07-12 heads on a 12-14 5.8 block

04whitesvtlight

the beast is almost mine
Established Member
I'm gathering parts to build a complete turbo motor and I already found a '14 5.8 block a few months ago and I've been searching for heads for a while. I finally found a brand new set but they are 07-12's about 80 miles from where I'm working at currently so don't have to deal with shipping. But I know there are coolant passages on the 13-14's can the 07-12 heads be drilled to work with the water passages on the 5.8 block? And are there any other differences in the years on the heads?

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Coolant passage drilled between exhaust valves as well as better valves/springs and possibly valve seats on the '13-14 heads for the 200mph goal.
If just for drag use, I'd say the earlier heads with earlier head gaskets are fine, but if your going to do any 1/2 to mile runs, or lots of highway pulls, the '13-14 heads are worth waiting for IMO.
-J

04whitesvtlight

the beast is almost mine
Established Member
they are bare heads and I'm going to have them completely gone through. ported all new valve train custom cams the works. This will purely be drag race and highway pulls/street car.

Speedboosted

Established Member
they are bare heads and I'm going to have them completely gone through. ported all new valve train custom cams the works. This will purely be drag race and highway pulls/street car.

I don't think you'll have a problem, there are plenty if fast 07-12 cars out there. I actually did the opposite, 13/14 heads on an iron 5.4 but I did upgraded springs, retainers, and valve seals. If the part about the valves being better than previous years is true I'll be ecstatic.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
If just for drag use, I'd say the earlier heads with earlier head gaskets are fine, but if your going to do any 1/2 to mile runs, or lots of highway pulls, the '13-14 heads are worth waiting for IMO.
-J
I'm running the 5.8 shortblock with 2012 heads. You have to use the 5.8 head gaskets with the 5.8 block. The bore diameter on the earlier gaskets is too small for the larger 5.8 bore. These small water passages will be terminated with the 5.8 head gaskets.

Ford used that coolant passage for long-term endurance tests. Install stainless steel valves if you're worried about it.

04whitesvtlight

the beast is almost mine
Established Member
Just in case any one else had the same question about older heads on a newer 5.8 block. I contacted slawko a few days ago and they offer a machine service to install water passages exactly like the 13-14 heads. I ended up purchasing the 07-12 heads I found and will be sending them to slawko for the water passages and full porting.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Just in case any one else had the same question about older heads on a newer 5.8 block. I contacted slawko a few days ago and they offer a machine service to install water passages exactly like the 13-14 heads. I ended up purchasing the 07-12 heads I found and will be sending them to slawko for the water passages and full porting.
Good idea as I would only recommend a mod like that from a VERY experienced machine shop. I'm assuming the '13-14 head casting is the same as GT and '07-12 GT500.
For strictly street/drag use that '13-14 cooling passage prob doesn't help much, but I'd def want it for top speed events.
-J

Users who are viewing this thread