07 gt500 into 2001 cobra swap

jeason15

Established Member
Hey all, I know this has been done before, so I figured I would put some feelers out there. Who has swapped a 5.4 4v gt500 motor into their new edge cobra? I have seen some write ups out there, but none are comprehensive on what exactly needs to be modified. I know the drivetrain will need to be beefed up, and I will have to run a heat exchanger for the intercooler, as well as some other odds and ends, but what are the main things that need to be done? I have seen the brake booster needs to be modified or replaced, and I have heard that the 96-98 cobra booster will work, as well as one from a '00 R (I know, good luck finding one). What about wiring? ECU? Fuel system? I have a line on an engine, and I was wondering if there is any guidance from someone who has already fought this fight. Thanks.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Just FYI, the 96-04 cars don't have a brake booster. It's a hydroboost system. I don't see why you couldn't use your current ECU with a tune. You'll definitely need to upgrade your pump. And you'll need a throttle body that's cable controlled.

jeason15

Established Member
Just FYI, the 96-04 cars don't have a brake booster. It's a hydroboost system. I don't see why you couldn't use your current ECU with a tune. You'll definitely need to upgrade your pump. And you'll need a throttle body that's cable controlled.

Thanks for the reply, but im not really interested in splitting hairs here. Its a brake booster. Whether hyro or vacuum, its still a booster. I am aware that the fuel system will need an upgrade, and the TB will need to be either replaced to a cable set up or find a pedal TPS for the fly by wire throttle. If anyone that has done this swap wants to chime in on what they needed to do to make it work, or at least just touch on the main things that caught you off guard when you did it I would really appreciate. Im not saying I dont appreciate the opinions of all, but first hand knowledge would be best.

01yellercobra

Established Member
You're right, it's a type of booster. But one requires vacuum and the other doesn't. My point was that there isn't anything to modify. Basic knowledge to have before swapping engine. I haven't personally swapped in a 5.4, but I know a couple guys that did. But what do I know.

jeason15

Established Member
My point was that there isn't anything to modify.

From what I understand, thats not entirely correct. I know that there has been another writeup where the stock brake booster wouldnt clear the driver's side valve covers, and the heater connections on the passenger side had to be trimmed to clear the passenger side valve cover as well. I know that guys solution was to swap in a '00R booster that was mounted/spaced just a tad bit differently, and it cleared. I guess he happened to have one sitting around, and put it in there. Then another guy said that he was pretty sure that the booster on the '00R was the same one used on the 96-98 cobras, and they are just a little bit different than the ones used on the new edge in regards to the mounting flange dimensions.

as for basic engine knowledge, I think im pretty set in that regard, but I know there can be challenges when doing an out of application swap like that. I know that there are others on this forum that have done it successfully, and I would like to save myself as much hassle as far as figuring out what wont fit/work on the front end so I can anticipate it.

Last edited:

a320pylt

Established Member
You're right, it's a type of booster. But one requires vacuum and the other doesn't. My point was that there isn't anything to modify. Basic knowledge to have before swapping engine. I haven't personally swapped in a 5.4, but I know a couple guys that did. But what do I know.

I dont know if you are still considering or if you have gone ahead and done it but I have done it! Its a shit load of work and just when you feel like you have it all under control another problem creeps up. Its a mental game but one that can won of you stay the course. I say do it and have fun. This is my first start up and as you can see I ventured away from just the stock set up too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwFvqXKm7Pc

A320PYLT

a320pylt

Established Member
From what I understand, thats not entirely correct. I know that there has been another writeup where the stock brake booster wouldnt clear the driver's side valve covers, and the heater connections on the passenger side had to be trimmed to clear the passenger side valve cover as well. I know that guys solution was to swap in a '00R booster that was mounted/spaced just a tad bit differently, and it cleared. I guess he happened to have one sitting around, and put it in there. Then another guy said that he was pretty sure that the booster on the '00R was the same one used on the 96-98 cobras, and they are just a little bit different than the ones used on the new edge in regards to the mounting flange dimensions.

as for basic engine knowledge, I think im pretty set in that regard, but I know there can be challenges when doing an out of application swap like that. I know that there are others on this forum that have done it successfully, and I would like to save myself as much hassle as far as figuring out what wont fit/work on the front end so I can anticipate it.

The answer to your question on fit is YES it will fit. There are a ton of "gotchas" in a swap of this magnitude but all can be handled if you stick it out. Its tough for sure and the hardest one I have ever done. I have mine running on the original ECU which is 01 GT. The ECU on the shelby monitors things that are not in operation in my application so nothing is really lost in that regard. I have a few engine upgrades too like 2.9 whipple 95lb injectors, IW 10% lower, 2 AEM 50-1200 fuel pumps running thru An 10 line. If you do it just stick it out and it will come together. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwFvqXKm7Pc

A320PYLT

Users who are viewing this thread