07-09 stock manifolds

RamonSVT

Established Member
Hey guys I am curious as to how far I can get hp wise with stock manifolds.

I come from tge GM v6 3.8 and headers were a must because the more air you put in the engine the more air you needed out. Plus the manifolds were super restrictive. We had big problems with knock retard which grenaded cylinders so headers helped.

Im going to go with a kennebell and all the supporting mods but I heard headers are a pain in the butt so if i can get away with stock manifolds that would be great.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Hey guys I am curious as to how far I can get hp wise with stock manifolds.

I come from tge GM v6 3.8 and headers were a must because the more air you put in the engine the more air you needed out. Plus the manifolds were super restrictive. We had big problems with knock retard which grenaded cylinders so headers helped.

Im going to go with a kennebell and all the supporting mods but I heard headers are a pain in the butt so if i can get away with stock manifolds that would be great.

Every regular production Super Snake that leaves the Shelby factory has to meet 50 state emissions laws, this means that nothing ahead of the catback can be altered. I think 850 is where they currently are with the 3.6LC KB and 750 with the 2.8. If the Super Snake is then sent to Shelby Motorsports for a 900 or 1000 hp upgrade, then the 50 state regulation is not in play, but before that, the production Super Snake keeps its manifolds in place as part of the upgrade.

R

GT500Steve

Under Pressure
Established Member
I made 683/675 with a pretty conservative pump gas tune through the stock manifolds... made 713/707 when we leaned on it a little.

However, after a set of longtubes and new tune made 754/742 on 93 octane pump gas. So are LTs a pain in the butt.... you betcha... but they are a good addition on a car with a bigger blower.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
For a cast iron factory system, the GT500 exhaust manifolds are actually pretty darn good at getting exhaust gases out of the motor. You can get WELL into the 700's with the stocker manifods.

BrokenCool

LOL @ Retiring
Established Member
I made 683/675 with a pretty conservative pump gas tune through the stock manifolds... made 713/707 when we leaned on it a little.

However, after a set of longtubes and new tune made 754/742 on 93 octane pump gas. So are LTs a pain in the butt.... you betcha... but they are a good addition on a car with a bigger blower.

754 on pump gas with a TVS? Those #s seem high. Who tuned it and how much boost?

OP sorry to get a lil off topic.

kyl

Peanutbutter & Jealous
Established Member

Did you change to a smaller pulley or add a bigger lower for the new tune?

GT500Steve

Under Pressure
Established Member
Did you change to a smaller pulley or add a bigger lower for the new tune?

When it dyno'd at 713/707 I was running stock manifolds with a 2.5" upper... I switched to the LT's and dropped to the 2.4" upper and got 754/742. Both pulls were at appx 19psi, but the pulls were made on two different dynos, so hard (if not impossible) to say EXACTLY how much I gained.

My car does have a 10% lower, but it was in place during both dyno sessions.

BrokenCool

LOL @ Retiring
Established Member
When it dyno'd at 713/707 I was running stock manifolds with a 2.5" upper... I switched to the LT's and dropped to the 2.4" upper and got 754/742. Both pulls were at appx 19psi, but the pulls were made on two different dynos, so hard (if not impossible) to say EXACTLY how much I gained.

My car does have a 10% lower, but it was in place during both dyno sessions.

Impressive #s especially for pump gas but I would have another tuner look at it b/c you are probably running more boost then 19.5 and on pump gas with those numbers you are at high risk for detonation.

Unless you were on a very generous dyno.

GT500Steve

Under Pressure
Established Member
Impressive #s especially for pump gas but I would have another tuner look at it b/c you are probably running more boost then 19.5 and on pump gas with those numbers you are at high risk for detonation.

Unless you were on a very generous dyno.

Quite honestly I wasn't expecting the numbers I got with 93 octane. I was thinking more in the 720 range, but I will live with it lol :rockon: A/F was 11.6 at the highest on any of the pulls.

The only time I really hammer on my car is when I go to the track, and I always throw in a can of Torco for a little bit of a safety net. On the street I just ease around, don't really get the thrill out of street racing anymore, and don't really want the hassle of a huge speeding ticket.

I also wondered about how generous the dyno was, but I took my 2005 GT there as well, and with his tune and JLT CAI it managed 299/320. Thats about where most of the 3V's I have seen usually end up, so I don't really think it is extremely generous. To me its just a number for reference... it's fun to talk about and throw out there to sound cool, but what really matters is how it translates over to the track.

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
If the GT500 were a N/A car, the exhaust would be a much greater area of focus. But there's just so many other ways of increasing power that are less labor intensive and costly.

The thing I like about factory manifolds is that they keep NVH down to a minimum. With most aftermarket parts, you're always trading something off that was well engineered for good driveability from the factory. Whether it be a stiffer ride, sqeaks and rattles, more noise in the cabin, a sensitive clutch... it all sacrifices.

Seriously... over 700 RWHP through the factory logs. You guys have got it made.

Homer

Users who are viewing this thread