'08, '09, '10 cobra

apollo7

Established Member
We're all getting pretty worked up about the '07 cobra. What about later years? The new model mustang will be around for at least 3-4 years (see the 94-98, 99-04 runs etc.). If the '07 is 450+ HP, what about the later years (500, 550 HP?)?

What if we just sit back and wait until everyone else has paid their premium on the '07 and we just buy later, with more HP and less bugs from a new model? I waited on my '03 and saved 7K off the sticker, not including what people paid in premiums.

Fourcam330

Established Member
IDRXDOC said:
We're all getting pretty worked up about the '07 cobra. What about later years? The new model mustang will be around for at least 3-4 years (see the 94-98, 99-04 runs etc.). If the '07 is 450+ HP, what about the later years (500, 550 HP?)?

What if we just sit back and wait until everyone else has paid their premium on the '07 and we just buy later, with more HP and less bugs from a new model? I waited on my '03 and saved 7K off the sticker, not including what people paid in premiums.

It would be a much smarter move doing what you said, and not purchasing initially. Ultimately that situation, and its cause are true of any new/improved car or truck. The next is always going to be better than the last, and cars are horrible investments. :shrug:
By '09-'10 I see Ford going back to a larger displacement N/A V8.

mike351c

You can bet there will be an IRS in the near future also. If Ford is smart they'll offer both. Then everyone gets what they want and Ford sells more cars. The future's so bright I gotta wear shades!

Last edited by a moderator:

R1Lello

Established Member
IDRXDOC said:

:dw: What if this, what if that?? why don't we just wait until we're 70 years old so that way when we floor our 500 plus hp, we'll have heart attacks and die..................enjoy life today, it's too short to wait. And don't assume we'll all pay premiums, I certainly won't. Maybe msrp, and maybe not. How can you forecast the future, yes we can assume later years will be a bit more hp but how long do we wait? Did the guy that bought an 82 GT wait until 1987 to get 225 hp?? Did the guy who bought the 2000 GT know the Term with 390 hp was coming in 2003?? In general cars are not a good investment, you buy them, enjoy them, and if they still excite you, you modify yours or upgrade. That's how dealers and manufacturers stay alive.

mike351c

R1Lello said:
:dw: What if this, what if that?? why don't we just wait until we're 70 years old so that way when we floor our 500 plus hp, we'll have heart attacks and die..................enjoy life today, it's too short to wait. And don't assume we'll all pay premiums, I certainly won't. Maybe msrp, and maybe not. How can you forecast the future, yes we can assume later years will be a bit more hp but how long do we wait? Did the guy that bought an 82 GT wait until 1987 to get 225 hp?? Did the guy who bought the 2000 GT know the Term with 390 hp was coming in 2003?? In general cars are not a good investment, you buy them, enjoy them, and if they still excite you, you modify yours or upgrade. That's how dealers and manufacturers stay alive.
Exactly! If you like the car buy it. If it's not what you want, buy something else, mod what you got, or wait til something better comes along. But if you're waiting for the ultimate car, it's always coming out two years from now.

jshen

Established Member
I'm curious Too

rphinney said:
Fourcam what makes you think the car will end up N/A?

You know an awful lot about ford engines and development...Is Ford going to the "direct injection" fuel injection like Mazda?

venams03

Established Member
There maybe some truth here about future Cobras-SVTs. I just got off the phone with a local dealer who put me on the list for an '07. I'm 9th on the list and he doubts that he will get anywhere near that number.

More importantly he suggested that the 7 -9K units sold the first year would possibly go out to all FORD dealers (not just SVT authorized dealers) as regular FORD product and not specifically an SVT vehicle. Following up the next year ('08 model?) they are talking about bumping up the performance another notch and releasing a "UNIQUE" SVT only (authorized dealers) version. This is the secone time I've heard the same story from 2 different dealers...Now I'm starting to wonder. Problem for me, like someone already stated; I've been waiting for years already and still 1 to go, I'm not waiting another year!! This sucks!

Fourcam330

Established Member
N/A motors are still superior to their forced induction counterparts in one way, reliability/durability/warranty claims. Ford would love to have emissions legal N/A motors that crank out 500-600HP, but at present really has no choice but to supercharge the present series to get those results. The next gen. V8s will have more bore, larger valves, and real bore spacing that allows for future displacement/power increases without block flex. All that adds up to a package that can meet HP/TQ goals without a blower and the extra costs associated with them. Out the door we may be looking at 6.2L, but the blocks should be good for 8.0L. I'm a fan of GT heads, a twin screw, and 5.4L, but the possibility of an 8.0L large bore DOHC really gets me going.
I would think the Hurricanes would implement direct injection, but I can't say for sure at this time--they will obviously use VCT.

eichisama

SVT Lurker
Established Member
Fourcam330 said:
I would think the Hurricanes would implement direct injection, but I can't say for sure at this time--they will obviously use VCT.

If the Hurricane isn't dead, why would Ford announce its demise? (serious question here - I don't understand)

If you're right (and you've never given me reason to doubt you yet), I'd be absolutely *thrilled*. What kind of gas mileage do you think they'll be getting, though?

Fourcam330

Established Member
eichisama said:
If the Hurricane isn't dead, why would Ford announce its demise? (serious question here - I don't understand)

If you're right (and you've never given me reason to doubt you yet), I'd be absolutely *thrilled*. What kind of gas mileage do you think they'll be getting, though?

Ford has a habit of doing that to its powertrain programs, meaning once leaks start getting out they supposedly kill the program, then the engines show up right on time.
The 3.5 VCT Duratec V6 and the light duty 4.5L diesel V6 are good examples of this. If Ford were to hype the 3.5 none of the existing Ford 500s with 3.0L non VCT Duratecs would sell.
I can't speculate on MPG for the Hurricanes at this time.

mustangsnoopy

Established Member
if i get an 07 gt500 and the next year they come out with something that tops it, i would be pissed, but thats the problem with buying any new car. i read where chevy has already stated that the new z06 with its 505hp will be the end of the road, that "we have run out of tricks" of course they are saying that now, but you just watch.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
I've been toying with the same idea, but in my case buying a Whipple and some coil overs for my 03 and enjoying it even more since its paid off for 2 years+ and get an 08 Cobra along the way.

But then again I always wind up with the "gotta get it first" syndrome... :burnout:

Users who are viewing this thread