06 srt8 vs 12 5.0

daves03svt

Established Member
Finally got to run a 5.0.

I was out for a drive last weekend, waiting to merge onto the expressway, when I see a blue with white stripe 5.0 approaching. I goose it through the first two gears to see if he is interested, he is. Traffic is a bit thick but as luck would have it we catch a red light. We look at each other and nod, so I know it's about to go down. I bring the revs up to 2000rpm, light turns green and we are off. I instantly pull, the old 6.1 is roaring as second gear comes and goes. I'm three cars ahead at 100 when he lets off. Srt 1 5.0 0

We slow down and he pulls next to me at a 50mph roll and guns it. My pig of a trans wouldn't let me grab 2nd, so the 5.0 jumps out a car and a half by the time I get back into my powerband and start reeling him in. Once my nose hits his door he shuts it down. A win is a win and he caught me sleeping. Srt 1 5.0 1

We drive a bit further in traffic, him in front. The road is about to go from two to four lanes and all clear ahead. I hear him downshift in anticipation, then a bit of smoke and the roar of the coyote as he breaks into the right lane. This time I was ready and in 2nd gear. The boat is screaming through the kooks lts as I stop his pull. Third gear comes and I sail past with a wave. The road ahead is all clear, so I keep my foot planted on the loud pedal. Speedo passes 140mph and I have an easy bus or three on him. He flashes his highbeams at me and throws a wave, then exits. Srt 2 5.0 1

Been wanting to run a 5.0 since they came out, but never had the chance. The coyote did not disappoint as it held up much better than the ss 1le I've ran a few times. Only mods I could tell where exhaust, lowered springs, and bigger tires out back. I'm a h/c/e car, around 450 rwhp and 150k miles hahaha. Thanks for reading

sono

Established Member
Nothing better than a family truckster stomping on people. I'd love to have a sleeper with a bike rack and all the "Holiday Road" gear that humbles muscle cars.
Nice kill!

Rios302

Established Member
sounds like your car sounds pretty healthy. Good kill, I have never seen an srt8 300 owner that wants to mess around, its usually the slower RT challengers and chargers but never a 300.

daves03svt

Established Member
Thanks. I am always down to run anyone as long as the conditions are safe. Win or lose its all fun. I have the same problem in my area, except it's the 5.0 and m3s that love to throw revs but refuse to run when you line up with them. Maybe it's because my car is a huge boat and they don't want to waste their gas on running me lol.

5.0jake

Established Member
Finally got to run a 5.0.

I was out for a drive last weekend, waiting to merge onto the expressway, when I see a blue with white stripe 5.0 approaching. I goose it through the first two gears to see if he is interested, he is. Traffic is a bit thick but as luck would have it we catch a red light. We look at each other and nod, so I know it's about to go down. I bring the revs up to 2000rpm, light turns green and we are off. I instantly pull, the old 6.1 is roaring as second gear comes and goes. I'm three cars ahead at 100 when he lets off. Srt 1 5.0 0

We slow down and he pulls next to me at a 50mph roll and guns it. My pig of a trans wouldn't let me grab 2nd, so the 5.0 jumps out a car and a half by the time I get back into my powerband and start reeling him in. Once my nose hits his door he shuts it down. A win is a win and he caught me sleeping. Srt 1 5.0 1

We drive a bit further in traffic, him in front. The road is about to go from two to four lanes and all clear ahead. I hear him downshift in anticipation, then a bit of smoke and the roar of the coyote as he breaks into the right lane. This time I was ready and in 2nd gear. The boat is screaming through the kooks lts as I stop his pull. Third gear comes and I sail past with a wave. The road ahead is all clear, so I keep my foot planted on the loud pedal. Speedo passes 140mph and I have an easy bus or three on him. He flashes his highbeams at me and throws a wave, then exits. Srt 2 5.0 1

Been wanting to run a 5.0 since they came out, but never had the chance. The coyote did not disappoint as it held up much better than the ss 1le I've ran a few times. Only mods I could tell where exhaust, lowered springs, and bigger tires out back. I'm a h/c/e car, around 450 rwhp and 150k miles hahaha. Thanks for reading

I could see a close race stock vs stock with a slight edge to the 5.0 . No way you are pulling that much, if stock. What mods do you have?

EDIT:
Nevermind, I just read what mods you have in your post...

Last edited:

MysticRob

Established Member
Dave, can you give us specifics on the H/C/E work, costs to get it all done, and issues (if any) on CA smog testing? I've always liked the SRT8 300s but didn't know they could be improved to that degree out here.

daves03svt

Established Member
Sure Rob,

I have Inertia Motorsport ported heads, ported intake manifold, srtmax cam, kooks catted Lt, corsa extreme catback. Total have around 3-3.5k into it. Most expensive part was the headers. Car runs great. Had the heads/cam for 100k, with zero issues and passed smog test. Now that I have the Lts I will fail the visual, but haven't needed to smog yet. Before I added the exhaust mods the car put down 460 rwhp and 440rwtq. The shop I use then changed dyno types, and after my full exhaust it put down 450rwhp and 450tq. On a dyno jet it put out 490rwhp and 460 rwtq, but we all know dynos are just for tuning and numbers can mean very little. I love the car and the way it performs. If you need more info shoot me a pm.

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member
Sure Rob,

I have Inertia Motorsport ported heads, ported intake manifold, srtmax cam, kooks catted Lt, corsa extreme catback. Total have around 3-3.5k into it. Most expensive part was the headers. Car runs great. Had the heads/cam for 100k, with zero issues and passed smog test. Now that I have the Lts I will fail the visual, but haven't needed to smog yet. Before I added the exhaust mods the car put down 460 rwhp and 440rwtq. The shop I use then changed dyno types, and after my full exhaust it put down 450rwhp and 450tq. On a dyno jet it put out 490rwhp and 460 rwtq, but we all know dynos are just for tuning and numbers can mean very little. I love the car and the way it performs. If you need more info shoot me a pm.

That cost surprises me, that's not bad at all. That's parts and labor?

jlm961

Established Member
I could see a close race stock vs stock with a slight edge to the 5.0 . No way you are pulling that much, if stock. What mods do you have?

EDIT:
Nevermind, I just read what mods you have in your post...

I was thinking that the coyote would have a fair advantage if both were stock since it's quite a bit lighter than the srt. Good kill though. I do like the srt's.

Users who are viewing this thread