07 harmonic balancer, stock blower + mods

Steven46746

Established Member
Looking at ordering the jlt 123 power pack from vmp or lethal performance soon. Just wondering if the stock balancer would be really safe with these mild mods or is the 08+ balancer a must for anything past stock?

MastaAce03

Established Member
Just switch that anchor out. You'll be happy you did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Get the balancer. ATI balancers seem really excellent and are OEM on the Cobra Jet race cars. I wouldnt mod or race hard with the stock balancer from 2007. If you get the ATI 10 or 15% lower, get a pulley like a 2.6 or 2.7. The M122 stock blower is know for having high discharge temps when pullied and using an overdriver balancer

OR you can opt for a OEM 2008+ balancer if you know your not going to get crazy with mods in the near future. In that case, a 2.5" pulley would be the best option. Dont forget about the 90mm idler!

Also, do yourself a favor and dont worry about the power pack. Get your parts and flash tuner on their own. I cant recommend enough the PMAS 120mm intake and its a completely different level of quality over the JLT. It makes tuning easy and ACCURATE. Since i bought my JLT and until I swapped out for a PMAS, Id have surging in my coasting idle RPMs. this happened both with VMP's precanned tune (really noticeable) and now with Lund Racing as my tuner. The inner diameter of the JLTs range from a few mm bigger to a few mm smaller than advertised. That variance throws off the tune and subsequently the driveability of the car. With the PMAS, the car drives like stock.

Steven46746

Established Member
Get the balancer. ATI balancers seem really excellent and are OEM on the Cobra Jet race cars. I wouldnt mod or race hard with the stock balancer from 2007. If you get the ATI 10 or 15% lower, get a pulley like a 2.6 or 2.7. The M122 stock blower is know for having high discharge temps when pullied and using an overdriver balancer

OR you can opt for a OEM 2008+ balancer if you know your not going to get crazy with mods in the near future. In that case, a 2.5" pulley would be the best option. Dont forget about the 90mm idler!

Also, do yourself a favor and dont worry about the power pack. Get your parts and flash tuner on their own. I cant recommend enough the PMAS 120mm intake and its a completely different level of quality over the JLT. It makes tuning easy and ACCURATE. Since i bought my JLT and until I swapped out for a PMAS, Id have surging in my coasting idle RPMs. this happened both with VMP's precanned tune (really noticeable) and now with Lund Racing as my tuner. The inner diameter of the JLTs range from a few mm bigger to a few mm smaller than advertised. That variance throws off the tune and subsequently the driveability of the car. With the PMAS, the car drives like stock.

Thanks for the info. If I were to go with the ati 10% what else would I need with the install? I'm assuming a new belt and a tune?

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Looking at ordering the jlt 123 power pack from vmp or lethal performance soon. Just wondering if the stock balancer would be really safe with these mild mods or is the 08+ balancer a must for anything past stock?
No, the 08' balancer is not a must if you modify IMO. However, the greater degree of modifications, the more the boat anchor 07' balancer becomes a liability/risk. Arguably, a general rule of thumb would be that all but the most aggressive 07' factory Eaton setups can run the stock balancer. Once you go past that, be best to make the change.

That being said, upgrading to the 08/09' balancer was the absolute first mod I made to my 07'. The 07' balancer weighs 21.3 lbs and the 08/09' balancer weighs 9.9 lbs. I did it more from a performance aspect, than a safety aspect.

And the 08/09' balancers can generally be found on our For Sale Forum here for $150+/-. Was a no brainer for me.

Steven46746

Established Member
Thanks guys. Looks like I'll go with the ati 10% od, intake, tune and off road X. The 10% od should get me close to the gains I would have had with a 2.5-2.6 pulley.

Users who are viewing this thread