05 GT STS Turbo Set up!

CobraKalas

Established Member
STS bad idea, i mean cmon, the air has to go all the way to the back of the car, thru the turbos, then all the way to the front just to get into the intake, WTF

bad98sst

fast pickemup
Established Member
1999CobraR said:
STS bad idea, i mean cmon, the air has to go all the way to the back of the car, thru the turbos, then all the way to the front just to get into the intake, WTF

Now I cant speak from experience, but dont go bashing the sts setups without knowing anything about them :nonono: . Nearly everyone jumps to the conclusion that they must suck because of lag...water haazards etc... but take a minute to look at how some of these setups are performing in soo many cars and trucks. If they "dont work" as you proclaim...then why are they selling and why are so many people having outstanding results with them?

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
It's simple turbo design premis. Turbo work based on the rapidly expanding exhaust gasses. Rapidly expanding means heat. A lot of which is lost through the pipes during it's trip to the turbocharger in the rear of the car.

So not only do you have significantly less heat energy to drive the turbine, you've also got a mile of intake pipe plus intercooler that likely sees a significant pressure drop.

Will it work? Sure will. Will it work as well as a properly designed system that takes thermo-dynamics in to account? probabyl not.

My opinion is it's a half-assed kit.

VEE EIGHT

Banned
$8k...jeebus!

Personally, Im not a fan of the system. The concept is simple yes, but c'mon, the setup is rediculous. Look @ the dyno graphs, it takes forever to make any decent power in the RPM range.

Last edited:

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
1999CobraR said:

I agree, the STS kit may have a few quick running cars, but it's still a inefficient setup when compared to a tradtional turbo setup. The #'s posted on that site are not impressive either, 447rwhp / 480rwtq. There are KB 05 GT's making 50rwhp more on the same boost with the stock engine.

baylorbear98GT

Established Member
Torch10th said:
It's simple turbo design premis. Turbo work based on the rapidly expanding exhaust gasses. Rapidly expanding means heat. A lot of which is lost through the pipes during it's trip to the turbocharger in the rear of the car.

So not only do you have significantly less heat energy to drive the turbine, you've also got a mile of intake pipe plus intercooler that likely sees a significant pressure drop.

Will it work? Sure will. Will it work as well as a properly designed system that takes thermo-dynamics in to account? probabyl not.

My opinion is it's a half-assed kit.

+ 100 smart post

FreedomSvoboda

Sts seems to be performing well on some cars and bad on others. What i have seen and heard is that sts kits can run strong if they are set up properly but most cars that have those kits on gain a low amount of power compared to other set ups. :shrug:

mikes93cobra

Established Member
theres a guy with an STS setup on his ls1 SS. his car is pretty stock except bolt-ons and turbo kit. car is an auto and runs consistent 10.80's in the 1/4 on dr's, dont know the exact number of boost hes runnin tho. i think the car traps 127 ish. oh and it sounds killer

Users who are viewing this thread