07 S197 vs 97 Camaro

jpac811

Slow 3v
Established Member
I have a buddy with a '97 Camaro Z28 and he swore up and down that he could beat my "axle back only" S197 since thats all I told him I had lol. You cant hear my Whipple over my exhaust so its pretty believable. So we took our cars out and had a few runs. We raced from a dig, a roll and I even gave him 2 car lengths. Than I let him in on my little secret and he wasnt too happy lol. Here are the vids.

I cant embed for the life of me sorry

Dig race
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wqb5Y2kogdg&list=UUACQpD_g68bhaDWp98S22yQ&index=7&feature=plcp"]Chevy Camaro vs Ford Mustang GT - YouTube[/nomedia]

Roll race
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_-YSwOmRRg&list=UUACQpD_g68bhaDWp98S22yQ&index=6&feature=plcp"]Chevy Camaro vs Ford Mustang GT interior - YouTube[/nomedia]

I gave him 2 car lengths, from a dig
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kS9UvcY-RRM&list=UUACQpD_g68bhaDWp98S22yQ&index=2&feature=plcp"]LT1 vs S197 - YouTube[/nomedia]

There is an LS1 Corvette that wants to race me. He is all stock except for a 150 shot. Im wondering how I would fair against that.

Here is the Camaro, Corvette and Mustang
DSCF1396.jpg

Last edited:

RED06RED6SP

Established Member
Good close race. He might of got ya if he remembered to empty his trunk. j/k :)

S8ER01Z

Established Member
lol He wanted to be the bully with the big ol 5.7, I just didnt even say anything

All good fun, 5.7 is just a little guy these days. I feel bad for the LT1 guys... People pull better numbers now in v6 cars than they did stock. Have to do some work to play with the newer stuff.

S8ER01Z

Established Member
Nah he just needs to do something about those stock heads and he will be making awesome power. :)

LSWon00

ATC ZTL
Established Member
Well if you were just axle back it would have been much closer.

But I like your style, laid down the beating and showed him what assuming does.

The C5 would be a fairly even run if its a stock with just spray and tune. My old LS1 all stock with a tune 150 wet kit and colder plugs made just over 430/450. He weighs less and will have much better aerodynamics so bring your A game.

jpac811

Slow 3v
Established Member
So I raced the Vette last night but my Go Pro was a No Go. Sorry. His spray wasnt hooked up any way. We did it twice. He jumped me on the dig but I pulled him in and passed him but we were doing 130ish I believe by the time I let off. Than we did it from a 20 roll maybe? I wasnt watching the speedo. He honked and jumped again but I pulled on him and let off after he was at my rear bumper. Again we must have been around 140. Im not beating him on spray lol. I did get another view of me and the Camaro when I gave him 2 car lengths though. This is from his girl friends phone:coolman:

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0aofUBHSzY"]S197 vs LT1 interior view - YouTube[/nomedia]

Last edited:

jpac811

Slow 3v
Established Member
I have never looked under his hood. I guess he could be pulling the same crap I pulled on the Camaro lol. I did walk him but not by as much as I thought I would. Im sure he has a NA tune along with his Nitrous tune but he hasnt confirmed that. All Ive seen is he is running DRs and a stock looking exhuast. Its not loud at all:shrug:

This is basically what the our run looked like except he always jumped and got a half a car in front and I stared pulling him like this video
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFCkkD1jSRk&feature=player_embedded"]VID00013 - YouTube[/nomedia]
I just got this from another thread on here lol

Last edited:

S8ER01Z

Established Member
I guess I would just expect you to yank me and pull away. Tires must help him get just enough jump to keep him ahead for a moment.

jpac811

Slow 3v
Established Member
I guess so man. Im also shifting utterly slow as I have 2 crushed fingers on my right hand and I see the devil every time I have to shift hard and fast. Check out my other videos of me racing the LT1 and you can see I take about an hour in between shifts. Excuses, Excuses...

LSWon00

ATC ZTL
Established Member
Well if that's how the Vette race went down off the bottle your Vette friend is pulling a YOU. Look at the heads if he has the hood open, if its an early pre 1999 vette the heads will be 803, later cars have either 853 or 241 as the casting numbers on the passenger front. If you see 243 those are LS6 head if you see nothing then he has some sort of aftermarket head or he could just have a ported/polished. Patriot as well as other companies use 806/862 (5.3L truck) heads and build them which is (or used to be) a common swap. Also you won't be able to see it but some guys would swap to the LS6 cam, or another mild cam to keep the stock idle. Check the intake of there's no EGR hole just behind the throttle body he has a LS6 intake (this applies to pre 2002 cars and some late 2001 cars). There's a host of things he could have done to keep the vette sounding stock and appearing so as much as possible. If he does in fact have heads and a mild cam that would explain why you were so close in your race.

Last edited:

S8ER01Z

Established Member
Also you won't be able to see it but some guys would swap to the LS6 cam, or another mild cam to keep the stock idle. Check the intake of there's no EGR hole just behind the throttle body he has a LS6 intake (this applies to pre 2002 cars and some late 2001 cars). There's a host of things he could have done to keep the vette sounding stock and appearing so as much as possible. If he does in fact have heads and a mild cam that would explain why you were so close in your race.

Definitely no way to tell I had that cam unless I tell you about it. Idle is even smoother than the stock cam I pulled... Easy stealth mod for sure.

Little idle clip from this morning...

[youtube_browser]Up7sIdpWYfU[/youtube_browser]

Last edited:

jpac811

Slow 3v
Established Member
Good info. Thanks. It wouldnt surprise me if I was getting bamboozled also lol. Next time we race, Ill have 60lb injectors, smaller pulley making around 14psi opposed to my 8-9psi now and BBR stg 1 cams.

Users who are viewing this thread