04 Terminator engine rebuild help

Meerology

Established Member
Hi, Ive decided to rebuild my engine as im planning on going max hp on 93 octane.
I would like some help in choosing the right build.
Its a weekend car with the occasional drag strip.

My car currently has:

Jlt ram intake
Monoblade throttlebody (don’t know which one)
A big crank pulley (Think its Metco)
2.930 supercharger pulley
Walbro returnless fuel pump
Headers
Offroad h pipe
Cams (think theyre comp stage 1, idle is definitely not stock but not as lopey as a stage 2 cam and found some comp stage 1 papers in the glove box)
4.10 gears (if I remember correctly)

Ive come to
Comp stage 2 cams (if it would be worth changing)
Comp valve springs
Comp steel retainers
EAGLE 4.6L 4340 FORGED CHROMOLY STEEL CRANKSHAFT (.011" LONGER STROKE)
OLIVER 4.6L AND 5.0L COYOTE BILLET I-BEAM CONNECTING ROD SET

Havent decided:
Head gasket 92mm or 94mm
Which pistons (stock bore/0.020 over/0.030 over. Flat top/dish top. What cc?)
Which rod/main bearings?
Which bolts?

Anything else Ive missed?

I removed the oil pan to check if it had an Eagle stroker kit (as I was told it did) which it didnt but the connecting rods bolts were ARP and I think the crank has been machined due to some rust formation on the crank. Oil pump is surprisingly new as well as the connecting rods which are the stock Cobra's. (Some rebuild happened recently?) I managed to find some history about the engine and 2 cylinders were misfiring #4 is one, cant remember the other. Motor will be dismantled on Monday and will check if the pistons are stock or not. Ive been told the pistons are 0.030 over.

If the pistons are aftermarket regardless what bore they are, should I reuse them?

I will be putting a bigger blower in a few months time.

Last edited:

Rambro

Established Member
If it has to be on 93 pump you're really limited as far as what you can do. You'll need to keep the compression low or you could bump the compression and run less boost. If you put a 2.3 or bigger blower on you won't be able to spin it hard unless you use something to boost the octaine. Torcco or meth? And I can't stress enough to do your research on what machine shop/builder you are going to use. You need to find someone who is good at building a 4 valve and this may not be easy. Maybe ask around at some shops or ask the folks at your local track who is logos with a mod motor.

Meerology

Established Member
If it has to be on 93 pump you're really limited as far as what you can do. You'll need to keep the compression low or you could bump the compression and run less boost. If you put a 2.3 or bigger blower on you won't be able to spin it hard unless you use something to boost the octaine. Torcco or meth? And I can't stress enough to do your research on what machine shop/builder you are going to use. You need to find someone who is good at building a 4 valve and this may not be easy. Maybe ask around at some shops or ask the folks at your local track who is logos with a mod motor.
Should I stay on the stock compression or go lower? I might use torco or meth if needed.

Rambro

Established Member
If you don't ever plan on running e85 I would think maybe keep it down in the 8.5 to 9.0:1 range. Maybe do a race gas tune and pulley it down for track days. I like the idea of running more compression and less boost. You really need to find out what you already have in there. I hope it's not .030 over, I've always heard .020 is the max on a 4.6 block.

Rambro

Established Member
And I wouldn't mess with the cams especially if they are already aftermarket in there. If the rotating assembly checks out maybe find a good teskid or 3 valve block to put it in. The aluminum block will shave about 80 pounds off the front end.

Meerology

Established Member
And I wouldn't mess with the cams especially if they are already aftermarket in there. If the rotating assembly checks out maybe find a good teskid or 3 valve block to put it in. The aluminum block will shave about 80 pounds off the front end.
Finding a teksid in my area is near impossible. By 3v block do you mean a 2005-2009 GT block?
Would the cobra heads fit on those? Any motor mounts or k member modifications required?

Meerology

Established Member
Would the clutch and transmission fit the 3v block?

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
Finding a teksid in my area is near impossible. By 3v block do you mean a 2005-2009 GT block?
Would the cobra heads fit on those? Any motor mounts or k member modifications required?

You should have looked at the build thread I linked: it would have answered those questions.

Would the clutch and transmission fit the 3v block?

More on the 3V/Nemak block and such (with the actual weights):

http://www.terminator-cobra.com/castings.htm

Users who are viewing this thread