07 GT500 stock long block horsepower limit through an auto

FourEyedFord

Established Member
How far can a stock 2007 GT500 long block be reliably pushed power wise through an auto? I obviously don't want to have to worry every time I get on it though either. The engine is actually in a 3300lb foxbody also, and I am thinking about putting a 4r70w or 6r80 behind it. Thank you for the input!

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
Connecting rods are the weak links. Reliability issues are likely to happen if you push it more than 6,500 rpm on a recurring basis. Some engines have held up better than others once they get to ~750 hp. If you want to beef it up, change the rods.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Lots of exciting things coming for 6R swaps, if you haven't committed to a trans I'd do the 6R all the way.
We just fit one into my brothers notch and minimal tunnel clearance issue. My friend with a TVS Coyote '11GT has been 9.40s with a 100% stock 6R, and I mean stock down to the fluid.
The rods and specifically RPM are the issue, so I'd recommend 750rwhp and shifting 60-6200rp, for a long happy life. 700rwhp with the same torque in a Fox with a 6R would be a 9sec ride all day with awesome reliability.
Good luck.
-J

FourEyedFord

Established Member
Thanks for the info guys. I plan on keeping the revs below 6500rpm. The car has a trinity on it now, but may get a Gen II housing upgrade, so it isn't like I am putting a big twin screw on it.

FourEyedFord

Established Member
Lots of exciting things coming for 6R swaps, if you haven't committed to a trans I'd do the 6R all the way.
We just fit one into my brothers notch and minimal tunnel clearance issue. My friend with a TVS Coyote '11GT has been 9.40s with a 100% stock 6R, and I mean stock down to the fluid.
The rods and specifically RPM are the issue, so I'd recommend 750rwhp and shifting 60-6200rp, for a long happy life. 700rwhp with the same torque in a Fox with a 6R would be a 9sec ride all day with awesome reliability.
Good luck.
-J

Thanks, and that's good to here! I didn't think it would be all that bad to put a 6r80 in a fox. I plan on running a bone stock trans with a circle D converter and a Power By The Hour control pack.

Mainn

Established Member
Thanks, and that's good to here! I didn't think it would be all that bad to put a 6r80 in a fox. I plan on running a bone stock trans with a circle D converter and a Power By The Hour control pack.

6r80's are super strong in stock form; you can't go wrong. Good luck with the swap, let us know how it goes. :) To answer your original question, keep it under 700rwhp and you should be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread