07 thru 2012 Differences?

Night-Mare

Established Member
Hello all,

I am considering purchasing a used GT500, and am curious if yall could assist me with information. I am curious as to the differences in the cars from 07 through '12. I know 11 and 12 the exterior appearance changed, and if I recall correctly it recieved an aluminum block, but are there any other differences that were made between the S197 years? I was stuck on an 11-12 but if the cast block is more reliable and there are no other changes other than appearance, I could definitely go a little older. Your input is valued and appreciated folks!

APMECH

Established Member
11 & 12's also have electric steering, larger heat exchanger, different computer/wideband O2's/maf/knock sensors, twin disc clutch, 3.73 gears/forged 19" fronts/20" rears(svt track pack). I think the '10 and up have an updated dual fuel pump assy and pump driver as well as factory cold air intake too. All I can think of right now... there's more..

Last edited:

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
07-09 virtually the same and have a clutch tsb through ford other than the 07 having the boat anchor crank pulley that will need to be swapped when you do an upper. 10 was the body style change, the cast block remained and I believe this year started the knock sensors. 11-12 went to the aluminum block but there is no evidence it's stronger/weaker but it is lighter. These years some cars also have the dreaded 1-2 shift grind at high rpms so take it for a spirited test drive before you buy. In 13 they created a monster, made a long story short.

Night-Mare

Established Member
Thanks for the info guys, I really do appreciate it. Seems like I can't really go wrong with any of the year models. I do like the appearance of the 10-12 but that is personal preference. Nightride, thank you for posting about known issues with these vehicles...we all know that every make and model has a few snakes in the closet. =)

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
The '07-'09(?) had leather dash, steering wheel, door panels, and shift boot. And I believe they had leather trimmed rear seats, too. They came with 3.31 rear end.

The '11/'12 have a [very] short throw stock shifter. They came with 3.55 rear end standard or 3.73 on the optional SVT Performance Package. The non-SVTPP car had the traditional wide stripes. The SVTPP had the [controversial] thin stripes.

Wingrider

Established Member
Hello all,

I am considering purchasing a used GT500, [snip]... I was stuck on an 11-12 but if the cast block is more reliable and there are no other changes other than appearance, I could definitely go a little older. Your input is valued and appreciated folks!

I haven't heard of any issues or read any with the iron or the aluminum block in supporting equal horsepower up to about 850whp. Am I mistaken?

Lemmy

Established Member
I haven't heard of any issues or read any with the iron or the aluminum block in supporting equal horsepower up to about 850whp. Am I mistaken?

Blocks might, but I don't know about the rods. Usually it is not the block that breaks on its own it is frequently a rod being thrown that does the block in. The aluminum block is 100 lbs lighter than the iron of the 2010, and on a track that does matter. I'm not taking my 2010 to a track, nor am I modifying it from stock condition. An iron block and 540 horsepower is plenty for me, and I know an iron block will last and last. Particularly with good engine oil. Maybe the plasma sprayed aluminum ones will, too. We'll know in 5 years.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
That seems like if you keep the revs in check, the rods would still be ok.

Users who are viewing this thread