was wondering if it is possible to install the Ford racing brake duct kit or any other brand because I have the Shelby C/R heat exchanger installed? My car is lowered with the 20'' Alcoa's also. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

blackvette101

Established Member
Was wondering if it is possible to install the Ford racing brake duct kit or any other brand because I have the Shelby C/R heat exchanger installed? My car is lowered with the 20'' Alcoa's also. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

I have the cooling ducts but they are routed up to my intake either way their is still plenty of room. Their is almost 3'' per sides. I have the bigger heat exchanger of the two that they sell. The one that retails for $1200.

bFoxGt500

Established Member
I have the FRPP brake duct kit and the C&R HE and my car is lowered with the FRPP springs. Either I don't understand the question or don't see a problem.

Blackvette, I see you have an '08 like mine and you've done what I've thought of doing - route a duct system to the intake. Do you have any pics or detail on how you did it. Did you use the '13 intake?

blackvette101

Established Member
I have the FRPP brake duct kit and the C&R HE and my car is lowered with the FRPP springs. Either I don't understand the question or don't see a problem.

Blackvette, I see you have an '08 like mine and you've done what I've thought of doing - route a duct system to the intake. Do you have any pics or detail on how you did it. Did you use the '13 intake?

The car is at my shop so I can't take pics until Monday. But I have the JLT kit that they make specifically to do it.

JLT 07-09 Shelby GT500 Fresh Air Kit with Billet Aluminum Grille Bezels (Clear Anodized) - JLT Performance - Induction Kits - Induction - 07-09 Shelby GT500

It routes the air up into that small 6'' triangular opening directly under the filter. the driver side tube goes pretty much straight up and the passenger side tube snakes across the radiator support. (it hangs a couple inches lower then the rad support so you may have clearance issues.) I am using the JLT 155mm intake.

I do not know if it works or not. I like the concept but the only way to test it would be with in car datalogging at high speed which I do not have access too. I figured for $160 bucks (or $110 if you already have the bezels) it can't hurt why not try it.

Last edited:

bFoxGt500

Established Member
Thanks Man! I remember seeing that now. Since I have to brake cooling ducts and road track the car, I've been hesitant to replace the brake cooling with extra air to the CAI. I was also surprised that JLT only claims 1-2degF difference. What I really want to do is similar to what the 13-14 cars do, which would mean drilling out more of the grill (not a problem though - however, when I had to drill the lower grill out from the backside and from underneath the car to install the cooling ducts, I found it extremely difficult - especially on the passenger side). I appareciate the response!

KKOSH

Established Member
I didn't know if I would have clearance issues with the bigger heat exchanger. I didn't know that they made an air intake cooling kit either! Now I have decide if I do the brakes or the air intake kit

bFoxGt500

Established Member
IMO it depends on what you are going to do with the car. If you run the car on a road track, both overheating brakes and IAT2 can be a big issue. For me, the first thing to upgrade were the brakes (pads, cooling ducts, ss lines and fluid) because those were the first things to need it. I added the upgraded HE and never had a problem until I added new SC - and then found out I had engine issues that were causing overheating the SC. Besides, if you are on the track, the brakes are the MOST important feature of the car. Even if the car handles like crap, you can still get up to serious speeds and you've got to slow down or stop at some point. :). What I will say is that if I had to do the cooling ducts over, I'd remove the front bumper to get to the rear of the grill

Users who are viewing this thread