07 Avalanche vs 07 Tahoe vs 07 F150 4x4 FX4

89#709

Established Member
Hey,
I was looking for some feedback from folks that may have one of these vehicles. I am looking at buying a new DD here shortly and these seem to be the 3 I am looking at. I am a true Ford Guy with a present day 04 SC Saleen Vert and former Explorer, Mustang GT, 89 Saleen owner. However I really like the looks of the Chevy Avalanche and the Tahoe in the LTZ package with the 20 inch rims and moon roof. But I also love the Ford F150 FX4 Package.

if you can tell me about the build quality etc with regards to rattles etc on any of these that would be great.
Any feedback is appreciated.
Explorer is too small and to be honest I never really liked the looks of the Expedetions. That is why I am leaning towards the Tahoe if I go with a true SUV.

Thanks and I look forward to your opinions.

SIr RicCuS

Orange County Horsepower
Established Member
89#709 said:
Hey,
I was looking for some feedback from folks that may have one of these vehicles. I am looking at buying a new DD here shortly and these seem to be the 3 I am looking at. I am a true Ford Guy with a present day 04 SC Saleen Vert and former Explorer, Mustang GT, 89 Saleen owner. However I really like the looks of the Chevy Avalanche and the Tahoe in the LTZ package with the 20 inch rims and moon roof. But I also love the Ford F150 FX4 Package.

if you can tell me about the build quality etc with regards to rattles etc on any of these that would be great.
Any feedback is appreciated.
Explorer is too small and to be honest I never really liked the looks of the Expedetions. That is why I am leaning towards the Tahoe if I go with a true SUV.

Thanks and I look forward to your opinions.

Buy a used Lightning for a fraction of the price and be 100x happier! :beer:

89#709

Established Member
I thought of that, but I need it for the winter as well as towing sleds and for the snow. I have a 98 F 150 4X4 off road now all leather etc with about 110K miles so I know I like that style. But I have to say the Chevy's are looking really strong.

Allanon

SVT Druid
Established Member
The real answer is that they are all great vehicles, the Chevy engines typically make a bit more power, but unless you are towing near the max of the trucks capactiy you won't really miss it. My wife drives an 06 Expedition, and I have to say that is the smoothest, quietest truck/suv I have ever driven.

ezernut9mm

CHAINED BLUE LIGHTNING!
Established Member
i think the new chevy's front bumper and fender bulges are some of the worst looking designs in the truck market and that's comming from an 06 silverado owner.
i don't know if they have redesigned the seats for 07 or not, but i have less than 9k on my 06 and the drivers seat has a horrible squeek when you shift your weight and the center console has come open on me twice while in the up position causing all my change and shit to spill out all over the inside. oh. and the ignition switch has stuck in the start position a couple of times, other than that it has been a good truck.

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
I have an 06 FX4 Screw with the 6.5' box and love it. No rattles or squeeks and smooth ride with the longer wheelbase.

89#709

Established Member
Thanks, That is the kind of feedback I am looking for. I can get a fully loaded FX4 with the crew cap doors at $31K, and the super crew cab (bigger full size rear doors) for about 36K. The Tahoe and Avalanche are all in the 40-43K range at MSRP.
I have heard that the Chevys squeak and rattle a lot after about 2 years. Is that accurate? The 07 's are a whole new design correct so do you think Chevy has adressed that? I know my F150 4x4 with 110K miles and going on 9 years old, is still pretty tight I have to say.

aoc racer

Ford is hella cool
Established Member
my buddy just got an FX4 and it is the tightest truck i've ever been in. except for maybe the harley davidson one, but it is badass none the less. I have an f-150 myself (XLT) and i love it just fine.

Duende

Thomas @ AppOSL.com
Established Member
Does the Tahoe or Avalanche have that fuel-saving "multi-displacement" setup, or whetever it is called?

89#709

Established Member
Yes the Chevys come with Flex fuel but I have not seen it advertised here in N.H. so that doesn't really fall into the equation yet but who knows. I am curious to know what the 08 or even 09 F150's are going to be like. It seems that Chevy and even the Tundra have gotten a lot of positive press lately since they are brand new trucks . Motor Trend TOTY for the Chevy I think and the Tundra was recieved well by the press but Sales have sucked so far from what I hear.
Anybody have any beta or links that tell me about the 08 F 150's or even the 09's when they are supposed to bring out a whole new truck?

Thanks again for the feedback.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
the 09 f150 is should be all new. the interior dash looks much more like the brand new superduty and there seems to be a powerdome hood as well. right now ford is planning for the new 5.8l boss motor to be in the 09 f150. the epa regulations will be very tight in 09 as well, so we will see what happens.:shrug:

i am trying to decide between the fx4 and the z71 myself. but i have to admit this truck looks very tempting. gmc with 4 inch lift and some nice wheels makes for a very practical truck.

89#709

Established Member
I agree that Z 71 with a lift does look pretty cool. I will keep it stock height as it will be a daily driver etc but I can't seem to go the Silverado Z71 route over the F150 FX4, yet I kinda like the Avalanche and those factory brushed aluminum 20's look great on that truck as well as the Tahoe.
So can I assume the 09 F150 will be more like what Ford is doing with the Super Duties? What about 08? Has anybody heard anything about that year?I could wait another year or so I guess if it is going to be that bad ass of a truck.

89#709

Established Member
I agree that Z 71 with a lift does look pretty cool. I will keep it stock height as it will be a daily driver etc but I can't seem to go the Silverado Z71 route over the F150 FX4, yet I kinda like the Avalanche and those factory brushed aluminum 20's look great on that truck as well as the Tahoe.
So can I assume the 09 F150 will be more like what Ford is doing with the Super Duties? What about 08? Has anybody heard anything about that year?I could wait another year or so I guess if it is going to be that bad ass of a truck.

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
those photos of the pickups with "off road" tires on 22" rims or what ever size they are SUCK.. why would anyone want too even attempt to take a pickup off road with sidewalls that are the size on my Cobra?

ezernut9mm

CHAINED BLUE LIGHTNING!
Established Member
i will say this. the gmc's look light years better than the chevys. that huge ass chrome bumper sucks ass! i have an 06 silverado and i still hate how heavy the front looks with that huge bumper cover. it looks stupid. the 07's look even worse with the uber wide grill and fender flares. jmho. lol

Users who are viewing this thread