05 Mustang

fastbird86

Established Member
I am looking into maybe buying a '05 Mustang GT for next year, I will most likely run FS with it until it runs out of warrenty then move to ESP.

I was wondering if any of the settings from the last gen mustang can carry over to the '05, I know you can fit a bigger tire than the 235 width stock tire and what would be the largest tire I can fit on a 8 inch wide rim as far as race tires go. If I get the car I will do the maximum amount of mods allowed in stock, I looked and haven't found much by way of shocks and sway bars for the new mustang but I am sure something will come along sooner or later. Also has anybody seen a '05 out at an event? I haven't seen one yet and would also like to get some impressions of what people thought about how it handled.

cito

Official Kumho Shredder
Established Member
You can fit a 275/40/17 on without problems. You have to stay with the same size wheel and offset (though the rules allow for some variance in terms of offset, check with the book).

I have seen one on race tires, and it did not disappoint. It was faster than a very mildly modified 2001 Cobra. I smoked it, but I should have given the differences in the cars. The word is that it will be a good car in FS. The old f-bodies and mach 1's still have something to say though. It will be interesting to see what the GTO will do this year, and next year, the CTS-V is probably going to be in FS as well. Go light on the options (i.e., no big radio, unneeded weight of leather, etc.), and you might think about waiting until 2006 when more wheel size options, and, thus, tire options, are available.

There is a good thread on this on the SCCAFORUMS.Com site.

Good luck man.

SoftBatch

Keep Firing Assholes
Established Member
cito said:
You can fit a 275/40/17 on without problems. You have to stay with the same size wheel and offset (though the rules allow for some variance in terms of offset, check with the book).

I have seen one on race tires, and it did not disappoint. It was faster than a very mildly modified 2001 Cobra. I smoked it, but I should have given the differences in the cars. The word is that it will be a good car in FS. The old f-bodies and mach 1's still have something to say though. It will be interesting to see what the GTO will do this year, and next year, the CTS-V is probably going to be in FS as well. Go light on the options (i.e., no big radio, unneeded weight of leather, etc.), and you might think about waiting until 2006 when more wheel size options, and, thus, tire options, are available.

There is a good thread on this on the SCCAFORUMS.Com site.

Good luck man.

I just shot an email off to John Schotz do you think the 275s would be safe ona stock bullitt rim?

cito

Official Kumho Shredder
Established Member
I am not an engineer,
but I know a little bit
enough to know
that the 275's should fit
(uhm, just a little Jay-Z reference)

I have seen it done. And Dave Schotz ran 275/40's on 17x8 rims when he won FS at Nationals 2004 in a Mach 1. Shouldn't be a problem. You do need a good tire shop, some guys will give up on the Kumho's without even putting up a fight to get them on.

WPGFORDGUY

Established Member
SoftBatch said:
I just shot an email off to John Schotz do you think the 275s would be safe ona stock bullitt rim?

I used to run BFG gForce KD's 275's on stock bullits and killed them, floded over like crazy. Minimum 9 inch rim for 275's

SoftBatch

Keep Firing Assholes
Established Member
Here is the thread about Dave Shotz's use of 275 on 17x8

Hey Dave Schotz, please tell us mustang folks about the nationals!

Also FS does not allow carry overs between model years.

ESP does but the carry over for the 05 Mustang GT is 2005+ so you can't remove the rear seat al'a 2000 Cobra R.

Right now were are stuck with the after market for ESP which basically means you can do just about anything as far as replacing parts except for subfram connectors and internal engine mods.

RAT

'05 Sportsman Of The Year
Established Member
WPGFORDGUY said:
I used to run BFG gForce KD's 275's on stock bullits and killed them, floded over like crazy. Minimum 9 inch rim for 275's

This is a street tire and not a good idea on 8" rims. The 275 tires being talked about are R compound racing tires with a very stiff sidewall and will not be a problem on the 8" wheels. I've heard of 275's on 7.5" wheels before, but it was not on a Mustang.

Right now were are stuck with the after market for ESP which basically means you can do just about anything as far as replacing parts except for subfram connectors and internal engine mods.

I'd like to add one thing to this.
The most gear you can run in ESP would be 3.55, per update/backdate rule. Any more gear will bump you to Street Mod.

The rules allow for a 1/4" wheel offset variance from stock.

SoftBatch

Keep Firing Assholes
Established Member

I'd like to add one thing to this.
The most gear you can run in ESP would be 3.55, per update/backdate rule. Any more gear will bump you to Street Mod.
A way around this is running lower profile tires. 275/40/17s are like having 3.76 gears in the back compared to stock '05 wheels and tires.

The rules allow for a 1/4" wheel offset variance from stock.
:clarification: This applies to the Stock Classes since they are the only classes with any limitation regarding changes to offset.

SoftBatch

Keep Firing Assholes
Established Member
I was reading a thread on SCCAforum and some people have been running 295s on 17x8 in the back of the '05, I am trying to get some more information on it now.

WPGFORDGUY

Established Member
SoftBatch said:
I was reading a thread on SCCAforum and some people have been running 295s on 17x8 in the back of the '05, I am trying to get some more information on it now.

295! :eek:

cito

Official Kumho Shredder
Established Member
295's on a 17x8 wouldn't be worth it. I have 295's on 17x9, and I think the car was actually better with the 275's. I do think the 275's on the 17x8 would work well however.

americanthunder

nuts and bolts
Established Member
Im running 275s on 8" rim on the rear, driving around the city is not an issue, driving at speed with the suspension loaded around a corner on the edge of the tires breaking loose and having all of a sudden the rear rear of the car shift when the tire folds is a issue, If you want the big tire look you have to buck up and by the correct rim size,if you want more contact area your not going to get it by squeezing too big of tire on too small of rim the top of the tire will be mushroomed and your tire contact will mostlikely be less,just my personal experience

Users who are viewing this thread